SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_koch78

Privacy Hedges by Pool area

Susan Koch
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So, I'm looking for privacy hedge, Inland Empire area, pool area (a few feet from pool), so non-invasive, low maintenance-not messy/shedding, grow tall, doesn't attract bees, in a narrow area (about 2-3 feet) Does this exist??? Been looking all over! Please help! No Cypress please!

Comments (35)

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    3 years ago

Few if any shrubs get any height if only 2’-3’ wide. You either need a wider space or a good fence or use trellises and vines. This probably should have been a consideration before the pool install if hedges rather than a fence are important to you.

Susan Koch thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input. So we did install a new fence when we did the pool. We left 2-3ft (where rocks are) to add sime green-some landscaping. We hadn't planned on shrubs (I am not a huge fan of them), but need privacy on that side & figured shrubs was the best solution.

• Related Discussions

Privacy hedge/plants for damn, narrow space behind pool

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks again for very good advice. I will definitely try to be patient. I think just having any sort of greenery in there will help a lot. Now it just seems like a mass amount of wood. I think we will be okay if we plant it now, like War Eagle said. We had a nasty winter and the ground is finally thawed enough to dig. So long as we don't let them dry out back there, but in general, it is always moist and we will keep them watered generously over the summer. I have one more question - rather than extend our line of trees all the way across the back to the corner, i'm thinking of ending it at the corner of the pool, right before the waterfall that goes into the pool (which, right now, is a few two-by-fours that look like a football goal. We will eventually build a stone wall below it on that angle of the pool for visual interest.) That corner behind the waterfall is where we keep the pool's electrical box and heater. There is about a 5x5 foot space back there in that corner in front of the equipment. (see photo below). I wanted to plant something different that will contrast the Degroots Spire and be larger and grow above the waterfall. Could even be something deciduous as long as it's not messy over the summer when the pool is uncovered. We generally close our pool at the end of September before the leaves fall. Keeping in mind that back corner is moist, can you suggest something that can go back there (and that the root system won't mess with the pool's underground pipes too much? Or should i just run the Degroots all the way to the corner? Thanks again in advance! Denise
    ...See More

privacy hedge in a wet area

Q

Comments (4)
    I might solely choose 'Monlo'/'Diablo' "Ninebark" (Physocarpus opulifolius) for your zone. No pests ever on this extremely hardy shrub. Thick deciduous form with a profusion of white lace-cap flowers in early summer (June in my climate), and the bark has interest as well. Decent fall color, fruit adorned by birds and wildlife. Here's a great site: Dax Here is a link that might be useful: Selecting Shrubs For Your Home - Wet Sites
    ...See More

privacy hedge to grow in shaded area? (SE FL)

Q

Comments (5)
    I would NOT plant the yews if you let your horse wander around the yard. In fact, there are many plants and native weeds that are toxic to horses here in Florida, one is Lantana, another is Deadly Nightshade, another is Johnson Grass, also wild cherry trees. There are also others. If you don't know them go to your local extension office and ask for info. I was told that most horses if well fed won't eat the toxic weeds but you never know and vet bills for horses (ponies) aren't cheap.
    ...See More

Privacy hedge for shady area

Q

Comments (2)
    Nellie Stevens hollies do well in shade, but may not be dense enough to keep dogs contained unless there is a fence behind them. You could always layer your plants with the hedge behind plants of interest. If there is a fence, climbing hydrangea is great on fences and you could add height with chicken wire that wouldn't show once the plants are established. No need to prune these and they will grow even higher than the six feet you are looking for. Remember if you plant boxwood you need to pick it (pinch out pieces to let air and light in) in December to keep it healthy. I've used the pieces to decorate inside and make wreaths-smells wonderful.
    ...See More
  • lkloes
    3 years ago

Star jasmine, although pretty and vigorous, are very messy. You’ll constantly be skimming leaves and flowers from your pool.

Susan Koch thanked lkloes
  • Mrs. S
    3 years ago

How about Texas privet... There's a hedge called buxus sempervirens (I believe that's the spelling) that might satisfy your needs. You can head to your local nursery to ask questions. It's hotter where you are than where I am near San Diego.

I would've recommended cypress. You don't like them?

Susan Koch thanked Mrs. S
  • Embothrium
    3 years ago

Anything with small parts is problematic around swimming pools. Hence the original question - Inland Empire = too cold for bananas, palms etc.

