SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_474629887

Baby Girl Room - Help with color

LKB
3 years ago

I got some direction and decided to paint the entire room / ceiling the same color.

I’m also working on making the room a little more whimsical per advice.

I found a sweet fabic that I adore. (Color shows a little darker in photo) My mom will be making curtains.

After spending hours looking at my SW fan, reading blogs, looking at LRV, and debating we picked up a few stand alone options on small swatches.

Husband wants pink, I adore greens. So we got 1 sample for each of us.

We went with inno
cence (pink) and livable green.

Now, I’m sure I’m not giving the colors a fair shot because it’s dusk, and they actually photography much better than what they look like in real life. And we will be looking through out the day as they react to the light) angled window faces NW, other windows we faces due north.

My questions:

Is the current wall paint (Kilim Beige- man that looks dire the on every wall too!) making the green look blue to me? (Hard to show in photos)

Our lighting is definitely warm- I don’t want to blind her by putting in 5k bulbs, but is it worth getting something cooler to help. A dimmable fan is not in our current room budget.

Should I be looking at a completely different pink or green? I liked “softened green” but everything I read said to go one shade lighter than what you like. And since we are painting the whole room I’d rather it be lighter.

I definitely want there to be contrast between the white trim (which we will be repainting- white) so I was scared to go 1 up on pink to “patient white).

I don’t mind getting 1 more sample.. maybe 2 but I for sure can’t go buy a bunch.

Comments (102)

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are the swatches in morning light.

Bottom right is 50/50

Middle is 90/10 (dark/light)

Top is 75/25 (dark/light)

Over the light color.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Methinks the colors are too light for the fabric. Instead of covering an entire wall with it, I'd use it as a small accent; bed/crib skirt, chair or curtains.

• Related Discussions

Baby room color, help please

Q

Comments (3)
    The wall color in the picture looks like a khaki on my monitor. What about matching a light green hue from the leaves in the floral design? Very sweet bedding, by the way.
    ...See More

Help choosing a color for my girls' room

Q

Comments (22)
    Ok second question: trim for doors & two windows...paint or stain to match door? There is no baseboards yet but I plan to paint them as well as the small trim at top. Still undecided if I'm painting or staining the ceiling. I'm adding photos below of different looks. (Btw the paint is the first coat of BM Linen White & even though it may look like it the trim is currently not stained at all. The door is stained Minwax Provincial). And while we're at it go ahead and give me your opinions on staining vs. painting the ceiling. For what its worth this bedroom and the mirror image of it on the other side of the wall are additions to our mobile home. So these two rooms are the only ones w/ beadboard ceilings. And yes I know it's "just a mh" but it's where we'll most likely spend the rest of our lives. We tend to have a rustic vibe and there is a lot of wood throughout the main portion.
    ...See More

What color to paint a shared girl toddler/boy baby room ?

Q

Comments (16)
    Bright colors with lots of contrast are very good for developing eye coordination. Helping babies to focus etcetera. Primary colors are always good. Maybe paint the walls a cheerful yellow with bright red curtains and blue Linens Etc. I do know one young mother who painted her baby's room white with all black accessories. Her logic was that that was the highest contrast a person can get LOL.
    ...See More

Changing from baby room to little girls room

Q

Comments (11)
    Keep the decals! Cuz I like them LOL. I like the photo with the purple bedding and the pink rug. These are much richer and much easier to change out than painting the whole room, and she probably will want to change some things out as time goes by. This way, too, it will still be her familiar old room, yet it will be a big girl room. (Kinda makes you happy, kinda makes you want to cry doesn't it!)
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

Since the floral fabric pattern is fairly small in scale, I'd think about a larger gingham check, or possibly even a larger cabana stripe. Solids work, too, particularly if you trim them out with piping as in the previous photo I showed you. Have fun!

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

Crafty moms are the best. My mom is the same.

I like your table- eventually your daughter will be trying to pull up on items like that (potentially tipping them over-very bad!), so just be mindful of that. If you keep the whitewashed wood on the side table I would find frames or shelves in a similar wood to unify the elements. Or you could paint it white.

I love babies’ rooms- can’t wait to see the final product

I think your floral fabric pulls the green from your beige- I like it with your fabric and the pink (at least that’s how it looks on my screen). I‘d probably go pink-er but I love pink.

Kilim beige coordinates with charming pink like I posted above, which is similar to innocence. I think you’re OK on paint.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I like the 50/50 mix, but that is just based on pictures viewed on a computer monitor.

I think the light pink walls, white trim, flowered curtains will be beautiful and allow you to add deep pinks and greens throughout the room. I would probably do curtains and the crib bumper in the flowered material, the glider seat cushion in a deep green and a deep pink for her blanket.

Add a lamp - paint the base in the deepest pink color or one of the deep greens,

Add some art and buy a Sample of paint that is the dark green or the dark pink and paint the frames.

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jennifer Hogan

Thank you!!!

Yes. Paint ya been mixed at 50/50.

Maybe 60/40 dark would have worked better but I feel like I’d be least disappointed in the color being a hair too light vs too dark.

SW suggested I prime... which I was hoping buying their emerald line I wouldn’t have to. But better to do it right than take short cuts.

Walls are cleaned, holes fills, all trim was sanded, caulked and has been painted. Will prime and paint tomorrow.

I’m so grateful for everyone adding fabric suggestions and helping me round out the room!

My mom and I love to thrift/ garage sale/ drove around on trash day.

I found 2 large (maybe 24x36) canvas paintings that I’ll paint over (or have my friend who is an artist paint) - I’m digging those large florals. My mom suggested covering the canvas with the curtain fabric, and paint a giant flower over it. Not sure I like that but could be neat.

I also found a pretty neat lamp that may look excellent in one of the colors you suggested. It’s heavy so it will only last until she’s in her room unsupervised. Not sure what I will either do to the existing shade- my mom says she has a white shade I can have too.

My favorite flowers are tulips and I’m wondering if I could do a two part tulip painting (pinks or yellows).

I would love to hang a piece of my artwork from when I was a child that my parents hung in our kitchen for many years.

It seems like people love baby rooms (I skipped a nursery because I meal prepped instead WORTH IT!!). So hopefully I can have a cohesive room when I’m done!

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Katie B. Wow!!! Beautiful!

Yes, seems like a few of you are invested in helping me create a beautiful room!!!

Will post photos of the room tomorrow or Sunday when we get it all painted. Doubtful the true shade will come through... but I’m really feeling it’s the best I could do without bringing professional help into my actual home, increasing my budget and purchasing 10 more samples!!!

My mom is a Jill of all trades! I like to think I got some of her skills! I’m more into wood working and cricut stuff vs sewing though. We make a good team!!

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@suezbell I don’t know why I didn’t see your comment until this morning!!!!!

Thank your for sending me links!!! Love that quilt! The coordinating curtains for it, had a vallance. I showed my mom and we are going to do that to cover the blinds when they are pulled up. Thank you!!! I also like the green pattern for the under side of the quilt and it gave me some great ideas! (Since I already picked curtain fabric)

I went with a lighter pink than the original and think I will be very pleased!

The Pinterest links sent me to a red white and blue bed set. What should I be looking at?

Great tip on the photo frames!

I plan to let her room evolve with her tastes. Right now it’s all about me.. except I did hold a pink and green swatch in from of her and she grabbed the pink. lol. She’s 6 months old.

I don’t think

• Jeanne Cardwell
    3 years ago

Yes, light is always better IMO, bottom 2 photos look great, first one looks a little dark, probably the lighting. Keep us posted!

• partim
    3 years ago

You're making good progress! What colours did you mix 50:50?

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jeanne Cardwell - yep first photo was around 7:45pm. The angled window faces NW, the flat window due north.

When I was spraying the paint looked white. Incredible. So whit in fact, I missed about a 12”x 4ft piece of wall by the window.

Would you recommend adding to this post or starting a new one for continuing advice?

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@partim

SW wouldn’t do the 50/50. They said I’d have to buy a gallon of each and mix myself.... so I mixed at home and they color matched.

It was SW Innocence and SW Patient White (same color strip). I weighed out using my kitchen scale in grams.

The match was slightly lighter- but I don’t know if it’s because I did flat and their samples are satin or just the way it is. But I’d never know the difference if it wasn’t swatches over my blend so I was fine with that.

I’m a little annoyed at SW. I gave them my room dimensions and they said 1 gallon of paint will be plenty- even though the app said 1.4 gallons.

So I bought one (two separate men said a gallon will cover it fine- especially because we were spraying...)

After I was a little short with 2 gallons of primer (even though the SW guy said it would be plenty) my husband drove out (an hour trip) and got another gallon. It’s a good thing he did. I have about 1/4 gallon left over. I’m not 100% sure I’d pay the extra money for SW in the future- plus the trek to get there. I can’t recall- but I think a gallon was around $60-$65. I went with their Emerald Line (not the new pro line). I’m hoping that the selling points for me (touch your matching perfectly) is true. Especially since I didn’t got with a gloss that’s easier to clean.

• Jeanne Cardwell
    3 years ago

I would keep this post going until you finish the room.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I wonder if the two colors had different bases. If so, they can't just mix 50/50. If not they were just giving you a line - they can and should have been able to mix 50/50. The bases are actually different colors.

• pkpk23
    3 years ago

Room color looks great.

For future painting, I can recommend SW Super Paint line and they often have 30- 40 % off sales.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

SW wouldn’t do the 50/50. They said I’d have to buy a gallon of each and mix myself.... so I mixed at home and they color matched.

Painting out a sample of your final, custom color is what I said you'd have to do. I knew asking them to do a 50/50 mix would never work.

What you were asking them to do wasn't reasonable or realistic.

Because there is no way to combine two formulas to result in one, different color. That's simply not how paint bases, colorants and formulas work.

The fact that the formula for the Color to Go Jugs aren't the same for the gallons just added another layer of impossibility to what you asked them to do. To make the matter even more complicated, oftentimes the colorants for a Color to Go Jug aren't even the same for quarts or gallons.

Formulas are the absolute least important part of a paint color. There is no part of it that describes, defines or enables you to control color. It's just a recipe.

And there is more than one way to mix the same color. In other words, there might be two or three different recipes that result in the same paint color.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

The color formula is simply the amount of various pigments added to a base.

1 cup sugar

4 tbsp cinnamon

is the same as

1/2 cup sugar

2 tbsp cinnamon.

Paint bases are a combination of many ingredients. Base 1 has a high amount of white pigment added, but is not pure white, it is still mixed with resins and other ingredients that impact the color of the base. Base 1 can be made whiter by adding additional Titanium White Pigment. Base 2, 3, 4 have less Titanium Oxide so that darker pigments are not lightened by the white

As you can see below, Base 3 has very little white pigment and is almost transparent when dry.

If you have 2 colors that have 2 different bases and mix them at home 50/50 you need to buy 1 gallon of each color to get that 50/50 mix or do a color match that calculates the difference in the color of the bases.

If you have 2 colors and they are using the same base you can take the gallon formula for each, cut it in half and add the resulting amounts of each pigment to the base and you will get the same color as you mixed at home.

Confusion occurs when someone has not done the experiments at home and just assumes using 50% of the colorant will result in a color that is 1/2 as light as the original.

Add 1//2 the pigment to a base 3 paint and you may not see much of a color change, but it will be more transparent and require more coats of paint to cover.

Add 1/2 the pigment to a base 1 when the only pigment added was Titanium White and your paint will be less white than the original color, not whiter.

Color matching technology is good, but we all know it is not perfect. As the OP mentioned, the matched color was lighter than the sample she provided. Others have told stories of color matching between brands and by different stores. All SW stores have the same colorants, but the tools used to match color may not be the same age, same quality or may or may not have been maintained and calibrated at the same intervals. The tools used to add colorant may also be different. One may be based on 1/128th of an oz and another at 1/64th of an oz. The pigments being added may be from a different batch and have very slight variations in color.

We also need to remember that paint color is a result of the paint after it has dried, and the method of applying paint, the temperature and humidity, adding thinners and the wicking properties of the surface being painted all impact the dry paint color. It is the reason touching up paint usually requires that we re-paint an entire wall and we need to prime dry wall patches well before painting the whole wall - the drywall patch will wick the moisture from the paint faster than the painted surfaces around the patch. Wicking impacts both the color and the gloss level of the dry paint surface.

The goal is to get a paint color that is reasonably close to the color you have sampled. It will never be exactly the same. Even 2 gallons of paint mixed at the same store with the same formula will not be perfect matches. This is why painters mix the gallons together when using multiple gallons of paint (Boxing Paint). If they switch gallons mid way through a wall you may notice the change.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lori A. SawayaI didn't know about the different bases. That makes perfectly good sense.

Yes, I did end up doing exactly what you told me to do. I requested drawdown as well.. and the guy was like-- well I can swatch it on an index card for you- is that what you mean? A different guy ended up just painting it on my sample (about 5 x 5) and blow drying it dry.

If i was spending thousands I'd have needed a something a little different. But for my project it worked well. I'm very pleased with it. I had totally forgot about color matching.

Thanks!

