SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_315479926

Adding wall to aluminum screen enclosure

3 years ago

I'm in the process of installing an outdoor kitchen and have hit a snag with a design change. I've poured an extension on my existing pool deck and extended the aluminum screen enclosure around the new pad, with an insulated panel roof covering the new pad.
So, the snag: "We" (meaning my wife told me) that "we" would now like a 10' portion of the screen enclosure that extends from the house to be a solid wall. The purpose being to hang a TV on the wall and do a tile backsplash behind the TV. I'm confident that it wont be an issue to just install aluminum "studs" inside the frame of the existing enclosure and attach cement board directly to the studs, then finish with tile.
My concern is the opposite side of the cement board wall and how to protect it from the elements, as I know very little about siding. Would it be possible to just attach ipe or cumaru rainscreen siding directly to the aluminum frame? Thought process being that the aluminum studs would serve as furring strips allowing the cavity to breathe? If I did this, would a moisture barrier be necessary? Any other suggestions or tell me why I'm nuts?
Thanks in advance!

Comment