Anyone have recipes for lentils?

roxanna7

I have a lovely lentil/pumpkin soup with sausage recipe, but need more ideas. Especially for a great summer cold salad.. Anyone??

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Islay Corbel

Cook your puy lentils in some veg or chicken stock. Cool and serve with finely sliced spring onions and tomatoes, basil....vinaigrette.

Cooked as above sprinkled with a layer of finely sliced red onion and radish previously soaked in lemon juice. Add olive oil.

Cooked as above, sprinkled with tuna parsley, spring onions, herbs, vinaigrette.

1 Like Save     Thanked by roxanna7
wintercat_gw

Mujaddara:

https://theartofdelicious.wordpress.com/2014/11/21/better-mujaddara-rice-with-lentils-and-fried-onions/

There are lots of variations. I do a simple one without the spices, but I'm so fond of lentils I don't need lots of spices. Black pepper is enough. The important thing is to avoid creating a sticky porridge. This dish is good hot or cold.

Save     Thanked by roxanna7
petalique

Look up Armenian or similar salads. Cold salad with lentils and thing like lemon, sumac, garlic. I’ve made it and eaten it made elsewhere. Here are variations.

For a soup, I make curried lentils with chicken, chicken broth, onion, garlic and butternut squash or sweet potato pieces. I probably add a bit extra powdered cumin and coriander. I remove any chicken fat when making. I’ve even enjoyed it cold.

chloebud

I recall several recipes from Fine Cooking over the years. You might do a google search for "Fine Cooking Lentils" for some links. One easy one that I like is just tossing French lentils with scallions, garlic, olive oil, sherry vinegar, s&p. Love sherry vinegar.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

You could also try a google image search. Pretty much covers the globe with all different combinations of flavors that might suit your family.

Google key words, 'cold lentil salads' and hit image.

I looked at last year this time in my salad file...2019

I stock lots of varieties. Costs the same in the grain pot.

This is labeled in my files 'lentil lunch salad'.

I have black caviar lentils standing by for tonight to have with salmon. !/3rd cup each of white winter wheat, wild rice, and black quinoa cooking now. (lentils have a shorter cooking time). Quinoa went in 1/2 hour after the wheat and wild rice.

Nice amount of leftovers for a cold salad tomorrow. And cold salmon we love.

I suppose my point is, as hard as this last few months have been, we find ourselves with covid shopping and a random pantry and veg crisper. A recipe would be hard to follow without shopping. I think this has been a good thing/time to explore cooking 'in-a-pinch'. Experiment. I've done this for years...some need a specific recipe. Good time to branch out and make family favorites.

chloebud

Just remembering a nice lentil soup from a book I have called Mad Hungry. A good one to try when soup weather comes again.

http://madhungry.com/?recipes=lentil-vegetable-soup

AJCN

My son is vegan, but the rest of our family is not. When we have tacos or fajitas, we make a lentil recipe for him to put in his tacos instead of the shrimp or meat. All the rest of the toppings go on the board and everyone puts what they want in their tacos. He just doesn't grab the shrimp, meat or cheese. If you like a sour cream type of crema on your tacos, you can make that with dairy-free plain unsweetened yogurt as a substitute for the sour cream. Here it is:

Spicy Lentils for Taco/Fajita night:

Serves about 4

2 T Olive Oil

1 c diced onion

1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional, and if you prefer a different pepper that's fine too)

Spices: I use 1.5 t of Emeril's bayou blast spice mix which I mix up myself, plus 1 t cumin. If you don't want to use a blend, use 1 t cumin, 1/2 t salt, 1/2 ancho chili powder, 1/2 t chipotle chili powder.

1 T tomato paste

1 c dry brown lentils

1.5 c water

1/4 c smoked sun-dried tomatoes, finely chopped (a lot of times I don't have these on hand so I'll use regular sun-dried tomatoes)

In a sauce pan, saute the onions and serrano until soft. Add you choice of spices and cook for another minute or so. Add tomato paste, lentils, water, and sun-dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Serve with tortillas, and your desired toppings, such as salsa, shredded cabbage in spicy lime crema, chopped cilantro, chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, avocado slices, sour cream, shredded cheese, hot sauce, lime wedges, etc.

