SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cardarlin

Harbor Frieght Aluminum Greenhouse, Need some advice for Michigan

cardarlin
13 years ago

Hello all, I am from Southeast Michigan and I am looking into building a greenhouse. I live out in the woods and have always wanted a nice vegetable garden and a place to grow flowers for indoors and outdoors. Unfortunatly all my attempts to grow a vegetable garden have failed because of insuficient structures to keep out the many deer that float through my yard everday and the countless critters. We have 2.5 acres of woods and the areas that are open have drain fields (2). So I started looking into building a greenhouse for my hobby plants and possibly for a small vegetable garden for my family. I origionally wanted to build a quaint country like greenhouse from salvaged materials but my father showed me this ad for a 10x12 aluminum and polycarbonate panel greenhouse and the price seems very reasonable. I'm very new to this and do not know a lot about greenhouses or what works for my area and our winters.

My questions would be... in winter time would this structure be completly useless as is? Would I need to worry about the soundness of the roof is a lot of snow has accumilated? And is there anything I can add to this to make it somewhat functional ( perhaps just for extra house plants if no room in the house) during the winter here.

Last winter we were hit with a lot of snow ( my husband had to go and shovel off our roof several times) and temperatures got down to about 15-20 degrees f. I don't recall it getting much lower than that. I'm just looking for something to get me going for the next 5-10 years.

Please let me know what you think...

Thanks for your time.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-12-ft-greenhouse-with-4-vents-93358.html

Comments (16)