Was it the egg size?

bbstx

Yesterday I made banana pudding (ordered 4 bananas in last grocery order; got 4 BUNCHES of bananas - 21 bananas) using the original Nilla Vanilla Wafer Banana Pudding recipe. It calls for “3 eggs“ without specifying what size eggs. I assumed large eggs were probably most common. I have jumbo eggs right now.

Using the Incredible Egg conversion chart of 3 large equals 2 jumbo, I used 2 jumbo eggs. I cooked and stirred and cooked and stirred, but the custard never thickened to the degree I thought it ought to. It coated the back of a spoon and held the line when I swiped it, but it seemed a bit runny. After about 20 - 25 minutes, I gave up and constructed the banana pudding. I hoped that the time in the oven would help thicken the custard. Nope.

The custard was thicker than heavy cream but not thick enough to hold its shape. I guess the consistency was closer to a thick cream soup. Do you think it was because I only used 2 eggs? Did the custard need that 3rd yolk?

Fortunately, DH will eat banana pudding even if he has to drink the custard.

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cloud Swift

It may be too little egg. Large eggs are supposed to be about 2 ounces per egg, jumbo about 2.5. 3 large would be about ounces. For jumbo, 2 are ~5 oz & 3 are ~7.5 oz, so the conversion you used was the closest without splitting an egg, but, for a custard, I'd round up or at least do 2 plus a yolk.

Save     Thanked by bbstx
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Short answer: probably, yes.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by bbstx
bbstx

Thanks. I didn’t use 3 because I was afraid it would taste too eggy. However, this morning when I made muffins, the recipe called for 3 large eggs. I used 3 jumbo after yesterday’s custard fiasco. The muffins came out fine. Lesson learned.

2 Likes Save    
chloebud

If a recipe just lists "3 eggs," I use whatever I have on hand...usually extra-large. Been doing it for years and never had a problem. Not long ago I made banana bread with 2 eggs that looked closer to maybe medium than the "extra-large" listed in the recipe. It's a recipe I've used for years...no difference at all.

1 Like Save     Thanked by bbstx
bragu_DSM 5

As banana [or applesauce] can be an egg replacement in baking, I would say you probably needed the three full eggs. Then again, did you/could you add a starch slurry to thicken? Or flax seed [but that might be funky].

Nothing wrong with cold bananananana pudding on cereal ... lol

bbstx

@bragu_DSM 5, I had plenty of eggs (remember, I sold a car this weekend for cash + eggs. HA!). The only reason I used 2 instead of 3 was fear of changing the flavor. I think my caution was misplaced. I will pass along to DH your recommendation for banana pudding on cereal. He would eat it on bark, if I gave it to him!

So far, I’ve made banana muffins and banana pudding. I’ve frozen 3 very ripe bananas to be used some time in the future for muffins. And I’ve still got 5 more bananas setting on the counter ripening! I love not going into the grocery store. I was doing pick-up long before the corona virus reared its ugly head. But sometimes you get little surprises like 21 bananas!

Save    
Cloud Swift

I sympathize with the ordering issue. I look forward to the day that I can go to the store and pick my own produce rather than relying on a picker.

We had our own quantity snafu but an easier one to deal with. We don't use many prepared foods, but my husband has a Pepperidge Farm cheddar goldfish addition (and I'll admit that I sometimes indulge too). We meant to order 4 of the 6.6 ounce size and didn't realize that the store carried another size. We ended up with 4 30 ounce boxes of them.

1 Like Save     Thanked by bbstx
bbstx

Cloud, I’ve had the same problem in the past. Once I thought I was ordering DH a small box of soft peppermint candy. Oh, no. It was the gigundo tub! Hope your goldfish have a far out “best by” date!

Save    
plllog

Dang! I haven't had them since I was a kid, but now I'm craving goldfish!

With the egg sizes, I think it matters according to what you're making. If it has to do something useful, like rise or stick or transform (as in custard), better more egg than less. If it has to emulsify, it doesn't matter--in theory you can emulsify a huge vat of oil with a single yolk. An average sized cake with baking powder needs a minimum of two eggs, and three are better, but it doesn't really matter like it does in an egg rising cake. Custard is probably pickier just to have the right consistency. Rule of thumb is two eggs per cup of milk/cream, but I think extra large would work fine. Variations have extra yolks or one extra whole egg.

The thing you really need to worry about if you have too much egg is too much liquid. i don't think more egg would change the flavor so much as the texture. But with all of that, you can adjust the starch, too. Another thing you can do is heat the custard until it just starts to curd and put it through a strainer--not full on scrambled eggs mind you! Just starting to clump--if you need to steam out more liquid. It still tastes custard and is good and thick. ;)

Save    
lindac92

Even if you only used 2 eggs....with the 1/3 cup of flour it should have thickened. do you know that the longer you cook something thickened with flour or cornstarch, the thinner it gets? The flour looses it's thickening power....corn starch does it sooner than flour. So if something isn't thickening, add more flour, or another egg yolk, don't cook it longer

4 Likes Save     Thanked by bbstx
chloebud

Linda's so right regarding "...the thinner it gets." It doesn't take long at all for cornstarch to lose its thickening power.

linda campbell

A custard isn't going to "curd" like scrambled eggs....BBstix said she cooked it for 25 minutes and it didn't thicken. And additional eggs added to a custard makes it thicker not more liquid.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Holidays 16 Creative Ways to Hide Easter Eggs
Crack of dawn on Sunday not your ideal thinking time? Just follow our creative egg-hiding ideas and pretend Peter Cottontail did the work
Full Story
Product Picks Guest Picks: Egg Platters to Keep Those Devils in Their Place
You just might cluck with delight over these perfectly portioned egg plates for Easter and beyond
Full Story
Color Duck Egg Blue, the Friendliest Color Around
This appealing hue transcends trends, spans styles and gets along with many other colors. Could it be right for one of your rooms?
Full Story
At 2 Navy Lane, we pride ourselves on amazing customer service and beautiful designs. We also offer Professional... Read More
We deliver “ceiling to floor” interior design services, and 17 years of experience has afforded our team the... Read More