Susan Koch thanked Embothrium
  • Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the input all. So as for the trellis, that's an idea, but ignore my ignorance, they will grow as tall as the trellis, correct? I kind of need tall because you can't see in pic, but my neighbors kids window (2nd story) looks right into our yard, and I hate it!

Yes, definitely hotter here than San Diego. I have gone to nursery and will go again, but it just seems the days I go the employees don't know much!

Originally I wanted Cypress, but notice they don't always fill in all the gaps and see a lot of them with big chunks dying/missing.

• Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So around here we do have palms and white birds of paradise, (which I do really like) which we were originally thinking of planting there, but again, kind of wanted that "wall" of green privacy!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

Why don't you show us a picture that explains what need for privacy you have? As of now, we are blind to it ... so can't help except to make random stabs in the dark.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

As noted by babs in the first response, a 2-3 foot planting width is not going to be able to accommodate much of anything with any kind of height!! Even very columnar evergreens will fill or exceed that available area and will be overly crowded for proper growth and air flow. You might be able to get away with palms but nothing that will provide a "wall of green" and still grow tall enough to shield views from a second story window.

No birds of paradise :-) And it would take the rest of your life and probably that of your children to have Buxus sempervirens grow tall enough to provide anything remotely suitable for privacy screening!! An extremely slow growing shrub!!

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs
    3 years ago

Yes, the plant would only grow as tall as the trellises, maybe slightly above. I was just trying to think of something that would fit in the narrow space you have.

I have one more possible suggestion - Citronella. We planted three tiny Citronella plants a year ago and they are as tall as our fence now. Very hardy. They're bushy, but you can trim them so they're more flat. I trim our Citronella plants to shape them how I want them to grow, and they are y'all and sturdy. Bonus it repels mosquitoes.

This is the only photo I could find of our plant. This was about a month ago and it's too the very top of the fence now. It's growing along the fence for us, almost vine like.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

The above plant - "citronella" - is just a scented geranium, Pelargonium citrosum. And while it can grow larger in a beneficent, warm climate garden, it will never be a screening shrub. It just cannot grow that large.

And despite online sources to the contrary, it does not repel mosquitoes :-) Real citronella is the essential oil from lemongrass, Cymbopogon. The geranium just smells faintly similar but it has no insect repelling properties.

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs
    3 years ago

Ok, well ours our currently 6 feet tall and starting to poke up over our fence...so that's why mentioned it. I'm not a plant expert, just going off something I have in my own yard. It was labeled citronella at our nursery and labeled as a bug repellent, so I would assume it would be labeled similarly at other nurseries. Thank you for the information though.

Also, my parents have boxwood (I think that's what it is, might be wrong) to screen their spa. It's in a pretty narrow space.

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs
    3 years ago

What's this @gardengal? Just saw it on my walk, would this work?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

That’s a Podicarpus, LL., but note the debris on the ground. You stipulated no mess.

The scented Pelargonium suggested, while it might grow tall in a conducive climate, is not a shrub ie it doesn’t produce a woody framework. So if a storm came along it’d be flattened. Sadly, the information about insect repellant qualities is oft repeated, even by nurseries, but is inaccurate.

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Why do I always feel stung and rebuked by gardengal? Is it me? She makes me feel stupid, and I know I'm not. I defer to her knowledge...but I think it's less helpful to list what WONT work than try to help you with what will work. So, I'm going to stick my neck out and give more information.

My earlier suggestion was based on (1) living in SoCal, and (2) viewing neighbors' tall, narrow hedges near where I live. Furthermore, I couched my suggestion with further recommending that a visit to a local nursery for local, expert advice.

Of note, I just drove by the hedge I was originally thinking of, which is Texas privet (Ligustrum Japonicum, I believe). It is planted in an approximately 12 inch gap between a fence and a lawn--a tight space. It is over my head, and tightly manicured by a professional landscaper. It does have flowers--and I don't know if it drops a lot. You can do your research. It is used extensively near me for privacy-type hedges.

I can tell you that I used to be concerned about flowering plants around the pool, thinking I don't want kids to get stung by bees. Over time, I have put quite a lot of flowered plants directly in those locations, and it has not been an issue at all. Secondly, though there are times when some small amount of stuff gets into the pool, we have high quality filters, etc, and even daily swims by our dogs have produced no ill effects in the pool. Dog hair is filtered out. I wouldn't want a big tree nearby though, dropping leaves. What I'm saying is, there's probably going to be a compromise somewhere.

Finally, here are some photos of solutions others have used, like pergolas and planter boxes for these situations. See how some of the photos built up a planter box, which could provide a bit more room for the plants?

