SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mitchulskus

Building a new lawn from scratch

mitchulskus
12 years ago

My family (wife and 2 little girls) built a new home in zone 5 (Michigan) that was completed last September 2011. The soil is mostly sand, the builder did use a clay sand mix to fill in some of the uneven spots after they backfilled. Since there wasn't a ton of growth after the final grading was done in the fall, I basically have a bare lot with a new home on it. Which gives me a clean slate. I can do anything I want, assuming I have enough money.

I have excellent grading around the house and there is a gentle slope in the front of the home to the curb. The back of the house drops down to a drainage easement (maybe a 4 foot gradual slope) that eventually hits a storm drain several lots away. My home is the highest point of the drainage easement.

My plans are as follows:

-Regrade the front of the lot to move 2-3 inches of the existing sandy soil to the rear section to allow room for 3 inches of screened top soil to be added.

-Have a contractor put in about 300 square feet of exposed aggregate concrete for a round fire pit patio in the back

-Add landscaping edging, fabric, mulch and probably 2 small trees around the house

-Have a contractor install irrigation. I've got a few quotes back right now, and I think I'm looking at about 8 zones (close to 10,000 sq. feet of lawn)

-Install underground drainage from the gutters. I'm thinking that I'll use inexpensive, perforated, corrugated black drainage tube and run that to a drain that will allow overflow to spill into the yard

-Add 3+ inches of screened topsoil over the entire lawn area I intend to grow grass

-Seed and fertilize the new topsoil and grow an amazing lawn!

-Note: I'll build a deck in the fall or next year when we have more money saved, I figure of all these things we need done, the deck can wait till next year based on cost, work involved and minimal disruption to the lawn.

It looks good in the playbook. But I've got a few questions that I could use some help on.

What order would you do the above items in? I'm particularly worried about adding the top soil. I'm thinking that I'm going to need at least 60 yards and there's no way I'm doing that without a bobcat or tractor.

Would that heavy equipment potentially damage my irrigation and gutter drainage tubes?

If you do the topsoil before sprinklers/drainage, wouldn't digging the trenches for both disrupt the screened topsoil with sand?

Before we get too far down the "Use Schedule 40 PVC pipe for drainage" path, 12 inches down you will find nothing but sand in my lot. I was here when they poured the footings and laid the foundation. I've got excellent drainage and there are virtually no trees within 50 meters of my house (rule out roots). I'm sure that 4 inch corrugated will be sufficient given my needs (my neighbor has had them in for 10+ years with no issues).

Let me know what you think, I've got a clean slate and am willing to hear all advice on how to tackle this project. I'm already lining up the contractors for gutters, irrigation and concrete. As soon as the weather breaks in Michigan, I'll be getting started with the lawn.

Thanks very much!

Mitchulskus

Comments (6)