SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_29375648

HELP please - Which white paint should I use in my living room?

John Battle
2 years ago

Hello! We are renovating a house that we bought a few months ago. We installed oak floors (which we love). However, we believe the color of the walls makes everything look too yellow (especially during the day). We were thinking of painting the walls white and brought three samples to try: one cool, one warm, and one neutral:

1) BM Decorator's White

2) BM Simply White

3) BM Chantilly Lace

After reading about it online, we were leaning towards Simply White; however, on the wall, I really see its yellow undertone and feel like we'll end up with the same problem we have now. I believe Decorator's White looks too cool and clashes with the floor and furniture, instead of balancing it. And Chantilly Lace looks nice but we are concerned it may look "too" white if we use it to paint the whole area.

BTW, we LOVE the contrast of the floor and the trim (which is a very strong white, Ultra Pure White by Behr I believe). So we definitely want to keep trims the same color (or similar). Therefore, we are leaning towards using both Chantilly Lace for walls and trims...

Two questions:

1) What would be your recommendation for the living room? Do you think we should try a different white paint?

2) As you see, we have an open-ish living and kitchen area, which has very a cool-white backsplash and countertops. Do you think we can get away with painting the walls next to the kitchen Decorator's White (or other cool white) and use a neutral or warm white in the living room? Or would it be better to paint both living room and kitchen the same color to tie the spaces together?

Comments (18)