SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karyn_gw

Heavy crystal in earthquake country

karyn
3 years ago

This one's a bit off the wall (pun intended)

Anyone have any ideas on how to display trophies while also keeping them at least relatively secure in an earthquake zone? Most people wouldn't even give it much consideration but I lived 6 miles from the epicenter of the Northridge quake back in 94 and it was like a giant took our house and lifted it up and rapidly banged in down on the ground repeatedly. Nothing was left in the kitchen cabinets - nothing was left standing. While those are pretty rare - even a mild quake can get things swaying - those are much more common.

The pic shows how I had things set up in Florida for the last 7 years - but now we are in the SF Bay area. I converted an old entertainment center towers to an office workstation, added a desk - and kept the base as a credenza. Functional for printer and scanner, drawers for storage and glass shelving for display! But back to the crystal on glass shelving - it's probably not a good idea around here. Even if I bolt the tall shelves to the wall (which is a recommended thing). The trophies on top (not glass) I might be able to strap them down - but for crystal on glass the best I can think of is velcro - or moving them to another location lower to the ground - maybe on wood shelving behind plexiglass doors.

Just wondering how others might manage something like this?

I've temporarily put some on the shelves to show how it looks - there are bigger and heavier ones than this too....

Comments (4)