SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruth_mccarty65

My centennial blueberry plant just stopped growing.

Ruth McCarty
3 years ago

This year 2020 has been weird weather wise. I have five blueberry plants in a very large 24ft x 6ft raised bed. I have used a pond liner with drainage holes for lining it so I could keep my 4.5ph from matured cow manure and and peat moss mixture staying at 4.5 because we live in a place where the lime is naturally high in our soil. (The name of my street- limestone- says it all)
Anyway, my plants were 2 yr olds I planted 5 years ago. I have a centennial, northland,blue crop, Jersey, and a patriot planted in order of succession from earliest to latest blooming. The centennial is important because it blooms once in early spring and then again when my last one is blooming.
My centennial started to bud out way too early because of the weird warm weather in January. Then there was a drop in temperature and it went dormant. When the weather started to warm up it put on buds again. It seemed to be doing really well, ( right on time with its other 4 companions). But mid bud cycle it just stopped growing. It sits there still with small immature bright green leaves , but with a hint of red like they get in early fall as the leaves start to change. There was a cold snap in mid may and a good frost. I have a lattice fence on the back side where I was able to hang clear shower curtain to cover the whole thing up. They were all sealed in very nice and all of my other plants, complete with leaves and flowers pulled through the 32 degree week amazingly. My centennial sits there still, green healthy looking stems and small immature leaves, but doesn't seem to be doing anything.
Is it a loss, or is there a way to help it out of what ever funk its stuck in?
Please help.

Comments (2)