SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hautinglu

Would like feedback on idea:oil tank, french drains, and drywell

15 years ago

I recently purchased an old house (100+ yrs) and itÂs need of some TLC. IÂll be moving in around May and IÂm trying to figure out what I can do early on. Here is the situation:

The house has oil heat, well water, and a septic system. Sewage and water available for a $2000 tap fee for each. Gas is available, but I havenÂt talked to the gas company yet.

After reading some posts here IÂm starting to think it would be a good idea to remove the 2000 gallon oil tank during the summer. ItÂs located in the backyard. My plan is to have it removed, hook up the gas, and purchase a new gas furnace/AC system. The house has existing duct. This was my original plan.

I mentioned this and a friend suggested I build a french drain on the side of where there is water leakage in the basement from a concrete sidewalk sinking a bit and leaning towards the house. Then he suggested instead of filling the 2000 gallon hole, to convert to a dry well and to direct the french drain to that.

Afterwards, I got to thinking that maybe I could also hook up some of the downspouts to the dry well, because IÂm not sure what they are hooked up to (probably not the septic system).

Additionally, there is a large (think old living quarters) shed that I would like to turn into a sauna/hot tub room. I was thinking of hooking up a drain pipe from the shed to the dry well since the shed is too far from the septic. Eventually IÂd like to put in a small shower just to rinse off with.

IÂm thinking if IÂm already tearing up the backyard, why not take care of some of the other issues at the same. Appreciate any feedback about whether this is feasible, and if so, what issues may arise.

Thanks.

Comments (7)