SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chisue

Remember The Maui Guest I Had to Find?

chisue
3 years ago

Sometimes it pays to 'do the right thing'.

You may remember my post about the couple who booked our condo a little over a month in advance, paid the first half, then failed to pay the second half that came due about a week later. The only phone number I had turned out to be registered to a UPS drop location. I called, left messages that went unanswered, and enlisted Vrbo to try to find them. They stood to lose over $3K. We stood to lose income from the weeks reserved for them. The KT was divided about whether I should keep trying to find them or rent the dates to someone else. I decided to wait.

After more than a week, I did hear from the couple. They'd been abroad. They hadn't received messages from me or from Vrbo. They paid the balance and arrived on Maui a few days before they were to check into the condo (end of March). By the time they checked in, Hawaii had gone to Covid-19 lockdown. They were happy to stop being quarantined in a hotel room and get into the condo.

They are still there!

Only our condo and two others are occupied (out of 316 in the complex). Of course we are collecting very minimal rent from them during the lockdown, but it's more than 'nothing', and the couple are happy to wait out the virus on little Maui instead of among a much larger population at home.

Seems like a happy ending.

Comments (14)