Roasting green coffee beans for coffee lovers....

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Not trying to be an 'enabler' but SweetMaria has a sweet deal on the gateway to home roasting right now. The popcorn roaster and 4 pounds(free) of green beans for 20$. (shipping is under 10)...I just ordered 12 pounds getting low. The roaster and the beans and shipping for under 30$.

We have been roasting for years now.

We have a fancy ($$) drum roaster that is acting up but have been COVID roasting with the SweetMaria back-up. Roasting outside on the deck.

A sampler of 6 pounds of my favorite Guatemalan on sale as well.

SaveComment16Like
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

My point is, if it isn't for you, roasting etc, no cost is lost. Paying 5 dollars a pound for roasting. And so fresh.

Save    
Lars

That's a great price. I bought this one for my brother's birthday last year (I think), and I noticed that it is now discontinued and out of stock. This one is difficult to move from the kitchen to the back yard here in Los Angeles, but he took it to Cathedral City, and our patio there is much more convenient to the kitchen, and so he has been roasting his coffee on the patio there. In L.A., I made him roast the bean on a board on the stovetop so that he could use the stove vent, but it still puts an order in most of the house. I always close my bedroom door when he is roasting. This is yet another reason to have a kitchen that you can close off - ours does not have doors been the kitchen and the living room or between the kitchen and the dining room, and so the odor goes everywhere - not good. I'm okay with the aroma of brewed coffee, but roasting beans have a very different smell.

I don't drink coffee (except for rare occasions when traveling), and my brother prefers a blond or light roast, lighter than I like if I am going to drink coffee, plus he makes it very weak. I really cannot drink any coffee that he brews, but he makes it the way he likes it. I guess most people do not like a blond roast because it is difficult to find in the grocery store. I like Viennese roast, which is medium, I think, but I don't like it lighter than that. When traveling, I will drink espresso or cappuccino. The best cappuccino I had was on Maui. The best Viennese coffee I've had was in Antigua, Guatemala. I was not impressed with any coffee with had in Costa Rica, but I was impressed with the fresh chocolate.

Have you ever roasted nuts in the coffee roaster?

Save    
annie1992

Sleevendog, I just ordered beans today from Burman, and although I have a coffee roaster, I started with one of those hot air popcorn poppers and "graduated". I still have the popper, it's about 25 years old, LOL, but it still works so I keep it in case my coffee roaster dies, and then I have a back up. That's a good beginner's package, for someone who just wants to try it out.

Burman had several varieties for under $5 a pound, so I ordered an assortment, and most of my favorites are Costa Rican, but I had a really good one from Tanzania recently.

We roast coffee on our front porch/entry. It's enclosed and there is an aroma to roasting coffee that's different than the smell of coffee brewing. It's kind of like something is burning...

Annie

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

That's a good starter if anyone is interested : ) I'd definitely encourage anyone who is interested to give it a try. Watch some youtube videos, and play with roasts and beans to figure out what you prefer.

Lars, that's the roaster we have. I was going to give DH a Behmor drum roaster for a birthday, but he didn't seem interested and he likes to roast small batches. Kevin could always roast jar lighter for himself and a darker one for you. We like ours between medium and full city roast. I think Viennese roast is medium dark as it typically has oils, and that's past medium and past full city roasts.

DH roasts ours on a cutting board under the vent, which actually does a great job (he sets the vent medium high) of pulling out all the odor. I'm weird, I miss the scent of roasting beans not that we have a vent : ) DH is equally weird, he likes the scent of un-roasted beans.

Annie, Burman Costa Rican fans here, too. I've ordered elsewhere, but they consistently have good prices and we far prefer their beans. Under $5 a pound. I bet it's the Tanzania peaberries you like : )

Save    

We use that popper model I posted above at the beach house. And I have a back-up. Even the same model has different heating times. The beach house popper is 11-12 minutes to second crack. This one here is 17.5 minutes. DH used it yesterday.

