SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Ant problem or structural problem?

Alisande
3 years ago

I had a new roof put on my c. 1850 farmhouse last year. The roofer discovered that three layers of shingles had been put on the house without any plywood underneath. There were some issues during and after the roof job, including a leak into the attic that he fixed twice with tar and then said there was nothing more he could do. (He's a local guy, and I regret my decision to hire him.)

Anyway, I was up in the attic the other day and noticed some fine brown particles in several places. It was obvious they came from the peak of the "ceiling." The attic ceiling consists of angled beams with insulation batts between them and plywood sheets covering the insulation. My photos show a space at the peak where the plywood sheets don't quite meet. Visible in that space were some small dark ants.

The brown particles looked to me like debris from rotting wood. My house is built of hemlock. The ants look like the ones that show up in my bathrooms every spring. I assume they're moisture-seeking, so I'm worried that I may have wet wood under the new roof. I can't think why else ants would be hanging out in the insulation. It's possible the new roof leaks, but it's also possible the roofer put the new roof down on wood that was wet. I don't know if it'll have a chance to dry under these conditions.

I guess I'll have to contact a company with a good reputation and have them take a look at it, but if anyone has any thoughts on this, I'd appreciate the added information. I'm feeling clueless, and dreading another big expense. Thanks!

Comments (5)