SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_morning

Round 2 - Exposed kitchen layout! Bam!

new_morning
10 years ago

Hello again! I posted two very different layouts a few weeks ago, and gained some valuable insight from all of you, so again, thank you!

Now I'm back for round 2, after hours of rearranging, back and forth, and exhausting variations of Options A and B (and C, D, E, F...), we're finally honing down on a kitchen layout. Amazing what you can do with scissors and scotch tape in the late hours of the night.

The winner of the first round? OPTION A (the visible kitchen, open to living room). I fought it hard, but everyone else invested in the project prefers this layout overall.

Things I'm giving up: a 'hidden' kitchen from front entry, a true walk-around island, large walk in pantry.

Things I'm gaining: 6' galley to accommodate lots of traffic, a kitchen more central to the home, ability to supervise other living spaces and pool.

My main beef with Option A was its exposure to the front entry door. Looks like I will have to find other creative ways to 'block' the kitchen view, or make it more visually pleasing from the front entry. So far, three options: 1) building galley wall extending out to island (becomes large peninsula) - defines LR space, blocks some of kitchen, and provides needed storage in galley, 2) build archway between LR and kitchen to draw eyes to some architectural design instead of straight into kitchen, 3) turn stair and create a foyer. Not sure yet if this last option is architecturally possible, but even if so, it has been determined that it will have to be a much later project b/c of the cost, and will also make our LR smaller, which I don't like. Just not a lot of space to work with. I welcome any comments or suggestions regarding this little debacle.

So pushing forward.

Here are 2 (now very similar) iterations of A, aptly named A1 and A2.
-We decided to put the pantry near the garage entry, and the desk hidden back near the breakfast area (good for homework near breakfast table or supervising young kids on computer. also less visible mess).
-We needed to create a large space in the breakfast area, otherwise we will regret the congestion later on - also b/c it's a pass thru to the piano room. The current area drawn 11'x12' should be sufficient for our growing family (larger than the space we currently use, 8x10). This means we had to remove any wet bar/cabs on the left wall. If we put something there, we'd need to omit the desk.
-Pocket doors between the breakfast and dining - which when open, works well for a kids and adults tables for large gatherings.
-If we outgrow the dining, or when kids are older, we may turn the dining into a homework room or other living space, and put a large dining table in the piano room.
-I fought for the luxury of a prep sink, so I could have separate washing and prep/cooking areas.
-Looking for best function. Also keep in mind what "view" of certain appliances will be seen from the front entry. So, which do you prefer?

First, the existing:

A1 - prep sink in island

A2 - main sink in island

Also, I do not know where to put the following:
-microwave (in pantry or island?)
-toaster oven (do we still need this if I am getting an Advantium?)
-warming drawer (to right of range?)
-landing spot for diaper bags/purses/papers? (the smallish desk in the back may have to suffice, but it's far from garage)

Other questions:
-shape of island (curved front?)
-prep sink in A1, in center or on end... or where in the counter run in A2?

THANKS in advance for all your candid feedback!

Comments (3)