SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momrules5831

How Do You Watch TV?

runninginplace
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

As in, cable or streaming?

I've had UVerse for years, and basically although the cost seemed high for what I get, inertia kept me hooked until this spring. UVerse and DirectTV are disappearing, replaced by AT&T TV Now. It's their version of a streaming platform but gets bad reviews and doesn't have HGTV which is in fact one of the 5-6 stations I actually watch out of the 300 I pay for each month.

So. It's time to enter the brave new world (to me) of streaming tv. Of course I have Netflix and Amazon and since I use Roku I first tried out Hulu plus Live TV per daughter's recommendation. Unfortunately by the time I set up all the bells and whistles, the monthly cost of tv plus internet will only save me about $20/month...not a lot of bang for the buck so to speak.

I've heard good things about Youtube TV-anyone use that? Supposedly it's a flat $50/month fee and includes the ability to fast forward through commercials on recorded shows. That's an absolute must-have; other than husband's daily local and national news fix over dinner I do not watch live television EVER. I absolutely cannot and will not waste time sitting through commercials. Getting to no-commercials (I hope) is what hiked the Hulu bill up; had to start withhulu with no ads (which makes no sense since there were ads all over), add live tv AND pay for expanded DVR to FF commercials.

Anyway sorry for long diatribe: what do you use, do you like it and was it easy to set up and learn? As a certified ok boomer spending hours googling how to find channels on X system and how to record shows on Y ;) is not my most fun activity. As pitiful as it sounds, I hung in there way too long with UVerse partly because I knew how to work the darned thing.

Meanwhile I am grateful that the old cable model of locking one into contracts is dead. I also appreciate the free trials on streaming systems, although 30 days for me is barely enough time to figure out how to download and then turn on the app LOL.

Comments (19)