SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosier_nan

Lava Flow dethroned as first to bloom in the garden

Lave Flow has always been the first to bloom in our garden. Last year Lava Flow tied with Buddy's Betsy for the first. But this year, four daylilies have dethroned Lava Flow as the first. Buddy's Betsy is blooming today, but the flower didn't open right. Stella's Ruffled fingers has one deformed flower open. Unstoppable is the third one in first place.

The fourth one in third place is Heavenly Bengal Tiger. This flower is on what we call a 'cheater scape'. The scape began to form last season but didn't make it. It grows from the outside of the fan and doesn't usually get as tall as the regular scapes, sometimes blooming way down in the foliage. H. Bengal Tiger is prone to make cheater scapes

The seedlings have started to bloom also. There was one that was worthy to be named Queen of the seedling bed. This one is Buddy's Betsy X Gary Lynn's Calliopsis.

This is (Pumpkin Prince X Bodacious Bite) X Sir Francis Drake.

This is a half sib to the previous one--(Pumpkin Prince X Bodacious Bite) X Small World Fire in the Hole. We are very happy with this one. The pod parent is a seedling of ours that is vigorous and fertile, but the flower is so so. We are crossing fancier red/yellows on it in hopes to get its vigor with the face of the pollen parent. We succeeded here. Whether this seedling is vigorous, only time will tell.

This is Geometric Wizard X Smoke Shadows. In the world of patterns it's nothing to write home about. The petal color is muddy, a common problem in patterns, if you ask me.

The next one is one of those crosses where you ask yourself why did I make this cross. It produced lots of seeds but the flowers are just ok.

We are trying to do some work outside today, but the wind is terrible. I'll be glad when this tropical depression goes away.

Nancy

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus