Asclepias purpurascens

Lactuca

Polygonatum commutatum

redbud

Maianthemum

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Nice pictures, Jay! Had another strong thunderstorm this morning, more to come tonight. A lot of my plants looked very sad this afternoon. Must be a combination of standing in warm water and the sun, they never looked that bad even in high summer last year.

Save    
javiwa

The mountain mint Iris sent me is in bloom! Well, has bloomed -- appears I missed the first one. Must pay closer attention! I absolutely adore the leaf color.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I put my 4 lupins outside, and they started looking bad, so I brought them back inside. It's too wet for them outside. No rain here today, but the trails are still muddy.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Which mountain mint is that?

Save    
javiwa

It's the broadleaf, Jay - P. muticum, I believe.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think I have seedlings of those. I thought that I removed too much of my common mountain mint, but it has come back strong. I saw a pair of catbirds today. I think they were looking for a nesting sight.

Save    
ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado

I’m hoping this is the extension from “native plant hunters.” I had to dip out of that one since all the posts made it take too long to load with our satellite internet.

I have all my plants all dressed up and nowhere to go! This is the best year for cheatgrass I have ever seen and as it stands it’s all I can do to keep up with weeds, let alone make new beds for everything. It’s looking like it will be a fall plant-out this year.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Zach, sorry I let the thread get so long. Yeah same story here with pulling weeds and making new beds. I do have some new grass species that are cool. Is your winter finally over?

Save    

Eh, no worries, I should be outside pulling more weeds rather than in my recliner on the internet anyhow Jay, haha.

What grasses did you end up with? Are you still interested in sand dropseed? I have been furiously pulling both it and inland saltgrass out of my veggie beds this spring. I can wait for some to go to seed for you if you want it though. I haven't seen any woolly plantain yet, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled.

It warmed up in a hurry in May, which I was loving, but it also pushed us into drought conditions. Not entirely abnormal for the arid high plains. Not every year can be wet. But as soon as I planted my tomatoes we got a cold front that brought us down to 40 degrees (that was out at the airport in town, it was probably in the 30's at my house) last Sunday and Monday night. It also brought almost a full inch of rain with it though, which was much appreciated.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Here is todays effort, trench edged out the area where the grass will be eliminated. I planted some false sunflower seedlings next to that erigeron yesterday, I have the early goldenrod, maryland golden aster, and baptisia tinctoria almost ready to go in next. The Aletris farinosa and Penstemon hirsutus will probably need until fall. Im sure I have other species brewing that I could put in there.

I left a path of grass so I could walk in there and keep the coreopsis and rudbeckia laciniata from taking over the whole area. There's a lot of mulch, but what I normally do is dig up the grass, mulch with fresh wood chips, then never mulch again and let the plants fill in. The trench edging is a new step Im trying to keep the grass out.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think I wanted to grow sand dropseed, but never got seeds for it. The wooly plantain would be nice. I have been trying to grow Plantago virginica and rhodosperma from seed with no luck. Might be able to trade for Plantago cordata plants. When I first put the beds in most of the back yard, I used edging and had grass paths. It was later that I tore out the remaining grass and put in flagstone. There's still some edging that needs to come out. No need for it now. There are about 5 narrow leaves milkweeds that came back from last year. I have no idea what they are yet. I got them mixed up. I'm hoping maybe one might be pumila. The ten pumila seeds I had were bad and never germinated. I swear if you planted your tomatoes in July the weather would still dip below 45.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Rhynchospora knieskernii. Endemic to New Jersey pine barrens.Endangered. There are 20 species of Rhynchospora native to New Jersey.

Polymnia canadensis. Closely related to Smallanthus uvidalis.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/leafcup.htm

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I would probably not even notice that first plant and if I did I wouldn't have a clue what it was. I noticed this the other day

Blue toadflax Nuttallanthus canadensis.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Where'd you see it? I sowed Nuttallanthus seeds, but nothing yet. They don't need cms. I love that plant. I scattered Agalinis seeds around the grasses because they are hemi-parasitic.

This is the species that sparked my interest in this genus. Rhynchospora millacea, the most beautiful of them all. It only grows as far north as Virginia, but who knows.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The Toadflax was growing at the sandy park by work, from where I've posted pics of the sweet goldenrod and prickly pear before.

With all the aggressive plants I've planted I didn't think Astragalus canadensis would be one of the stronger spreaders.

Heres another one of my favorite messes

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I wish my milkvetch looked that good. Is the Rudbeckia too close to the house for the deer to eat? They ate all mine. I scattered lots of seeds in that area.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Do you grow any other Astragalus species? The one from sandy areas is nice. Thats a genus with a lot of species distributed widely.

The deer eat the sunflower right next to it, so I'm going to say no not too close to the house. Deer have different preferences based on the area and if its the only stuff around or the plants are small and fresh they will eat it.

Some more poke milkweed and whorled milkweed are germinating in the trays now. Im seeing more seedlings now, maybe 30%

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Right now I'm also growing Astragalus propinquus, Mongolian milkvetch. It for medicinal use, and it's not as important as the natives. I'd like to try Astragalus crassicarpus next year maybe if there's any room for it. None of my poke milkweed has come back yet. I should have started some under the lights. All my winter sown milkweeds are still tiny.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Everything is looking so good! What messes are you talking about, Skip? Nothing looks like a mess yet :) Common milkweed is still very popular plant with the pollinators.

The cool looking wasps are starting to show up.

Everything just seems to be very late this year.

Save    

Not looking for any kind of trade for the plantain seeds, Jay. I can send you sand dropseed seeds, too if you're still interested. Though, to be fair you can buy a pound of it for less than 5 dollars and that pound is probably 100 billion seeds (I usually add it a little bit of it to our restoration mixes).

When I lived closer to the mountains, there was tons of different Astragalus species. One of the more "showy" ones is A. drummondii. I swore for years I was going to collect seeds for it, but I never did. Now I don't make it to that area regularly enough to keep an eye on it. I think it's somewhat similar to A. canadensis.

I don't have many pollinator plants in the yard yet, though the ground dwelling bees are everywhere since we have a lot of bare ground. There was some that were were a strange powder blue color buzzing all over some unknown shrub yesterday, but the only butterfly I've seen is a red admiral that has decided that the area around the hunting trailer across from the house is it's territory. Strange since all the host plants are out by the ponds.

Everything is EARLY here, the sudden, and drastic, warm up has caused everything to bolt early. I already have sunflowers blooming in the driveway and the cheatgrass started turn 2/3 of the way through May. I've got a crew out at one of our refuges spraying teasel that will be flowering before the middle of June.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

You're too kind Iris, I purposely try to get all the weeds out of frame. I spent a good deal of time pulling creeping charlie out of there before. Pollinators are starting to show up here too, I saw a couple tiger swallowtails and a crazy looking wasp today. Hoping my common milkweed blooms this year.

I found a third sedge species on my property, a colony has formed from some scattered individuals under the Norway spruce.

This is the ninebark today that started out as a tiny stem and a couple leaves in 2016, it's over 6ft now:

I wonder how much closer to the sidewalk I could push that planting, 3 more feet? Kill some grass and plant a seed mix?

Oh man, one low key highlight of my day was when my wife, unprompted, said the Astragalus looked cool while we were looking at other stuff. She is not a plant person is always bugging to plant butterfly bushes and the spiky purple veronicas.

Save    

Skip, I know the feeling about the wife not being a “plant person” all she ever wants me to plant is trees, trees, and more trees. She’d rather live in a New England hardwood forest than out here in the prairie. Well, I rooted about two dozen cottonwood twigs this spring, that’s the best I can do.

You don’t have a mess, I have a mess! This is all cheatgrass, with some kochia, pigweed, and flixweed for good measure. The bindweed is hiding in the undergrowth. I can can only get the disk so close to the house.

Another spot in the “yard.” I can count on one hand the indeviduals and species that I want to live out there. A few sunflowers and a couple prickly poppies. The rest is again, cheatgrass kochia, pigweed, and bindweed.

If I ever get these weeds under control I might have a place for these guys. The combined results of my winter sowing, bare root digging, twig rooting and purchasing. I could plant a substantial prairie if it weren’t for the confounded weeds!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Zach, I'm not sure, but I might have already sowed seeds for Sporobolus cryptandrus. I have to check my seeds. Your plants look great.

Allium cernuum

Zanthoxylum americanum

blue flag iris, Iris versicolor

Arisaema dracontium

Arisaema dracontium

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Raymond Cranfill

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That took an unexpected turn, Jay. Yesterday I sprayed the lawn area that I edged out with glyphosate and filled the trench edge with wood chips. Today I planted the Solidago juncea in there. I also planted Ionactus linariifolius and Erigeron pulchellus up front next to my steps, and Boltonia decurrens and Doellingeria umbellata in the back by the pussy willows and meadowsweet.

plant em tiny and wait

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Zach, that’s a lot of plants you need to find room for! At least you know what kind of weeds you have. I have a lot I don’t know. And of course the hundreds of cypress vines and morning glories showing up. The storm on Friday combined with it being so rainy caused more damage than I first noticed. Husband is going to have to get the chainsaw out, but I am still going to have to drag the stuff around.

The ground is so soggy, stuff just toppled over

And bad picture, but the finches are really going after my purple tops this year. Never did that before.

Lots of ladies and buckeyes out today. These little ones are bullies! Chased away a Monarch and a Zebra Swallowtail. Not happy about the Zebra, I don’t see them often. But I did see eggs on my Paw Paws earlier!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The verbena seeds are tiny. I'm surprised the goldfinches like them. Can you hoist the tree back up? So are ladies and Buckeyes territorial with flowers? They seem to get along ok in my garden. It hasn't rained in a few days now, but a lot of paths at the park are still muddy.

My Asclepias asperula is making flower buds. I need to plant it tomorrow. I think the narrow leaves milkweed is arenaria.

The quadrifolia need to get in the ground, so the can hopefully bloom 1st year.

4 blue lupins

Crotalaria saggitalis

Tephrosia virginiana

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That Asclepias quadrifolia is looking really good. I have 2 Asclepias variagatas with a set of true leaves, working on the second. I planted an Anaphalis margaritacea from the plug tray today. It looks like my common milkweed will flower this year.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, your plants are looking good! Not going to try to get that tree back up. There are other trees behind it, so no way to attach some chains and pull it up. Plus it looks awfully heavy.

Skip, the milkweed is looking great! The common one is really fragrant.

My citriodora looks to be a darker color this year than last. Probably my imagination. Very pretty though. It recovered nicely from hanging down.

I was going to take out at least some of the buttonweed. Too late.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That citriodora has a beautiful color. I just went back to the toadflax park and the other sandier side blew me away.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a nice park Skip. I'm not sure if my buttonweed cane back. We are going to meat for a field trip at Braidwood Dunes on Saturday. Floyd is going to show us new areas. There's some plants that I hope to see like Comandra umbellata.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It makes me so angry that this awesome tiny fragment of an ecosystem is surrounded by car dealerships and suburbs. Im jealous you have some big parks around you. The field trip with a botanist to the atlantic coastal white cedar swamp is coming up in a few weeks, that should be interesting.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great pictures, Skip! Is this all prickly pear cactus? Looks like a very interesting place. So different.

Jay, sounds like a nice field trip! Make sure not to stick your heads together over the same plant :) Sorry, protective mom mode kicking in.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It is all prickly pear as far as I can tell. I haven't seen any other parks like this in the area, it is amazing. The whole park is 169 acres total but this short grass and cactus part is only maybe 2-3 acres.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Sunny, 87 degrees here today. Things are finally starting up a bit more. The frog fruit is taking over the lawn. Yay! And even recently mowed, it’s blooming in these parts, too. Not as much as in the flower bed, but I take it.

Milkweed I forgot I planted there. Happens a lot.

It is blueberry season. And looks like a really good year for them.

Skip, hard to believe this part of your park could easily fit into my backyard. It looks so big in the pictures.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Maybe its a little bigger? There is like a long sand bank that ends in that cactus area. The whole field is bigger but the sandiest part specifically is pretty small. Blueberries look tasty. I got my Reeseville ridge order today, planted the Quercus prinoides, and he threw in an extra one for free. I planted one in a lot of sun but the other 2 are kind of iffy. The seed provenance is from a West Virginia Shale barren which is just hot, dry, rocky, and extremely sunny, with little top soil. We'll see how adaptable the species is.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I still didn’t get my order.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Be on the lookout, I got no communication before the order shipped and haven't even paid for it yet.

I planted my maryland golden aster and sneezeweed today too. Thinning out those milk jugs. Have to find a spot for the Dodecatheon soon.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Your plants are growing a lot faster than mine Skip. The only ones that are ready to plant are the ones I grew inside. I'm not seeing many insects. It's depressing. I started a compost pile, so the toads and hummings should get more bugs.

Penstemon smallii

Rumex altissimus. I had 4 plants. Now just 1. They are just too huge.

Baptisia australis

Gaillardia aristata

Penstemon digitalis, Verbena hastata, Veronicastrum virginica.

Nabalus alba

Aquilegia canadensis, Osmorhiza claytonii, Polygonatum commutatum, in back Arisaema triphyllum, Geranium maculatum

Cirsium discolor

Elephantopus carolinianus

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I dont think they are growing any faster, I just plant them small since they are getting crowded, most have 1 set of true leaves, maybe 2 at most.

Baptisia and Penstemon are flowering. Some small burrowing critter is messing up the penstemon and baptisia closest to the camera.

Yarrow looks like it is planning world domination. I dumped all my prairie moon monarda freebees over here a couple years ago. One is finally coming up now

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay and Skip, it looks like everything is growing very nicely in your yards! Jay, didn’t know you also have the Elephantopus carolinianus. It seems everything is really late this year. No Gulf Fritilary yet. My passion vine should be crawling with cats by now. Didn’t even see a single aphid on my milkweeds yet. That’s a first! The Zebra Swallowtail is still around. What a beautiful critter!

The mountain mints look like they are going to start blooming soon. Talk about world domination!

the bee balm behind it is also spreading in all kinds of directions. Common milkweed is still a big hit with the bumble and carpenter bees.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Awesome pictures Iris, everything is looking vibrant. I've seen excessive ants farming aphids and I guess honeydew all over my cherry trees. Its really ugly but today the clean up crew showed up. I didn't get a pic on the cherry but found one later on the hollow joe pye weed

These plants are already much bigger than their final size last year.

A little woodpecker was munching on the carpenter ants while my daughter and I watched from only 10 feet away.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What are those 2 plants in the bottom picture Skip? Everyone's plants look great. My Jerusalem artichokes have returned from the dead and so has a native Astlbe biternata I planted a few years ago. It was hot, but I planted a few things. My quadrifolia are finally in the ground. Just for fun I pulled out a whole patch of Urtica dioica without gloves. I still feel needles and pins. I wish it would cool down some.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yikes, Jay! My Jerusalem Artichokes are never going to go anywhere. They are mowed down to 2 inches whenever they try. It was 93 degrees here today.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay, those are Eutrochium fistulosum.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Thermopsis mug shot

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Oh, how nice! I didn’t know you have that one! I just planted two a little while ago. On one, the top was eaten off. The other was pulled/ dug out. Luckily during our endless rain. So it didn’t look too bad by the time I saw it and replanted. No plants from Reedsville. Guess I should send an email.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My Thermopsis plants have buds. It's hard planting anything when it's so hot. I should start early and then work later.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Animals can be a challenge. I had to replant my heuchera multiple times last year and put a couple bricks around it because the ground hog kept digging it up.

It is hot and humid here too, but I just go out for an hour at a time and plant whatever is ready to go in the ground.

purple joe pye hanging in there. Destroyed by fungus the first year, chomped by deer last year, too much shade from the ninebarks this year. The plant is not having an easy time. I'll move it when I finally get the sump pump drain project done.

couple wild sennas doing okay. Got one on the other side of the yard doing better too.

Callirhoe involucrata

ninebark flowers fade from white to this color, very nice.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Here are some pictures from our field trip.

This Calopogon tuberosa is very rare and it hasn't been seen at the area for years.

Asclepias amplexicaulis. My 1st time seeing it in person.

Asclepias amplexicaulis

Hairy pucoon, Lithospermum caroliniense

A huge mound of Tephrosia virginica

Prairie phlox, Phlox pillosa

Bracken ferns are kind of taking over.

A blue lupin with unusual color variations

Asclepias amplexicaulis, sand milkweed, blunt leaved milkweed.

Anthony is studying botany and apparently getting some help from Dr. Gerould Wilhelm.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

From Mississippi. A hybrid between Asclepias rubra, red milkweed, and Asclepias lanceolata, few flowered milkweed.

Discovered and photographed by Aaron Fen Calidris

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Love your ninebark, Skip. I tried growing one once. It just withered away. Jay, this looks like a fun and educational field trip. Hope it wasn’t too hot. Well, “weeds” are blooming here.

I am always leaving some Pokeweed, going to leave some of the Carolina horsenettle, too. For now it’s just poking out of the other plants, so not a problem. Seems valuable for the critters.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I was just looking at that horsenettle Iris. Its listed as a noxious weed in a lot of places but seems to have some wildlife and pollinator value. I see that plant a lot at the parks. I have tons of pokeweed at the back of my property too.

All the tall stuff in the middle is pokeweed. One of the few mid height plants the deer dont devour. This is all mostly Pokeweed, virginia creeper, poison ivy, and dewberry with some sedges, grasses, and some invasive weeds mixed in. When I started it was mostly multiflora rose, japanese honeysuckle, and burning bush so this is an improvement.

Jay, what was that habitat with the milkweed like? Dry, sandy and open?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It was sandy and dry where the amplexicaulis were growing. Floyd said that's what they prefer. I'm letting a couple poke weeds grow too. I saw some last year the size of trees. I don't mine to get that big. It was very hot, and it was hard walking over logs and through a swamp with sink holes. I was starting to overheat. There aren't any benches in the middle of the swamp. The downy sunflowers were everywhere.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am surprised how the deer’s taste changes each year. Last year they ate every single pokeweed down to nothing. Hardly a nibble so far.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I wonder if the plants adapt to make more anti-herbivory chemicals. I read or heard on a podcast of a plant reacting to deer saliva to make more repellent. They haven't touched my sunflowers this year either. I think pokeweed depends on water for its size. Mine grow huge in June with the residual groundwater from spring, and then wilts and yellows when it gets hot and dry later in summer.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I wonder if I'll ever be able to let my devil's walkingstick out of it's cage. There are millions of morning glories everywhere. It was beautiful for a little while until the sun came out. The only 2 stalks on my Asclepias tuberosa both broke off. I need to start putting seedlings into bigger pots.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I planted out some more stuff yesterday, american bellflower and more Anaphalis. The plug trays are nice when they work.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Those plants are a nice size. My Gnaphalium is little. Another hot, dry day.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It was hot here, too. Remember I planted some veronicastrum cultivars last Spring and they all got eaten? I have a bloom this time around on one.

Queen of the Prairie is starting to bloom. So far just some funky flies interested.

mountain mints are very late, but also starting. Critters can’t wait for them

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The Veronicastrum is nice. Is it 'cupid' or 'fascination'.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s the fascination. The Cupid and the straight one have been eaten.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was moving pots around and wouldn't you know there are skipper cats eating my Apios priceana seedlings. There are 3 that have germinated.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, that’s what you planted them for, right?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Thats not fun, Jay. I would be disappointed if some cats showed up and ate all my new milkweed seedlings, or any of my new plants. Im fine with established plants getting damaged, just not much-anticipated new plants and seedlings.

I planted my Dirca palustris today, figured they would do better in the ground in the shade garden vs. living in those tiny pots on my deck. I wonder how many years it will take them to reach a noticeable size

I have 3 straight species local ecotype Veronicastrum virginicum plugs on the way, as well as 3 Hamamelis virginiana plugs. At the end of the day ecotypes probably dont matter that much but it feels good getting the local stuff.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I'm going to move the cats to the Apios americana vines.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am going to have to look up what a Dirca is. Thank you all for continuing to educate me. I found this cute little plant growing at the base of a fleabane today. Any idea what it is?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, It looks a lot like Solidago ptarmicoides/ Oligoneuron album, but I need better pictures of the leaves. The flowers look great. The upland, white goldenrod is supposed to have between 10 and 25 ray petals. Your plant has only 6 or 7. I relocated the 2 priceana leaves with the skipper cats.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What about Sericocarpus asteroides?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

This is the only picture I took of the leaves.

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Save seeds, Iris!

Edit:

Oenothera fruticosa. Not bad for the first year in the ground.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My oenothera are blooming too. There were lots of little bees on my Coreopsis lanceolata. Iris, some pictures of Sericocarp7s leaves have light teeth on the edges like this picture. Can you take a good look at this leaf and see if it matches your plant?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I will take a closer look at the leaves. Just did get a reply from Reeseville about where my Amorpha nitens are. Says the seeds failed to germinate this Spring and he will try again in Summer. Now that’s a bummer!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sorry to hear that Iris. I had another order coming from them, but if it doesn't arrive that's ok. I have enough other plants to worry about. It was 100 yesterday and feels like 95 now. There's supposed to be a big cool down on the weekend.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It was hot again here, too. I was about to drag the water hose around, but it’s raining nicely now. The leaves on my plant don’t look at all like the one in your picture. Here it is.

other than a single Monarch, not a single of the “big ones” around today. What is up with that? Plenty of all kinds of bees though.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Time for bug pics? I saw a skipper moving fast before too, probably silver spotted.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Love bug pictures! Still not sure if the bee I saw was that Asian Giant one. It looks like it to me (and my ID app). I posted it on the insect forum. The Japanese beetles are back. Now these I could really do without. They love evening primrose. Do you guys have them?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Beautiful pictures. Duh, I didn't even consider that there were more Sericocarpus species. S. linifolius has matching leaves, I think. There's a system moving through now and dropping a lot of rain. I planted some milkweeds today, variegata, ovalifolia, purpurascens, hirtella.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, stay safe! Our weather man mentioned the Chicago area with getting high winds.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thank you, Jay! This might be it! The whole plant is at about 13 inches, so that would work.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Jay what Packera is that?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's Packera glabella. Only a couple P. aurea seeds germinated and they are tiny and barely growing. I have a few more glabella volunteers this year.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Really odd weather today. A lot of showers that lasted just a few minutes, followed by the sun making it steamy. Not bad weather to get some more of my potted plants in the ground. Got surprised by sudden rain a couple of times though. Some thunderstorms this evening. On the bright side, this weather confused my spicebush cat, so I could have a look at it during the day.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice caterpillar.

