Now for something completely different: eye color

Lars

I've had a difficult time deciding what my eye color is, but it appears to be hazel, which (for eyes) is a combination of green and light brown instead of the color of hazel nuts, which it is named for. I think eyes that are the color of hazel nuts are called amber, and so there is some confusion for me.

Here's a photo of my eyes, showing multiple colors, which is what is confusing to me

This photo was taken in fairly bright light, so that my pupils are small, but in dim light, the light brown or amber color is more dominant, therefore making it more difficult for me to decide what color my eyes are. I used to think they were olive green, but that would be a solid color.

How did hazel (which technically means light brown) come to describe multicolored eyes? My driver's license has my eyes listed as hazel because I did not know what else to call them, but to my mind, hazel means light brown.

Please share photos of your own eyes, if you have them.

What color would you call my eyes?

I know this is frivolous, but I thought it might be fun.

SaveComment50Like3
Comments (50)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roy4me

Hazel green

1 Like Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

Is hazel green a color?

Save    
orchidrain

Lars, do they change color depending on what you wear or emotion?

1 Like Save    
marilyn_c

Green. By. the way, my eyes are the same color, but my dad who was color blind said my eyes were brown. When I got my driver"s license, I put down that my eyes were brown. It was some years later that I paid close enough attention to see they weren't browm at all, but were green....or whatever color that yours are.

Rusty

I Googled it, here is what I found, from Wikipedia: Hazel eyes are due to a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a moderate amount of melanin in the iris' anterior border layer. Hazel eyes often appear to shift in color from a brown to a green. Although hazel mostly consists of brown and green, the dominant color in the eye can either be brown/gold or green.

Yes, hazel green is a color, as is hazel blue. In fact the color of your eyes looks almost exactly like one of the photo examples that Google brought up. It never occurred to me that 'hazel', in connection with eye color, was in any way connected to hazel nuts. I thought it was just another of those words that has multiple meanings, depending on how it is used.

No photos of my eyes, but this could be a fun, 'floof' thread!

Waiting to see what everyone else says. . . . .

Rusty

pudgeder

In that photo, they look more green to me than hazel.

My eyes are green.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I have hazel eyes with a lot of yellow, but they are fundamentally light brown. You have green eyes, not hazel. The tiny bit of brown seems irrelevant to the total color. If your eyes were a fabric swatch, I doubt you would call it light brown.

Your eyes are quite gorgeous, btw. My favorite eye color.

bpath reads banned books too

I think your eyes are multi-faceted, just as you are.

maifleur03

Some of the hazelnuts on the plants I have sometimes have an under color of green or yellow when the husks first release them. When dried that under color disappears. While mine are the wild shrub type since the hazel eye coloration has been around for a long time I would not surprised if what was grown centuries ago were colored differently from the more modern ones.

Texas_Gem

How fun! I would say your eyes are green but I can see why they might be called hazel.

My eyes are green.

Hubby is brown

3 kids are blue

And one is what I call hazel.

Today hazel eyes looks fairly brown but some days they look very green.

mama goose_gw zn6OH

My eyes are just like yours, Lars. When my pupils are dilated my eyes look almost golden brown. Every one else in my birth family had brown eyes, so mine were labeled brown, but I think they've become lighter as I've aged. I do have a couple of dark brown pinpoints in one iris.

My late husband had gray eyes with a golden spot in one iris; one child has my eye color, one has his--same gold spot, and the youngest has the ancestral Cherokee dark eyes.

morz8

My eyes are quite green without the touches of brown or gold. I've never called them hazel. My mother has blue eyes, my fathers were very deep dark brown. None of the three of us (brother, sister) have the brown eyes that I love.

Save    
Lars

Interesting that green hazel nuts have green and light brown colors in them - that makes sense.

In the dictionary that I have, hazel color means light brown, or the color of hazel nuts, but I don't know whether that applies to eyes or not.

My sister thought I had brown eyes, but when I told her to take a closer look, she said they looked more green than brown. Hers are a bright green - very different from mine. Kevin has blue eyes, but he thinks they are blue-green, but I think they are just very pale blue. Our father had pale turquoise eyes, and our mother's eyes were the same color as mine and our brother Mike's. Our mother's parents both had the same color eyes as our mother and me, as did many of her relatives, and so I always thought it was the most common color.

