SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stephanielynn

Looking for Kitchen Layout Design Suggestions, Peninsula vs Island

stephanielynn
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are currently working on a kitchen remodel that will begin in the next couple of months and are looking for layout suggestions and opinions.

A general contractor will be removing a wall that currently divides the kitchen and dining room. Once the space is open, we would like to add a peninsula or island to the space. We are also looking to add additional pantry cabinets, as we do not have a separate pantry.

All of cabinetry, appliances, and counter tops will be replaced. The current hardwood in the dining room will be matched and laid in the kitchen.

Besides my husband and myself, we have one child. I enjoy cooking and cook almost every night. I am primarily the only one using the kitchen work space.

We do a lot of entertaining, year-round, and it seems everyone likes to gather and hangout in the kitchen.

Flexibility

• We would like to keep all of the current windows and doorways the same.
  • We would like to keep the sink, dishwasher, and gas range in their current positions, though we are open to other considerations.
  • The sink is currently centered under a window.
  • The gas range is currently located under a pass through opening to our living room. It is currently a downdraft range which will be replaced with a regular gas (or duel fuel) range - along with an overhead hood, blower, and make up air damper.

The cabinets are being made by a local woodworker (made to order) So, any custom configurations can be made.

Appliances

• 36'' Gas Range, 6 burner (with proper venting and make up air damper)
  • No Wall Ovens
  • We rarely use the microwave and are thinking of placing it in the pantry cabinetry
  • Standard dishwasher
  • 36'' Built In French Door Refrigerator/Freezer (flush inset installation)
  • 24'' Under Counter Beverage Center

I have included the dimensions of the room below, once the wall is removed.

There are also two rough layouts that we have come up with so far - one with a peninsula and one with an island.

**These are rough layouts, as we are currently just trying to get the cabinet layout together and have not contacted a kitchen designer**

• The upper cabinets will be placed at the ceiling and finished with crown moulding.

• The dining room built-in and pantry cabinets will be floor to ceiling. (8 foot ceilings)

• Pull out trash bins will be located in the base cabinet to the right of the sink (or in the island)

• We are open to a prep sink in the island

• The peninsula in the first layout would extend 90'' from the wall, with a 12'' counter overhang into the dining room for seating.

• The island in the second layout would be 36'' x 96'' (we are open to seating options, if space allows)

• There are obviously no counters shown in the layouts, but there will be counters.

Thanks in advance for any, and all, suggestions!

Comments (13)