SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samnsarah

Development of a Chinese Pistache Tree

Tim
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

When I first planted this Chinese Pistache tree, it was very awkward looking. My daughter described it pretty well when she said, "Dad, it looks like you found a forked stick and stuck it in the ground." Fortunately, this forked stick has developed quite well. After seven years it's actually beginning to look like a real tree. Below is photographic timeline of the development of this tree. If anyone else has recently planted one or is considering it, I would tell you to be patient. It will grow out of its gangly, awkward state eventually. Also, one word of warning: it appears that Chinese Pistache trees need the right type of climate to produce the bright red, orange, and yellow foliage they have been marketed for. I live in South-central Kansas, and the climate here is not right to produce any stunning fall foliage on this tree. The leaves on this tree turn a reddish brown (mostly brown) in November and then die and fall off. That was very anti-climactic for me to say the least, but I still like it.

First year 2014

Second year 2015

Third year 2016

Fourth year: sorry, but for some reason I don't have a photo from 2017.

Fifth year 2018

Sixth year 2019

Seventh year 2020

Seventh year 2020 (another angle)

Comments (4)