SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katebudzick

How to insulate finished attic 1920s 1 1/2 story bungalow

katebudzick
3 years ago

Our 1920s 1 &1/2 story brick bungalow in Chicago has a finished attic. Our inspection report showed that the insulation was not done correctly. The slanted part of the roof is insulated as opposed to the knee walls. However, looking online I’ve seen that some say it can be done either way. I don’t want to cause damage to our roof, but it will be very expensive to have all the insulation removed and redone, so I am wondering if it is really necessary. I also like having that space for storage so it is nice to me that it is insulated against the cold. Would appreciate any advice as to what to look for to determine if the current insulation is ok or not and/ or any advice to (hopefully) avoid the big job of having it all removed and redone. I am a first time homeowner so I am on a steep learning curve and am grateful for your help! we have soffits (not sure if

this is relevant) and also a power ventilation fan which the inspection report said to disconnect because it draws conditioned air out of the finished space. Also not sure if that is relevant but trying to give as much info as I can do someone can help guide me!

Comments (2)