We don't like the Belmor at all. It takes SO much fussing to get to second crack. You need to study and not leave it. DH left our hand written instructions out in a thunderstorm last week. You have to over-ride some regulations for that type of appliance. It is basically an expensive toaster oven with a spinning drum roller. Perfect for someone that likes a light roast. We like 'city roast'. Not necessarily 'full city'. So, we must sell it. Don't care much for e-bay but we did sell some things years ago.

Probably get the new FreahRoast 800 that has a larger capacity. They do now have an extension tube for Annie's model now. I think does 6-8 oz.

I like Burmans. Where I purchased the Belmor. What a mess that was. Not his fault. First one did not even turn on. Second one was missing the drum roller. (manufacturer issue). Really nice guy. They just don't have the Guatemalan selection we like. Or maybe I don't check his site often enough.

During covid we have been keeping notes. All beans have been great all these years but one. (tiny beans, rock hard roasted and jammed my grinder) This one we both loved and excellent. Just purchased mid-March. Was hoping to find it somewhere but no luck. When I find something excellent I usually turn around quickly and order 5-10 pounds. Bummer.

Save    
Lars

I ordered one of the popcorn poppers so that we can have roasters at both houses. I think Kevin wants to stay in L.A. for two weeks, and so I'm having it shipped here. He left the main coffee roaster in Cathedral City and will probably run out of the coffee he roasted and brought here. Nice that we get 4# of green coffee, so that he will also have coffee to roast here.

I still wonder if we could roast nuts in the popcorn popper. That would certainly be convenient, but it might burn them.

Save    

Not sure about nuts Lars. Green coffee beans are somewhat light in weight. Starting 4 ounces of beans from an unfamiliar bag/pound, we set the alarm for 14-15 minutes and check the load. Also making sure the beans spin pretty quickly at the onset....a chopstick swirl/stir helps get them moving. It is the fan speed that gets them moving and not burning. A heavy oily nut like a macadamia I doubt would spin/move. Maybe a pecan but not an almond? A chopped nut would let tiny nut debris to fall down into the motor?

I use my tiny 6inch enameled cast iron saute for nuts. Low and slow on my smallest simmer burner and need to shake, stir, and watch it. Enamel is slippery so it works well. Worth a try in the popper though. If a small batch of nuts spin within a few seconds it will toast fine and evenly.

I know I could use the Belmor drum roaster for peanuts in the shell and pistachio in the shell as someone on coffeeGeek mentioned that. Never tried it. Just to roast a bit and get the 'bagged' tired packaged taste out of them.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Sleeve, I'm glad to hear you found the behmor too fussy. Truth is, DH was neither interested nor uninterested, but after I watched several youtubes, and read on coffee forums of people who were selling their behmors for the reasons you mentioned, I thought, naw, stick with what we've got.

Those little peaberries can get caught in the grates of the Fresh Roast, but Burmans will let you know if they're too small for it, if one asks.

Regarding roasts, I've seen city, full city, french, Vienna, full city plus, etc. I also have read a variety of examples of what each one is. One person's light roast is another's medium. One person's french roast is another person's burnt : ) We typically go just to 2nd crack, or just before, depending on the bean.

If anyone is considering the popper and beans, do be mindful, if you roast very very light (sometimes called a blonde roast), it can give you an upset tummy : )

Darn, I sure miss my cappuccinos. We've not got the maker set up, or room for it. Darned covid.

Save    

For those that have an air popper already, please realize not all of them have the correct drum/spin interior that works with green coffee beans.

Save    
Lars

I've been roasting nuts in the toaster oven, and I have to remove the pan frequently to stir them. I mostly roast hazelnuts, but also pine nuts, which I would not even consider putting in a coffee roaster. I should probably try roasting hazelnuts on the stovetop.

How dark does the popcorn popper roast the coffee beans? I assume that it is not adjustable.

Save    

2MD, I agree. We all have different palates but I find the light/blond roasts thin and bitter. No flavor.

Save    

It is all about time Lars. SweetMarias always tests extensively the poppers they sell. Just an on-off switch. You can hear clearly the first and second crack. So it will give you just what your brother wants. After testing the first 4 ounces from a pound. Take the cover off and look at ten minutes. Or listen. Guatemalan and Costa Rican is very similar in timing.