Emeril's Bayou Blast:

• 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon dried thyme

(I use his spice blend in lots of things, such as creole, jambalaya, fajita marinade, etc. I change it up based on what I have on hand, or if I want a spicier mix)

Spicy Lime Crema

Mix this with shredded cabbage to make a topping, or use alone.

1/2 cup low fat or non fat sour cream (or for vegans, use 1/2 cup dairy-free plain unsweetened soy or coconut milk yogurt)

2 tablespoons fresh minced cilantro

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

1 teaspoon fresh lime zest

1 teaspoon sugar

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon mild or hot chili powder

¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

(Use more or less of the lime and spices to taste)

donna_in_sask

As suggested already: Mejadra, specifically Yotam Ottolenghi's recipe. The fried shallots make the dish. Check out his recipes in general, lots of lentil based ones, simple and full of flavour.

Lars

Yesterday I made Misir Wat (Ethiopian Spiced Lentils), and used Marcus Samuelsson's Berbere spice mix, made with green cardamom pods.

Misir Wat (Ethiopian Spiced Red Lentils)

4 tablespoons niter kibbeh , divided (I used butter)
1 large yellow onion, very finely diced
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 Roma tomato, very finely chopped
3 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons Bebere , divided
1 cup red lentils, rinsed
2-1/2 cups Aneto All-Natural Chicken Broth
vegetarians: use Aneto Vegetable Broth
1 teaspoon salt (I used chicken soup base)

Melt 3 tablespoons of the niter kibbeh (or butter) in a medium stock pot. Add the onions and cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.

Add the garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and 1 tablespoon of the berbere and cook for 5-7 minutes. Reduce the heat if needed to prevent burning.

Add the broth and salt, bring it to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover and simmer the lentils, stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes (adding more broth if needed) or until the lentils are soft.

Stir in the remaining tablespoon of niter kibbeh and berbere. Simmer for a couple more minutes. Add salt to taste.

Serve with Ethiopian injera. (I served it with plain white Basmati rice)

Marcus Samuelsson Berbere Spice Mix

2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
6 [green] cardamom pods
4 garlic cloves
3 allspice berries
1/2 cup dried onion flakes
5 chiles de árbol, stemmed and seeded
3 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

In a small skillet, combine the coriander, fenugreek, black peppercorns, cardamom, garlic and allspice over medium heat. Swirling the skillet, toast until fragrant, 4 minutes.

Remove from the heat and allow the seeds to fully cool, then place in a spice grinder or mortar with the dried onion flakes and chiles de árbol, and grind to a fine powder. (I used a blender)

Transfer the powder to a bowl and whisk in the remaining ingredients until fully incorporated. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for up to 6 months.

-----------------

I need to make more of the Berbere spice mix and take it with me, as I do not have all of the ingredients in both places.

Jasdip

We saw this lentil side dish on a local chef's cooking show. It's quite good, and certainly healthy.

Michael Bonacini's Lentil Salad

Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

I'm a lazy cook and use a jar of tikki masala sauce.

Lars

What brand of tikki masala sauce do you use? Does it have milk, butter, or yogurt in it? I never add dairy to lentils, but I do to other legumes.

You can buy Berbere spice mix from Penzey's, Amazon, or The Spice House, but it is cheaper to make your own, especially if you have cardamom pods, which are readily available at your Indian market.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Christmas Recipes From ‘Love the Coopers’
Get the recipes for dishes seen in the new movie opening November 13
Full Story
Kitchen Design World of Design: Favorite Recipes From Food Lovers Around the Globe
By Houzz
Travel with your tastebuds and experience for yourself these international foodies' favorite dishes
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Recipes: Secret Ingredients of 5 One-of-a-Kind Cooking Spaces
Learn what went into these cooks’ kitchens — and what comes out of them
Full Story
Each project presents its own set of unique challenges. It is your vision that guides our construction of the... Read More
Douglas Graneto Design is a boutique design company founded in 2006 and based in Greenwich, CT. We specialize in... Read More