SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ascup

HELP peninsula vs stand alone island have to decide soon!

ascup
3 years ago

Current u shaped kitchen has small peninsula with no cabinets underneath just a high top with stools. The kitchen flows into what in the floor plan is also called kitchen which I believe was meant to have an informal table but that room open to dining room. We would like to remove the useless current peninsula and add a stand alone island in the adjacent room (also called kitchen). The dimensions shown in the plan are not accurate the space after the peninsula is 11’ wide by 10’ long. I am not a fan of having a table next to another table in the dining room so thought of adding an island with the stools and storage but I am not sure wether that would look out of place or awkward since it right after the u shaped kitchen. Everything will have the same cabinets and countertops of the kitchen to give it some continuity. In our current home we have an island which we constantly use for entertainment. Last comment is that I think peninsulas in some kitchens like this one closes the kitchen and interrupts the flow. Another option given was to add cabinets along the right side wall in the empty room and a peninsula at the end so we would be using the space and the peninsula would be closer to the dining room.

Comments (2)