SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

Improve recipe? Florribean grouper with red pepper-papaya jam

rob333 (zone 7b)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We made this for dinner and it was pretty good, but we think it needed something more. What would you change? I think I would've gone mango instead of papaya and added cilantro and green onions. Son says a stronger flavored fish. What would you change?
https://www.thedailymeal.com/recipes/floribbean-grouper-red-pepper-papaya-jam-recipe
Ingredients
Jam:
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup diced peeled papaya
1/2 teaspoon chopped jalapeño pepper
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Dash of salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
Grouper:
1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped dry-roasted cashews
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
2 (6-ounce) grouper fillets
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons butter
Lime wedges (optional)
Step 1
To prepare jam, combine first 3 ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth.
Step 2
Combine water, sugar, red wine vinegar, and dash of salt in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium. Add pureed bell pepper mixture; cook 7 minutes or until thickened and reduced to 1/2 cup, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice. Cool.
Step 3
Preheat oven to 350
Step 4
To prepare grouper, place the panko, coconut, and cashews in food processor; pulse 4 times or until cashews are finely chopped. Place panko mixture in a shallow dish. Place flour in another shallow dish; place egg whites in another shallow dish. Sprinkle fillets with 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Dredge 1 fillet in flour. Dip fillet into egg whites; dredge in panko mixture, gently pressing coating onto fillet to adhere. Repeat procedure with remaining fillet, flour, egg whites, and panko mixture.
Step 5
Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fillets; cook 2 minutes or until lightly browned on bottom. Turn fillets over; wrap handle of pan with foil. Place pan in oven; bake at 350° for 8 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Serve immediately with jam and lime wedges, if desired.

Comments (10)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I despise Houzz's formatting that removes the returns!!! It's so easy to read. NOT!!!! Thanks. Thanks a lot.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean, rob. It looks normal to me, but I'm reading it on a desktop PC. Are you using a phone or something else?

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

I would not like a stronger fish. You've got tons of flavorful things in there. What about more heat in the jammy sauce? A touch more acid and less sugar? Green onions yes, but not sure about the cilantro. You could make the jam and add some cilantro to a spoonful and see if you like it, but to me, it doesn't go with the other flavors as well (altho I could be wrong.) For me, maybe some garlic?

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked sushipup1
  • DawnInCal
    3 years ago

More jalapeno pepper and I think some ginger would provide additional flavor. Also, less sugar. I would put some chopped red onion in the jam along with the garlic suggested by sushipup and garnish the dish with green onion.

I don't like baked fish, so I would finish cooking it in the skillet.

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked DawnInCal
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You're right, I did add extra jalapeno. We did pan fry it and never put it in the oven. Thinking about it more, I do believe I'd add seasoning to the fish coating.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

For me personally, I would take out the coconut. I like lime in this kind of recipe so I would probably add lime zest, maybe to the fish. I would have to taste the jam to see how lime zest would be as an addition.

rob333 (zone 7b) thanked blfenton
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like the idea of lime zest, especially in the coating.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

I'd better start by saying I haven't cooked grouper. But thats a lot more than I do to just about any seafood. My standby method is only S&P, a little butter, oven or grill and it must be fresh, not previously frozen. I do like lime or lemon on the side. We like fish, and shellfish. In reading that recipe I'm thinking vinegar, sugar, peppers, fruit, coconut....where's the fish ;0)

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I too like fish, shellfish. I'm landlocked, so we don't get fresh seafood. Sea being the key word

;)