SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike_ashman74

French drain under shed

Mike A
3 years ago

My yard has poor drainage, previous owner put in some drains on both sides of the yard that drain the water away. No landscape fabric or stone was used, on one side of the yard the drain pipe is completely clogged with mud and roots. On the other side of the yard the drain is working well. I'm going to rent a trencher and replace these long drain pipes (about 150' on each side of the yard) and use the fabric and crushed stone and all of that. Now on the side of the yard where the drain is actually working it goes under a very old, run down shed that isn't really usable anymore. I'm going to replace this shed as well. I plan on getting a big say 10x12' shed (current is like 7'x7'). I don't really have another place to put a shed so I was going to tear down the old shed, replace the drain pipe, and then have the new shed built on top of a section of that pipe. The pipe will be about 3' below surface, then covered with crushed stone and then some soil.

Do you think building a shed could damage the drainage pipe? I'm thinking the weight of the shed will be dispersed enough over the ground that the pipe 3' below surface will be fine but wanted to get some opinions.

Comments (5)