SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_997033148

Newbie (sort of) re African violets

This past winter I went looking for orchids, which I'm fairly good at, but the plants at the store were "ugh." But there was a nice African violet, and I remembered that my mother kept them. So I bought it. I just needed something that was blooming on my mildly sunny-ish shelves.

I did a bunch of research on preferred growing conditions, etc. I *think* I get it - but in my experience no one ever really "gets it" without going through a couple years or so of growing cycle, and a failure or two (or more). So I'm trudging onward. Have had some glorious blooms! Then what seems to be a rest period. And now seeing more buds coming, from deep inside. Kinda feeling pretty good about that.

I've been using Jack's Blossom Booster at the recommended rate for a continual-feed program, but I'm a little worried about that. Is this really a good idea? Should I flush the plant occasionally?

I have access to naturally soft water: lake water. I live in Zone 3, so I stock up on lake water in the fall and keep it in the heated shop where things don't freeze, and bring in a jug at a time when needed, for orchids and this violet. (Gave up on foliage houseplants years ago, just too boring, I wanted a challenge: FLOWERS!) How important is the kind of water used?

I hear all the time about capillary mats. I have some "official" material, from the greenhouse I used to run. But it seems to me that I do just fine doing a soak-in-a-bowl. I'm pretty attentive to all my plants, because along with my cat and dog, they're my family. I don't feel any need to have a capillary tray for this AV. But: am I wrong?

How often does a happy African violet bloom? Does it have anything to do with seasonal light cycles, or are the demands fairly low?

Here are some photos of the progress of this particular AV. First is the slightly bedraggled condition in which I brought it home from Walmart. But, as a long time gardener, I for sure saw all those buds!

Next is ten days later.

Here it is in full glory, which went on for quite a while. There was a time when it had even MORE flowers than this, which I didn't document, just enjoyed. Then, after 3-4 weeks of glory, it began to fade. I kept on deadheading.

For a while it looked like nothing but leaves. That's when I started to worry that I was over-fertilizing: encouraging green growth at the expense of flowers. Because what I remember from being a child in my mother's house was that these things just kept on keeping on. (What can I say, it was a child's memory.)

Three months later, today, it's like this, husky and full of promise. There are LOTS of buds, even though maybe you can't see them. They're shooting up all around the middle. I can't wait!! :)

My questions are:

1) It seems to me like the root ball in the 3" pot is pretty solid. When I pick up the (flimsy) plastic pot I can feel "give" between the pot and the root ball. This gives me some concern. The span of the leaves is 8.5", in this 3" pot. What to do, if anything??

2) Should I continue the "continuous feed" program using Jack's Blossom Booster (10-30-20, .25 tsp/gal) regularly, or should I "flush" occasionally? Or use some other fertilizer on some other program? Though I have to say it looks like Jack's is working. My watering protocol is to stick a finger in the pot and feel for dryness, and if necessary give it a soak in a bowl of water for about 15 minutes.

3) Do African violets have a cycle that they just go through, bloom/rest/bloom/rest, that has little to do with day length? I know lots of people keep these under lights. For me, in my environment, that defeats the purpose, which is to do the best I can to have "real flowers" (I teach music privately and have had students come in and ask, "Are those REAL??" with regard to my orchids and amaryllises) for as much of the year as possible, with no artificial lighting. It's fine with me if flowers don't want to bloom in November and December. I totally get that! That's why I have fairy lights etc around my windows, while plants are just green. But I do want to know what to expect from African violets in normal-daylight conditions, given a bright but not over-exposed south-easterly facing window.

4) Soil mix/repotting: The soil I see in my two little AVs (there's another one) seems to be pretty basic, like what I'd use for all-purpose/cutting-rooting. But I'm well aware that soil really needs to be renewed/replaced from time to time. These little guys can't stay in these pots or this soil forever. Recommendations as to when and how and what size pot? I've read some stuff but it's so generic (tailored to those who don't want anything more than basic starter info) that I don't trust it. Feel free to cite some link that you like. I don't care how detailed it is. Science! More science!

5) Whatever anybody wants to say. I'm so open. I have so little experience with these little gems.

Many thanks to all. :)

Joan in west central MN

Comments (15)