SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zeebee_gw

And now for something completely different - layout, round 2

zeebee
12 years ago

Back again for much needed layout/floorplan help. I appreciate so much how you all helped out last time and would love your clear-eyed views on the latest incarnation.

I am linking my last round of agonizing (and all your kind comments and suggestions) below. At our recent meeting with the architect, I presented all the plans and we debated the merits of a double galley kitchen (one wall with long island), L-shape with island and U-shape, all with a banquette and seating along the bottom wall. DH feels strongly that he wants to keep the full wall of windows, eliminating the U-shape option AND...he wants to eliminate the banquette and go for a regular table and chairs. When we calculated how much clearance we needed around all four sides of a table versus a banquette, the aisles started getting pinched in both the double galley and L plans. Unpleasant visions began dancing in our heads: chairs scraping against the island, chairs hitting the wall, me butting up against island whenever I opened the stove. Problem: all plans under consideration are now in peril.

Then DH saw a picture of a kitchen with a battered farmhouse table in the center and said, THAT is the layout - eating/socializing in the center and the kitchen around it. He even picked out a table (no agreement between us AT ALL on cabinet style or even color scheme, but hey, he has a great table in mind. Gracious me).

Ho-KAY. Well. I am game if it works.

Here is the kitchen space in relation to the rest of that floor of the house. Kitchen is 15'6 x 17'8, 8' ceilings, we are adding two sets of French doors from the kitchen to the garden.

And here is the plan I have been messing with:

Am I on the right track? The main issue/problem I see with this layout is the distance from prep to cleanup zone. I do not want to schlep every dirty prep dish across the kitchen, but I do not see where to fit a single dishwasher drawer on the prep side easily without giving up too much storage. Maybe I (*gasp*) handwash prep stuff.

I am open to anything - moving zones to different walls, rearranging every element in a zone, whatever. The immoveable chimney breast on the top wall (4" deep, about 60" wide) remains immoveable but no longer has to be the anchoring spot for the range. The only place the range cannot go, for venting reasons, is on the left-hand wall where the main doorway is.

And a quick note on the table: it would be extendable to seat six. Except for when we entertain, it would be set up as a four-seater, so that is the configuration in the plan above.

Thanks in advance for comments, suggestions, and any (verbal) slaps to the head to give me clarity on this.

Zeebee

Here is a link that might be useful: Layout agonizing - Round 1

Comments (22)