Thanks, Zalco - I never really appreciated the color of my eyes, and as a child, they always confused me. I like other eye colors better.

Save    
amylou321

Mine are blue. Though they have been described as gray,or bluish gray. Mine tend to change a bit when I am sad or angry more toward the grayish hue. Normally they are definitely blue. My parents eyes are what I describe as "clear blue." Lighter and more noticable than mine. For the most part, my siblings all have varying shades of blue or green,though one brother has greenish brown eyes. More green than brown.

Lars, if asked I would say that you have green eyes. I call light-ish brown eyes with subtle hints of gold or green hazel. I have always admired green eyes.

dedtired

Mine are hazel but more gold, green, brown combination. Nothing out of the ordinary. My father and brother have blue eyes and so do both of my kids, so I guess there is a blue eyed gene floating in me somewhere. Your eyes look more green blue to me, Lars. I think green eyes are the prettiest.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Mine are very similar to yours Lars. And Marilyn could have been telling my story lol. Everything had me with brown eyes. I finally paid close attention once I was able to get correction enough to see them and realized they were very much more Green than brown. But I do have that golden area around the pupil. My drivers license now list them as green.

rob333 (zone 7a)

Eyes aren't just one color, typically.

Mine are "blue" on my driver's license, but really, they're aqua with flecks of yellow. Standardized forms don't accommodate us. Such is life.

arkansas girl

Lars, that IS a very unusual eye color, I'd call them green but I can see how it would be confusing.

My eyes are exactly like Texas-Gems' child's eyes in the top of the blue eye group. Just below the husband's picture. They are blue but they have a little bit of other color to them, like a little bit of gold in there.

sheilajoyce_gw

My brother had my mother's coloring--dark brown hair and brown eyes. In his mid 40s, they turned to hazel. In his 70s they became a beautiful bright blue, and so now he has the same eye color as his 3 sisters and father. I never knew adult eyes could change so much.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Kathsgrdn

I have hazel eyes, kind of gray green. I think. Your eyes look green to me.

Save     Thanked by Lars
colleenoz

Mine are the same colour as Texas Gem’s eyes, I call it grey hazel as to me the greenish part has a touch of grey to it and there’s the light brown centre. My mother always described my eyes as ”blue“, even put that on my childhood passport but they only look bluish if I’m wearing the right colour.

DH has what I call “swamp water green“ eyes as they’re a dark sort of forest/hunter green.

DD has beautiful brown eyes, which were a bit of a surprise; like all babies she was born with blue eyes then after a few weeks they started to darken and for a while we thought they would be DH’s colour, until they turned brown.

Lars

My nephew has brown eyes, but my sister has green and her ex-husband had blue. When he was born, I didn't think it was possible for him to have brown eyes, but scientists have changed their views.

Here's a photo from 1978 of my eyes when I used to wear pale blue contact lens

Save    
lisa_fla

I thought they were green but these posts made me wonder if I had other color notes. No. Just green

ci_lantro

I have brown eyes, dark chocolate brown almost black. Owing to Cherokee heritage.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Elmer J Fudd

What percentage Cherokee are you?

Save    
chessey35

I was always told my eyes were brown but as I got older I realized that they were more green . My eyes look very much like yours.

OutsidePlaying

My eyes are deep brown. I’m one of those people with recessive brown genes, as I had blue-eyed parents, with a brown-eyed grandparent on each side plus a couple of brown-eyed aunts & uncles. My first husband had blue eyes. Our DD had beautiful gray eyes as a child and into her teens, which now have become more green as she has become older.

Jasdip

My eyes are the same, Lars.

My optometrist told me I had beautiful eyes the last time I was there. I've considered them hazel, as they're not a solid green or blue.

Save     Thanked by Lars
nickel_kg

Dad's eyes are blue-gray. Mom's were dark brown. Mine are lighter brown -- if you look real close there is a hint of green. One sibling has very green eyes, the other two have lightish brown like me. My DH and DD are both deeply blue-eyed.

I knew a woman who had the most beautiful green eyes. Then one day saw her without her contacts, and her natural eye color was an even more beautiful amber. Some people have all the luck!

Save     Thanked by Lars
share_oh

Mine are dark brown, almost black. Sometimes you can't see the pupil very well. No idea why they are so dark.

Save     Thanked by Lars
Lars

My eyes do change color, based on how much light there is. In a dark room, they appear more like light brown because my pupils are dilated, but in a bright room or in the sun, they look more green. I don't think my mood affects their color.

I have a difficult time trying to give people dirty looks or showing that I am displeased. When I do so, they usually laugh at me. I think I have very expressive eyes, but they are not good at expressing anger. My Italian teacher told me I was very good at expressing "Why don't they know this?" when other students would give wrong answers to her questions. I think Italians are especially good at reading facial expressions, which makes it easier to communicate with them.

Save    
chisue

I recently read that only brown eyes have actual colored pigment. The article said that all other eyes are colorless and pick up color from surroundings. That surprised me, and now I don't remember where I read this. It is true that my eyes and my husband's appear more or less intensely blue, grey or green depending on the color we're wearing. We've all heard the phrase, "That color brings out your eyes."

Save     Thanked by Lars
Michele

Whatever they are, they are beautiful. I have dark brown like my father. My mom has blue. My two brothers, blue. Sister brown. My three children have brown.

mama goose_gw zn6OH

Before I started needing bifocals, I wore contacts. For about 20 years I wore aqua-tinted lenses to enhance the green in my eyes, and as a bonus, they were easy to find if I dropped one in a white bathroom sink.

My eyesight has always been so poor, I've always squinted--so I have deep lines between my eyebrows. I can look angry without even trying.

Save     Thanked by Lars
caflowerluver

I was told when I was very young that my eyes were hazel. Later when filling out my driver licence paperwork, I asked a girlfriend what she thought the color of my eyes were and she said green. I have noticed as I have aged (68 YO) my eyes seem to be reverting to more multi color hazel than green. But when I wear a green top it makes my eyes more green looking and have got compliments. As I have gotten older I have a ring around the iris. It is called "arcus senilis or senile arc and is normal. I always envied my fraternal twin sister's blue eyes. They are such an intense blue that you noticed the color from across the room.

Save     Thanked by Lars
jkayd_il5

My husband's eyes are that color. I think his driver's license says Hazel. They look bluer when he wears a blue shirt

Save     Thanked by Lars
krystalmoon2009

Mine would probably be considered hazel but lots of light brown so i always said i had brown eyes.

Save     Thanked by Lars
woodrose

My husband has green eyes with amber flecks, and the color never changes. Our son's eyes are the same color, and husband's siblings also. I think that color is beautiful.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

My eyes are very blue.

No response to my question to the person saying they had dark eyes because of one or more Cherokee ancestor(s). The reason why I asked is because if such ancestor is farther back on the family tree than a grandparent, and possibly even if then, it's unlikely the dark eye allele came from that person. Maybe it was someone from a recent generation.

Save     Thanked by Lars
salonva

Mine are brown. They were very very dark brown almost black......and then... I had lasik about 25 years ago and I swear after that, they lightened up. Still brown, but a lighter brown.

Save    
Lars

Elmer, I have known people who were 1/4 Japanese or 1/4 Korean who had blond hair and blue eyes. I've also known people who said they were 1/4 black but had blond hair and blue eyes. So it is true that traits from grandparents can easily be lost.

Native Americans also have the highest percentage of albinism.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I went through this here 4 years ago...https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/3851427/what-color-are-my-eyes#n=30

I'd read that all the colors that occur in your eye are good colors for you to wear, so I was trying to figure out what those colors were.

This pic is not of my eye, but the eye is exactly the color of mine and it came out much clearer than my poor attempts at capturing the color:

IIRC, I figured out that, at least according to the internet, my eye color was also hazel, even though it's predominantly gray/green. But my eye color is so pale that it picks up on whatever is reflected around me. When I wear aquas, they turn blue...when I wear teal, they turn green.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Lars, for eye color and hair color, of course. That was why I thought the Cherokee ancestor and eye color comment potentially incorrect if it were other than a recent ancestor.

Heredity even on a a simple level for us civilians is something that's grossly misunderstood by people who assume and accept this and that through popular culture or family lore without really understanding any basics.

Save     Thanked by Lars
mama goose_gw zn6OH

This is such an interesting thread. I have always had a dark green limbal ring, but this is the first time I've heard of the lighter arcus senilis. As I am almost 63 I will watch for that.

Another interesting thing--the DD who inherited her father's grey eye color also has a dark limbal ring, but he did not.

Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Mine are dark blue. Almost the same as the dark blue of infants, so you might call them baby blue, I guess. My paternal grandfather had the same coloring.

And I was thinking of the tops of hazelnuts. The kind of resemble irises minus pupils, don't they?

Lars

Annie, I had no idea that you had started a similar thread four years ago - I should have done a search first. I see now it is not something completely different😵

Personally, I do not wear any of the colors that I find in my eyes - they are not my favorite colors, which I guess is why I never particularly liked the color of my eyes.

Reading Robo's comment about associating blue eyes with serial killers is something I could relate to. My father had small pale turquoise eyes that were very piercing, and I felt that he could look right through me. I've always been frightened or intimidated by that eye color, and I always felt more relaxed and comfortable with brown or hazel eyes. Pale blue eyes make me tense up, but dark blue eyes do not. Kevin has pale blue eyes, but I generally don't look at them. He pretty much has our father's eyes, and I have our mother's eyes.

One time I tried some green eye shadow, and it did make my eyes look green, but it also made them look way too dramatic.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

It's amazing what people notice....or don't. One year for April Fool's I wore one green contact with green eyeshadow and one blue contact with blue eyeshadow....and no one noticed.

Save     Thanked by Lars
mama goose_gw zn6OH

I mentioned Cherokee ancestry, and then someone after me did, too, before you asked, Elmer. I don't know which (or maybe both) of us you were addressing, but I'll answer. One of my grandmother's grandmothers was Native American from eastern KY. Grandmother always thought she was Creek/Muscogee, but a niece discovered Cherokee when she did an ancestry search. It's pretty certain that the ancestors were some who had escaped to the hills from the Trail of Tears, so could have been either tribe. My father's other side, great grandmother, was Cherokee from the same area of KY. My mother's mother had Native American through her mother, who died in childbirth, so I have no idea what tribe in southern Ohio. My husband also had Native American ancestors, some from our area, some from Tennessee and Arkansas, about the same distance back in the family tree. So, who knows where my DD got her eye color. She also has thick dark hair--when she was very small, after a summer of swimming and playing outside, she could have posed for an E.S.Curtis print.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

It wasn't your comment but here's briefly what's involved.

Every generation you go back, your ancestors double and what you got from any one is cut in half. Everyone has 4 grandparents - what any individual got from any one grandparent in particular is roughly 25% though it isn't always proportional . If you go to your parents grandparents, there are 8 of those and what you got from any one is (on average) 12% or your genetic makeup. If you go back a bit more generations, not too many more (like at the great-great grandparent level, of which everyone has 16), what you got from any one of them is mostly nothing.

So to say that "my mother's great grandmother was X and that's why I have blue eyes", dark hair or whatever, the likelihood is that that's not the case.

Save    
wildchild2x2

I would call your eyes hazel.

My eyes are a very deep set and dark brown. Like black olives. I look like my father but my mother had the same deep color. Eastern European background. I have a slight Mongolian fold I got my from my dad ,probably going back to our Asiatic ancestors.

My kids have brown eyes but lighter. DH has hazel eyes but more gray/blue wen he wears blue and green if he wears green or brown.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Apartments Houzz Tour: Something’s Different in Denmark
The owners of this bohemian Copenhagen apartment rebel against the Scandinavian penchant for white interiors
Full Story
Fun Houzz Something a Little Different: Fairy Houses
Miniature abodes crafted for otherworldly creatures capture the imagination
Full Story
Holidays Feast Your Eyes on Holiday Dishes Around the World
See traditional Christmas and New Year’s favorites from different countries, along with festive holiday table decor
Full Story