SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bessiegranddaughter

Should cooktop/rangetop ventilation drive my kitchen design?

This is an addendum to my earlier post as I wasn't able to add photos to it. I am tearing down some walls to create what will become a large kosher kitchen with 3 sinks (one for dairy meals, one for meat meals, and one that will be used for cooking that is neither dairy or meat). Each of those sinks will have a dishwasher (or two), and each of those dairy/meat/veggie areas has its own multiple pots, pans, cutting boards, and separate sets of dishes (for meat and dairy). I cook all the time, and I often make 3 course meals for 20 people. I rarely use disposable dishes. Rather crazy storage and cleanup area needs because of this. I never fry, and I rarely cook meat dishes on the stove. I am planning either a 36 inch or 48 inch Wolf rangetop.

I thought I had it figured out, with the cooktop centralized among the 3 sinks and a downdraft for the stove. I have been working with an architect who has been teaching me Autocad (which I adore, btw). However, then I read the Houzz discussions about ineffective downdraft venting.

I have 9 foot ceilings and really don't want to disturb the sight lines with a bulky overhead island vent. So as I see it I have two choices:

1. Stick with my original plan which makes sense footsteps wise, and then use either the downdraft or a flush ceiling mounted vent from Wolf or Best or Futuro.

2. Flip the dairy sink area with the stove so that the stove can be on an outside wall and vented with a normal, appropriately sized overhead vent. I could do this either in front of a large inoperable window, or I suppose I could wall off the area behind the stove and cut down on my light. However, this will mean my stove is not as near the ovens and the meat side of the kitchen as would be optimal. It also means that the dishes in the dairy sink would greet everyone as they walk in the kitchen (I am more of a dump in the sink as I go and clean in the end kind of cook, thus the hope for huge sinks).

I am posting photos and I thank you so very much for your thoughts!

Comments (12)