SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Sending a "care package" to the Navajo Nation ...

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are volunteers with an organization called Adopt A Native Elder, which provides desperately-needed food and other resources to the people of the Navajo Nation. Our elders, Polly and Leo, live on tribal lands in Arizona and we ordinarily support them with food gift certificates on a monthly basis. However, it has come to our attention that the organization (which is physically based in Utah) is unable to travel to / within the Navajo Nation to make its delivery of supplies, and items such as hand sanitizer, cleaning products, toilet paper, soap, etc., are becoming increasingly impossible to find in the few supermarkets available to the elders. Realizing how bare the shelves have been in many of our local grocery stores (and we have seemingly countless options in our area), I can only begin to imagine how decimated supplies are on tribal lands. Many of the elders' children and grandchildren have lost their jobs in the cities due to the pandemic, and they have returned to the reservation, which creates an increased demand on already dwindled supplies. It's heartbreaking.

To that end, I'm thinking of putting together a care package to send to our elders. To the best of my knowledge, they (or one of their children) are still capable of picking up mail from their P.O. box. We are seeing an increase of readily-available items in our area (hand sanitizer is back on the shelves), but in thinking about the size and weight of the items we would want to send (all of the above mentioned, and perhaps a few more TBD), wouldn't shipping costs be very high if we were to DIY such a box? Do you know of any other outlet for sending such a care package? I'm not sure if this is something that could be done through Amazon, or if their prices are still jacked up on certain high-demand items.

I can and will research this, but just thought someone among us may have done something similar and wondered if they can share how it was handled. Thanks.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor