SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlk555

Recommendations for evergreen front plantings (zone 6b, full sun)

dlk555
3 years ago

Last year I took out an overgrown tree and a bunch of dead plants in this bed in front of my front steps and planted some rhododendrons (1 boursault, 1 unknown from a relative's yard), tiny wine ninebark, gray owl juniper, annabelle hydrangea, prairie dropseed, 3 purple coneflower, and a magic carpet spirea. It's not quite working... My main issue is in winter it looks so bare and I realize I should have incorporated more evergreens. Another issue is that I think it looks a little hodge-podge with so many different things, and not sure if that look "works" or if I should have focused on repeating a couple more plants. My thought was to take out the spirea (I ended up not really liking having just a single pop of yellow/chartreuse there, and ideally want more native plants), and to fill up that corner with 3 evergreens like gem box inkberry or danica arborvitae. I might have room for 3 evergreens AND the spirea (or a replacement for it), but not sure. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

Some other problems... this spot gets full sun (afternoon) and the rhododendrons seem to be staying alive but are kind of yellowish. Should I leave them there or replace them with something more tolerant of full sun? I do have some densa inkberries elsewhere I could use.

And lastly, I left a lot of room for each plant to grow (especially the gray owl juniper), but it does look kind of bare... should I be planting perennials in the bare spots for now until everything fills in more? If so, any recommendations for what and where? Or should I just give it time to grow? :)

Any thoughts or suggestions to make this a little better would be appreciated!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living