Last suggestion is that you may want to check out bamboo. I personally hate bamboo and wouldn't plant it anywhere, as I have struggled with my neighbor's "clumping" bamboo which supposedly isn't too invasive, but it is crossing our property line and I hate that. However, in your circumstance, it might be tightly controlled and serve your purpose. I know it grows quickly.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"It was labeled citronella at our nursery and labeled as a bug repellent, so I would assume it would be labeled similarly at other nurseries."

A lot of nurseries can label plants incorrectly, specially when it comes to common names. And the insect repellent qualities of the geranium - or lack thereof - are well documented online. This is a common misunderstanding about citronella and its source. It is not from the Pelargonium/geranium but only from the lemongrass.

• PRO
    Casa Bella Designs
    3 years ago

Yes, I understood what you said, I was just telling how it was labeled because other nurseries may have it labeled the same.

I live in Southern CA also, in LA county but not too far from the IE. So I figured we have similar climate and similar plants would work.

Also, I agree with Mrs. S about flowering plants around the pool. We have plants and flowers surrounding our pool on 3 sides, and it has never been an issue. We swim every day and rarely have to skim. The star Jasmine's by the pool have never been an issue for us.

• Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to help...I really appreciate it! I have taken months to find something, which is why I reached out! I am attaching some more pics so you can see my exact situation.

So a couple comments/questions to the comments below...

My next choice was Podicarpus, until I came across a discussion about them here (which is how I discovered this site) which scared me away from them!?!

Gardengal said "no White Birds of Paradise" ...just wondering why? I did want to place them in other places around yard!

Mrs. S thank you for finding those ideas....I see trellis can go way above fence too...at this point I am open to anything that will work-- even if it just breaks the sight line!

Bamboo is an option...im scared of it bc i have read lots of negative things about it too.

(the last pic) My other idea, just not sure how/if it will work would be to use big troughs (to give more height) & plant something there (would have to figure out what still- maybe bamboo) & if its worth going that route!?!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

"Gardengal said "no White Birds of Paradise" ...just wondering why? I did want to place them in other places around yard!"

They will simply get much too large for that location :-) Elsewhere in the garden might be fine.

Clumping bamboo would be good choice. Clumping bamboo is not at all invasive and spreads rather slowly. But it still will spread, albeit modestly, and the spacing there is just so tight, I'd be inclined to grow it in a container.

• Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do you know if it sheds a lot, and do u think in a container it would get decently tall? Thanks agin for help!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

All plants will shed but bamboo is evergreen and so does not shed as heavily as many other choices. And clumping bamboo comes in a range of sizes. Bambusa oldhamii, aka giant timber bamboo, can reach heights of 60' but will be much shorter in a container. You should be able to find several different varieties that will give you 15-20' of screening

• Lisa Dipiro
    3 years ago

How about noninvasive bamboo?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Clumping bamboo IS non-invasive.

• Fori
    3 years ago

I have a small clump of unidentified bamboo by my pool. I get plenty of leaves in the pool, and it's not a big deal. I have an orange tree shading the pool and it's a bit messier, still not a big deal.

I know many people don't know much about pool maintenance and have it done by someone else on a weekly basis, but if you get familiar with the systems, leaves (and fruit) are not a big deal. Of course, you'll still need a broom to keep all that decking clear!

Consider enlarging your planting area for a hedge. It's all a tad sterile-looking right now. Bees are good. If kids are a factor, they should learn how to be near bees. They are totally compatible. Bees are actually kinda fun.

You might want to consider knocking out a well-planned section of that concrete and putting in a serious privacy block: an avocado tree. If you start with a large one and spoil it, it'll grow decently fast. It'll cool the yard and the house. :)

Also avocados.

• Chris
    3 years ago

We have had a lot of success with sweet viburnum. They grow like weeds (up to 2-3’ per year in my zone - 9a) and no mess. They are commonly used as a hedge plant in full sun areas.

Susan Koch thanked Chris
  • Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank You! Going to check those out. Still looking.....

• Debbie
    3 years ago

We just went through a similar search and I spent months researching. We're in the Phoenix, AZ area and ended up going with clumping (i.e. non-running/spreading) bamboo. It's fantastic! There are a lot of bamboo growers with information on the different varieties. The place we bought ours from is called Bamboo Ranch and is in Tucson, AZ. They were wonderful answering my many questions and helping me to narrow down the best option. And the bamboo has grown a ton in just a few months - on it's way to blocking out our neighbors behind us. It does have some leaf litter but it's nothing major at all. We get more stuff in the pool from other plants and flowers from things that aren't right by the pool area but that get blown in. There are a few varieties of bamboo - clumping - that grow tall in narrow width areas that would work well for you. Good luck!

