SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20101631

Gas Cooktop/Rangetop with Grill in High-rise Apt?

User
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Incredible information on this forum, but I haven't seen this discussed. Have just moved from suburbia with an outdoor gas BBQ to urban living in a high-rise condo building in Los Angeles and I'm having withdrawal from not being able to grill.

We are planning on remodeling the kitchen and hope to install a 36" gas cooktop or rangetop with a gas (not electric) grill. My preference would be a cooktop (with knobs on top) vs. a rangetop (with knobs in front) for purely aesthetic reasons, but it looks like a rangetop is the only option.

Two related issues::

Ventilation may be a challenge (I've read the excellent thread on cooktop ventilation). We will need to change out the existing hood, but given we're on the 14th floor of a 21-story building, we're obviously not in a position to upsize the duct, install an external fan or makeup air. The existing duct that exits the existing fan is 6.25" in diameter.

There seem to be a number of choices in 36" rangetops with gas grills: Wolf, Viking, DCS, Capital, Bluestar. Not sure how to choose among them, although I understand we need to find a good vendor here in LA.

So, with these parameters, any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations on the best way to go?

Thanks!

This post was edited by dpdapper on Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 14:21

Comments (12)