SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girg

Restoring tree bark on Chinese Pistache

girg
16 years ago

I live in Sacramento, CA. I planted a Chinese Pistache tree in my back yard about 6 years ago. There's always been areas of the trunk where the bark appeared very rough, some of which would fall away from the trunk, but it would grow back and the next year the condition would occur again a little higher up the trunk. The tree is now about 12-13 feet tall, 10 feet wide with a 7.5 inch diameter caliper.

Last year it seemed to be a little worse and is now about 5 feet up the trunk and along some of the branches. I have pictures but don't know if I can post them in this forum.

I decided that I'd planted the tree in a bad location (too small an area for what would eventually be a very large tree). Also, I installed 1-foot root barriers in a 4-foot diameter around the tree to control the roots when I planted it. If the bark condition was a result of any stress to the tree, it's probably due to the root barriers. With all this in mind, in mid-January I undertook a very arduos project to transplant the tree to my front yard, where it has plenty of room and no constraints on the roots. Aside from the continuing bark condition, the transplant appears to have been successful--the tree is leafing out fine and I've peeled small areas under the bark of a couple of limbs and all appears green.

My concern about the bark peeling away is compounded by the fact that the new location of the tree will get more afternoon sun, which in mid-summer gets pretty hot in Sacramento. Usually, a Chinese Pistache will handle full afternoon sun just fine. My concern now is that the areas where the bark is gone might get burned this summer and cause permanent damage to the tree.

I'd like any advice about how to protect the tree and possibly apply a product to help restore the bark loss. I'm considering spraying the exposed area with Cloud Cover or similar product to retain moisture in the tree. I've also read about a product called EnviroTree, but can't seem to find much information about it to determine if it would be helpful, or where to buy it. I also purchased a white permeable wrap that's made to protect tree trunks from sunburn, and might wrap the exposed areas after applying one of these products, or maybe just use the wrap only.

Thanks in advance for responding.

Comments (5)