Susan Koch thanked Debbie
  • Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank You! We are leaning towards bamboo! Bamboo was actually my very first choice/want. I've always liked the look of it. One of our neighbors down the street has it, not sure kind, but tall & pretty (i can see it from about 3-4 houses down) but for some reason read/heard some negative things about it along the way

Now I realize there are different types/varieties so looking for a nursery down here where I can get more info.! I'm not too concerned about some litter in the pool. We get lots from other neighbors trees, just don't want something high maintenance with too much litter! So, since your in AZ & I know it gets super hot there, leaves don't dry out, just cuz ive seen Bamboo at Home Depot (no idea which type) & lots of dried out leaves!??! Thanks!

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

My driveway is currently lined with spent bamboo leaves because every spring and summer the moso bamboo hedge on one side sheds its old leaves. As do many broadleaf evergreens. If I had an uncovered swimming pool within the dropping zone of the hedge there would be a constant shower of small dead leaves onto the water during this time.

Susan Koch thanked Embothrium
  • Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yup, that's what I've noticed when I've seen them, the other thing that scared me away from them! The area we would plant them on is a few feet from pool, which is a plus, but just not sure with wind, how much/often it sheds, needs to be cleaned up, etc.!? I understand every plant sheds, but just don't want to have to clean up after it every day!

The worst memory that sticks with me the most was years ago our friends had a bunch of bamboo lined up along their pool area, very close to the pool, and the amount of litter was crazy, BUT, first, I have no idea what type of bamboo it was, if that even matters, and don't know if they ever cleaned it up, took care of the area, or they just let it go! The yard was not very well taken care of overall, so, not sure if I can really go by that memory!?!

• Debbie
    3 years ago

We've had the bamboo since March. We were told that they do go through a period of shedding old leaves (which was around the time we planted) but the leaves seem to drop down. We have them planted in a hollowed out space so I think that helps to contain them. The place we bought them from only grows the varieties that have proven to grow well in the AZ heat and these have definitely grown extremely well! We did have some dry leaves about a week or so after they were planted but it didn't last long and they look amazing. There are lots and lots of varieties of bamboo - if you're interested, I would do some research and see if there's something that would work for your space. The other idea we had considered was to do a pergola or a shade sail and then do lower planted pots or plant smaller scale bushes or succulents along the wall.

• Susan Koch
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank You! I am researching Bamboo!

So we went to Moon Valley nursery yesterday & they tried to sell us on Indian Laurel, which i thought was great, until I realized it was Ficus (pool- pavers- very invasive roots) so back to Bamboo! We did buy a shade sail, but didn't fit. We would have to have one custom made. As for Pergola, would love to replace and extend, but thats project #5!🤣 Pool & fence were project #1! Other plants/shrubs Ive heard mentioned that seem to be ok are Wax Myrtle (bayberry) & Hopseed Bush. Back to researching, but Bamboo def. on top of my list! By the way, a gardener ive used told me he knows a guy that grows bamboo (still waiting to find out what kind). Its in 18 gallon, about 10ft tall for $180. Any idea if thats a reasonable price??

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Knowing the dread results of having even non-running bamboo on my nextdoor neighbor's property, and not being a landscape expert, I would not recommend purchasing bamboo from any other than a reputable nursery and even then, asking for reassurance as to the specific label on the bamboo and checking yourself, online, to make sure the types match. You don't want to accidentally end up with running bamboo. Even if it costs you a bit more.

• Debbie
    3 years ago

The sail shade is tricky - but they are effective! You may want to look around and see if you can find a size that would fit - or if you can extend the connection line on a side or two to make it longer. They look great overlapping or layered too. I considered hopseed bushes as well - they look really nice, grow quickly and don't litter much at all. The only thing is they can get wide, so you'd need to stay on top of them in terms of trimming for your narrow space. I ended up deciding on the bamboo because I didn't want a bush look and we have a fairly long space. And the price for the bamboo you were quoted is a good one! We paid $150 each and I think they were 15 gallons and were about 5' tall. Also find out about delivery and planting. You may be better off with large planters or troughs and put whatever you like that will grow tall and reasonably dense in there - you'd get more height immediately and it would look good too.