SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_205169299

Which whites to use in family room?

Carol Haavisto
3 years ago

The office, family room and dining area (see pictures) were built in 1974 and I've decided to paint the wainscoting, trim and all the wood white, as well as the walls. When we renovated the kitchen (also pictured) , I followed advice to make the walls a slightly less white color than the cabinets, so that the cabinets don't look dingy. Great advice, and I'm very happy with the results. So if I plan to use the same wall color in the family room area as in the kitchen, should I paint the woodwork the same color in a glossier finish? Or paint the woodwork a slightly different color of white? If different, would you make the woodwork darker, or lighter? Obviously I love white, and the goal is to create a more unified theme throughout this level of my home. I used Swiss Coffee (a slightly warmer white) on the kitchen walls. The cabinets were stock, factory-painted, so I don't know what color they are, except they are less warm than the walls and look super clean. One day I'd like to replace the floor in these rooms to match the kitchen area, but for now the carpet and laminate are staying. Thank you in advance!

Comments (3)