SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
house_in_the_woods

Floored by soil cost... establishing a yard from scratch

Danielle
8 years ago

Hello everyone! So DH and I are in our 3rd year at our new home... a fixer upper on a wooded 1 acre lot. We purchased the house with dreams of eventually building a lawn, as the existing landscape is all trees and brush. Over the last 3 years we've been slowly taking down trees as our budget allows and we've finally got around to the actual yard-making part of the project in the back of the house. We just had the excavation done (which was actually a little cheaper than I anticipated), however, the landscaper just got back to us with an estimate on the cost to seed and soil the land he just cleared and I nearly fainted! $8000 for 4 inched of screened topsoil and 2 tanks of hydroseeding. We have a steep bank (we're on a mountain), so we really do have to hydroseed at least that area. DH is supposed to get in touch with the landscaper today to work out a revised plan, because our remaining budget is only about $5k. I'm hoping that by skimping out on the outer-most areas of the land and only using 1 tank of hydroseed (and hand seeding ourselves), we can get the project cost down to where we need it to be. I was wondering if anyone might have any other suggestions as to how we might cut some costs? I don't have photos yet of the completely excavated land, but the estimate is for approximately 18,000 sq. ft. About half an acre. Attached are a few in-progress shots so you can see what we're working with. The land layout isn't traditional by any means because we're on a mountain and the back of our yard goes upward. The nasty old deck is out and we have a flat space behind the house that's about 20 feet, and then it goes up and then back another 40 feet. We also have a large area now cleared on both sides of the house (an unexpected expansion to the project). The yard directly behind the house is graded to the right of the house to help with drainage.

Comments (43)