SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irol96

Paint colors, furniture, etc.

irol96
3 years ago

We are in the middle of a renovation and I am completely (and happily) overwhelmed and would love your ideas and creativity!! You all give such amazing input, and I've watched so many journies. I am so thankful for anyone willing to dedicate time to my challenge. :)

After years of thinking the house felt dark and a little awkward, we are:

1. cutting in two windows on either side of our fireplace and putting in window seats

2. putting a pair of glass-paned pocket doors between the office (in the front of the house, east facing, right off our entry way) and the living room (back of the house, west facing - has the bay window, open to our super traditional kitchen)

3. putting bookshelves in the office on either side of the pocket doors

4. Updating lighting throughout (canned in living and office + one fixture in office).

Design wise, I like all the things. I like farmhouse, I like traditional, I like modern, I like boho... that's actually the problem - I can't decide and part of our plan is trying to update the house to our "style(s)" while also being cognizant that its.... a center-foyer-colonial. :)

Pics of work in progress -- sorry for the mess -- and a little inspiration!

So where I would LOVE your brilliance:

1. what wall and trim paint colors would you consider? (trying to go brighter overall), especially given the red undertones in the floors that are in every room and the warm/dark colors in the kitchen?. Current wall color is Pashmina, and I am open to any suggestion, but have current contenders on the wall of Benjamin Moore Classic Gray, White Dove, Simply White, Seapearl).

2. If we go moody on the bookcases, what color(s) gray/blue/green/other (if any) would you consider (again accounting for those darned floors)? Open to anything - as a starting point, pic is Pigeon (Match of Farrow & Ball), Charleston, Chelsea Gray, and Magnolia Pond Stone. (darkest). And if you hate moody, say so! This will be what you see from when you walk in the door so it matters. :)

3. I could really use an amazing (low budget) light fixture for these 8' ceilings :( It'll hang over a desk for now, maybe an ottomon/four piece conversation area later.

4. Any specific (low profile, small(er)) furniture or accessories just crying to live in these spaces?

5. Tell me what you like about the plan.

6. Heck, tell me what you hate. :) (yes, I hate my kitchen, too!)

7. Tell me what I haven't thought of!

Thank you in advance.

Pocket door inspiration (glass panel):

Bookshelf inspiration:

Library built-ins · More Info

Comment (1)