1 Like Save    
petalique

Thanks for the heads up, Sleeve.

I’ve been curious about home roasting and can only afford a modest (v inexpensive) roaster. I have never roasted coffee beans, but am picky. I like a medium roast, with body and alive with fragrance and volatiles.

Does the one you mentioned n your OP spin in a desirable way?

Is it time consuming? How long do green coffee beans stay fresh or wholesome?

About how long would it take that popper roaster (medium roast)?

Is there a steep or long complex learning curve?

Thanks

ETA Okay, I saw they had a video. Looks like fun. I may do it.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

petalique, most green coffee bean sellers have a date on their beans, so you know when they were shipped from the coffee grower to the seller you buy from. We use ours pretty quickly, but it's said they keep from 1 year to 3 years. I'd not want to go past 1 year. We keep ours in the plastic zip bags they come in from Burman's, and inside a translucent bin with a snap on lid, in a dark area.

Burman's (not sure about Sweet Maria's) gives a flavor profile, and even tells you which crack point to roast to for certain flavors. So when we first bought beans, we tried a number of profiles that described 'chocolate, caramel, floral, acid, smooth, etc.' Higher acid is a stronger, sharper taste, 'smooth' is lower acid. When you find a bean you like, and the roasting time you like, after a year, there will be a new crop, with a different flavor. We typically stay within the region or Country, for similar flavor. And of course, we read the descriptions. FWIW, when we started roasting, and even now, our preference is chocolate and caramel flavor tones, and I can taste it. DH can't, he just knows he likes it. Floral is nice, but I don't care for higher acid cups.

On the Fresh Roast, if anyone is interested in that, we use hot pads to hold the top and bottom (they come apart, and some is glass) together and lift the roaster when the beans first start - shaking it a bit to move the beans, and also start with lower temps as green beans are heavier. As they roast, they puff a bit and lighten up in weight so move more easily in the air and roast more evenly at that point. Again, you can watch a lot of videos. We listened to a couple just to hear the 'crack'.

Save    
annie1992

2many, like you, I tend toward the "chocolate" or "caramel" tones. We bought one coffee that tasted like lemons, far too sour and acidic for me, and one "earthy" Mexican coffee tasted just like dirt, LOL.

I can't usually taste the "red berry" or "tropical fruit" flavors that Burman references, but I do know what I like.

Surprisingly, I have found that there is a different "mouth feel" to coffee, I like the ones that seem thicker and more creamy, although it's just black coffee.

I don't care for the dark/espresso roasts, nor do I like it too light. A nice medium roast, right before second crack, is usually a good bet for me. Elery? He likes it all, except the extremely light roasts.

Annie

Save    

Quick review of the FreshRoast SR 800

We love it. It has been a few months since the release of the new model. A stronger fan and a larger glass hopper. 8ounces, 1/2 pound roast at a time. DH roasted 2 pounds this morning, Columbian. A recent favorite...in pic below

We roast fullCity. Just at the beginning of second crack. This Guatemalan we love so ordered 20 pounds before it sold out. I always order the variety sample offers....8 one pound bags from all over. The best way to find a personal sweet spot. We are set through next Spring. In all these years we have had one dud. It was a tiny bean that roasted rock hard and jammed my commercial grinder.

The gateway roaster is the popper posted at the header of this post. They do work really well. So many city friends ordered at the beginning of lock-down. Now hooked, 😂. the money they are saving. Roasting on city fire escapes outside kitchen windows.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Bean There, Done That: Coffee Table Alternatives
Get creative with these ideas for salvaged and DIY pieces that will get people talking
Full Story
Kitchen Design Simple Pleasures: Wake Up and Smell the Coffee
Slugging down any old sludge while pulling on socks is no way to start the day. Learn to brew amazing java and savor the experience here
Full Story
Kitchen Design Today’s Coffee Stations Have All Kinds of Perks
Some of these features are so over the top that they will give you a jolt
Full Story