Anyone else have their Veronicastrum break and fall over? Cant tell if its rot or maybe borers. It was just starting to develop flower stalks. This is the purple one "Lavender Towers"

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, most of mine don’t get the chance. They get eaten off. Kind of odd that this is all at the same height.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My Veronicastrum are ok, but they have broken in the past. I don't see any buttonweed coming back. Maybe I collected it after they seeded.

Oenothera fruticosa

Diervilla lonicera

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s a pretty Oenothera picture! I have two kinds of evening primrose. Didn’t plant any of them. This one is driving me insane. Not blooming yet. There are hundreds of seedlings all over the place. And yes, I know. Cypress vines.

Edited for a picture of the more well behaved one.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That Oenothera is looking full Jay. I planted an Oenothera biennis this spring, I looked at it one morning and it had what looked like white foam all around the lower leaves. I sprayed it off with the hose mist nozzle, and the whole portion of the plant above the white stuff fell off. I checked on it a few days later, something dug a hole next to it exposing half the roots, I filled it back in. Next day the rest of the plant was gone. I see a green nub growing from the remaining bit of stalk near the ground, maybe it will grow back.

The hollow stem Joe pye weed is going for it this year. I am going to enjoy seeing the flowers sticking up from the other side of the fence later.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Foam as in spittlebug? But that’s usually not doing anything. I never had any success with Joe Pye weed.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah it did look like pictures of that spittlebug foam. Maybe the plant fell apart for other reasons, it was never really thriving.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

There was a spittle bug on my bronze fennel. I just left it alone and there is no damage. I like the Oenothera fruticosa a lot more than biennis. I've been trying to grow O. pilosella. I sowed some macrocarpa seeds too. It used to be called missouriensis.

Save    
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

New this year.

Jay-the Thermopsys iooks nice but is going to get huge eventually, as in 4' wide and 8'' tall. Keep that in mind. I've been dividing mine and moving it around. It won't bloom for another few weeks yet.

My seedlings are coming around nicely, but my germination time frame ends in about 3 more weeks. After that they need to wait til next year. I got some surprise Callirhoe this week that were seeded last year. So there is still hope.

Zach's Penstemons germinated nicely and will go into the garden soon. I ended up with way too many Elderberry seedlings this year. Reminds me of my phenomenal success with Aralia racemosa five years ago. I had hundreds of plants to deal with. But they are scattered all over and doing well on their own. I will find lots of places for Elderberrys.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

8 feet tall? I already am noticing some taller plants that need moving. My Verbena hastata is shading out the blue flag and Culver's root. And that monstrous silphium or whatever it is keeps getting bigger. I think it would be hard to move. I think silphiums have deep roots. Do you have bracken ferns up there Dandy?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Which Silphium is it? Do you grow the S. terebinthinaceum? I didn't know the Thermopsis got that large, I should move mine if that is true, that would be bigger than Baptisia and Joe pye, and even some shrubs I have.

I planted a couple witch hazel plugs today, quick and dirty.

Save    
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

Probably as large as Joe Pye. I now think Silphium perfoliatum should never be in a formal area. Culvers root will get 4; or so. Bracken Fern is very common here.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just started a new thread. This one was about 100 comments.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Inspiring Gardens Lawn Gives Way to a More Natural Lakeside Garden
Meadow grasses, beach pebbles and driftwood replace turfgrass in a nature-friendly landscape on Lake Washington’s shore
Full Story
Landscape Design Moss: Nature’s Carpet for the Garden
Learn how to grow and use this ancient and mysterious natural wonder for delightful texture in the landscape
Full Story
Life 10 Great Ways to Unplug and Tune In to Nature
Whether you pledge to camp out or just promise yourself a stroll, these ideas will help you heed the call of the outdoors
Full Story
If you are looking to build a deck, pergola or screen porch, look no further. Signature Deck & Pergola Co. has... Read More