SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
keosika

African Violet Not Getting Bigger? Help!

11 years ago

A while back I posted a question on here regarding an older African Violet that had gotten sick. Basically I had left it too close to a window in the winter and the cold draft had frozen it. It had no roots to speak of when I dug it up.

Prior to it's death, however, I had clipped off a few leaves to grow in water. Four of the six leaves I had taken survived, and I potted them each in an appropriately sized pot.

Over the next few weeks, the new baby plants grew lots of little tiny leaves and grew as normal. One of them (a smaller leaf) didn't get much bigger than my index finger nail and eventually shriveled up. The second to be lost simply stopped growing, and then browned and died. The third and fourth got relatively large (about 2.5-3in across), but suddenly the third shriveled as well. It just started looking sickly one day, and then a week or so later I tossed it.

My fourth plant is... alive. I've included a picture. As you can see, it's relatively small and the leaves are curling up. It has a wick at the bottom and I've been giving it a fertilizer stick as per the directions on the package (I break a single stick into pieces and disperse it around the pot, since I don't think the violet is big enough for two whole sticks yet?). I have also potted it in soil marked for african violets. It has been this size for two months now, and it has done nothing but get curly leaves. The leaves are firm where they meet the steam but they are soft otherwise. When I dug it up to make sure it wasn't rotting, the roots seemed to be in tact. They were small and about.. I'd say an 1.5-2in long? they were a bit dry and white. I don't see any sort of mite or bug on it. The plant sits about 3ft from the windowsill on the back of our couch's corner table, where it's close enough to the window to get sunlight a few hours in the morning, but not close enough to be damaged by the draft. I live on the 5th floor of my apartment building, if that means anything.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with it? I have no idea what else to do... I can't tell if it's sick or not. :(

Comments (12)