SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ericllozano

Finishing touch to house: tweeking the living area.

ELLORTHODOX Lozano
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am seeking a similar look for my living area to the 2 other houses in the pictures attached below, specifically the addition of an archway or, preferrably, a double archway just like in the pictures attached that will divide the dining area from the living area. Here is a picture of my floor plan, which has red markings indicating changes that were made on-site during construction (blue marking is the proposed change on which I will elaborate in a bit):

Here is a picture of the house with a single archway along with its floor plan:

Here are a couple of pictures of the house with the double arch (preferred one as it creates an even more highlighted division between rooms:

The layout of the living area of all 3 houses (including mine) is the same: hallway-type foyer with kitchen next to it, opening into the dining area, which in turn opens into the living room. However, due to certain differences in shape and size, it is not possible to simply transfer either of the living areas to mine.

As the house currently exists there doesn't seem to be a whole lot to justify the modification. So, I am seeking to create it as well as improve the balance and circulation of the area. So, far I am thinking that by lowering the front of the kitchen 2 1/2 ft down (pantry and bar) that might create the angle necessary and increase the size of both the dining (from 8ft to 9ft in length) and living area (from 13 1/2 to 15ft in length) necessary to justify the archway(s) while also improving the circulation of the area (for example by having a wider and more inviting entrance into the dining area from the hallway/bed rooms). However, I am not sure these modifications will be enough to accomplish the benefits I just listed. Also, these things seem to call for a bit more minor modifications like angles that lead the circulation of the rooms.

Comment (1)