SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denizenx

Layout Help, Round 2

denizenx
9 years ago

Okay, round one was here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2704823/layout-help-please

You guys were so generous. I’ve absorbed your feedback and made some redesigns using Lowes’ online planner. It’s very limited, for instance not allowing for shallow floor cabinets or Island overhangs, etc, so consider these just sketches on napkins. I think if you follow my links you’ll be able to access the program and can really get in there to navigate, in 2D and 3D — and even make changes —which you could then do a screen grab of, or save, should you chose to create a sign-in account.

So, I have a few options to show, lets see how I do with the Houzz formatting. For each layout I’ll post a screen grab then a link to the program for your perusal.

First, this is a rough overall downstairs floor plan:

This is the empty kitchen:

Now will come some layouts. One of the key elements is how to handle seating. We are a family of three, and our kid is an early teen. We don't need for all of us to have full meals in the kitchen, but a place for one or two to snack, have coffee, read the paper, keep the cook company, etc, should suffice.

Lets start with 2 variations on my wife's current favorite. The only difference is the style of seating. What we like: Nice contiguous run of counters. Minimal disruption of existing windows and doors. What we don't like: the seating is shoehorned in close to the dinning room entrance. The view is not great. Neither of which are deal breakers.

Bench Eating in Rear

Banquette In Rear

Next is what I'm guessing many will recommend. It moves the door to the dining room to allow for a full nook seating. We're reticent about this one because of issues of expense, wainscoting on the DR walls, adding the windows (optional) and the loss of pantry/utility space near the fridge (which could be even less than shown depending on the size of the adjacent powder room. But the full nook is cool!

Booth Nook - Move door

More in next post...

Comments (25)