SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pippiep

Layout help: peninsula to island; yes or no?

pippiep
8 years ago

We moved into our new house last weekend, and the cabinets are worse than we thought. We want to start getting quotes soon, but don't expect to actually change anything until the new year. (The software I'm using didn't give me the option to add upper cabinets, but they do exist!)

Problems:

• Range abuts the peninsula; no room to the left at all
  • Fridge space is right up against a 5'7" wall; there's a small side-by-side there now, but we want a 36" FD (or possibly all-fridge/all-freezer). Can't do that in the current space; there is no clearance for the door to even open because of how much it sticks out during the opening. Space is exactly 36" wide; door seems to need another couple of inches while opening, then it goes back to being flush with the fridge case once it's opened to 90 degrees.
  • The desk area is a total waste of space!
  • There are two lower blind corners and one upper, with no solutions in place (they just go back, back, back)

About us:

• I love this kitchen; it seems like perfection to me!
  • My husband and I both cook a ton, from scratch. He bakes all our bread, too. We have a standalone fridge and freezer in the basement, and need the fridge for the two huge buckets of dough that we always have around (artisan bread in 5 mins/day).
  • I make cakes/cookies/pastries. We have two KA mixers. In our old house, I had to keep all my cake stuff in the basement (decorating supplies, cake pans, turntable, extra KA mixer bowls). I'd love to be able to keep that stuff up here now.
  • In our previous house, ALL prep was done on the island, and it was comfortable for us. We still don't plan to prep much on the perimeter. If we keep the peninsula, that will be our main prep zone. I like the depth and not facing the wall. We spread out a ton while cooking/baking.
  • The tap water here is fantastic, so I don't want a water/ice dispenser on the fridge door, but do need an ice maker b/c I go through at least one ice tray/day

Considerations:

• We'd really like to avoid moving most things, but are open to suggestions. I'd LOVE to keep this to 20K, but husband thinks 40K is more realistic. House is in a HCOL area, 1978 colonial. Many houses here have already had upscale work done. (We also have to redo our original master bath...)
  • A prep sink, though my husband isn't sold (also want this b/c the laundry closet has no sink, and husband is a huge DIY person; full workshop; extra sink away from food for rinsing dirty brushes, etc. would be useful)
  • Island/peninsula without seating, since the table is right there
  • Keep the peninsula and cover that desk wall with shallow pantry cabinets, top to bottom, left to right.
  • Cabinets to the ceiling; my cat has discovered she loves hanging out up there, and I'd like to stop that. Plus, I hated having decorative pots/vases up there in my old house. We're both tall and not afraid to use step stools. Give me more usable space instead of a dust collector.
  • We want to put in a more powerful vent to the outside. Current one above range recircs.
  • Going to buy an induction range, likely this weekend. Also replacing the DW.
  • We love soapstone so will likely choose that for counters, with an undermount sink.
  • Garage/exit is in the basement, so I'd like a trash/recycling solution in the kitchen so I don't have to trudge downstairs all the time.
  • We have a Breville Smart Oven and a countertop microwave.
  • I'm not sure if my pantry can be turned into a step-in pantry. My husband is a hobby woodworker and can build new shelves.

I had played around with an island configuration before we moved in, but didn't realize how long that fridge wall was. It really impedes where we can start the island. We will look into whether it is load-bearing. If it is trimmed down, you will be able to see into the kitchen (and out the window) when you walk into the house. Otherwise, you see this wall.

Comments (28)