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jennifer Hogan Thank you for the examples! I had no clue about the bases being different. Someone else pointed it out too.

I was on my walk this morning and thinking about the 50.50 option. I'm a big cook / baker, and I was thinking how if someone loved my brownies and my macarons, so they stacked together and LOVED them.. I couldn't just put half the ingredients of each in a bowl and expect it to come out.. so your explanation furthered Lori's comments.

The SW guys told me (since again they were so sure I only needed 1 gallon) that I should just stop at a corner and switch to the new paint if I needed more. So not doing it mid wall. Live and learn for next time!

I'm working on a comment of what type of curtains I should do. Would appreciate your thoughts :D

Thanks again! I really adore the color - and am still amazed at all the color shifting that happens!

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The next thing I can move fairly quickly on is curtains. The room, especially in summer is going to be very bright around her bed time (naps will be pretty bright too).

I originally was just going to do flat panels with the clips on a curtain rod. Then someone suggests a floral bed set, I really love the green pattern it's subtle but for sure a patter) and I adored the valance. My mom is skilled enough to sew just about anything - but I don't want this to be a huge project that takes her weeks of sewing. She's fast- she made a period dress for me ( lots of piping and pleats) in 2 long days. But, I'd like to keep the design simple - unless there is a lot of bang for our buck.

SO, I am leaning that way. I also wanted to do a pom pom edge- but the trim is almost as much as the fabric! Could I do the pom poms on just the valance? Is there a different "hang" I should do?

I want to be able to draw the curtains (they will be black out) closed at each nap. I'd also like to keep the blinds (and the valance would be just low enough to cover the blinds when they are pulled, for light control when it doesn't need to be dark- but the sun needs some filtering. I know there will be a lot fabric- but my goal is to leave as much as the windows open as possible.

Should I do a corner curtain rod?

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is how the ceiling turned out.

Debating painting the fan blades white until we upgrade the fan.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Just read your whole thread. Next time you paint, no need to use Emerald. My painter (who has been painting for 30 yeas and only uses SW) says the Cashmere line is as high as you need to go for quality indoor paint. Anything else is overkill.

That said, the color is lovely. I like your idea to paint the fan blades white to blend with the ceiling.

The fabric is so pretty. Perhaps your mom can make a dust ruffle or pillow for your rocking chair so you can use it in more than 1 place. I sewed my niece's entire crib ensemble for her before she was born-dust ruffle, bumper, sheet and comforter. It was a lot of work but my sister still has it put away 22 years later!

Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    3 years ago

Yes, I did end up doing exactly what you told me to do. I requested drawdown as well.. and the guy was like-- well I can swatch it on an index card for you- is that what you mean? A different guy ended up just painting it on my sample (about 5 x 5) and blow drying it dry.

Some stores have actual draw down cards but it doesn't matter what they use as long as you can see and compare a dried sample of your color.

And just to reiterate, trying to manage paint colors using the formula is a complete and utter waste of time.

Ignore anyone who tries to tell you otherwise.

This is not a hobby for me.

It's my job.

I'm not speaking to color from an arts and crafts point of view.

I've seen and done just about everything you can think of when it comes to trying to manage architectural coatings using the formula and the base.

Trust me when I say that futzing with the formulas is not the smart way to go about getting the color you want.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

LKB

Love the way this turned out!

You asked about curtains. I don't know the style of your furnishings or the types of window coverings used in the rest of the house. I often repeat styles from room to room, but have done some custom window coverings when the mood hits.

Since you have a busy fabric I would do something that is less full. (Not Rod Pocket or triple pleat).

I love wave fold / ripple fold pleated curtains, but they do require custom hardware and you would need to search for cordless hardware since this is a baby's room.

A simpler solution is to do flat panels with loop tape.

https://www.dritz.com/product/rod-loop-tape/

I like this better than gromets or hooks.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

As for using paint formulas to create custom colors - I have done this many many times.

It is simply math.

I don't do this for a living, but I could quit my day job and do easily earn a living doing this. The local paint stores and realtors often have customers give me a call if they need help picking colors.

The qualifications for being a color expert or color consultant are completely self - proclaimed. There are some who have degrees in design or other training, but nothing is required. You could open shop and begin offering your services tomorrow.

• partim
    3 years ago

Are these curtains that you will be opening and closing a lot? You may find that rings slide more easily than fabric loop. I like clip rings. So easy. Just hem the fabric all around, then clip the rings at intervals along the top. Hang from a decorative rod.https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/syrlig-curtain-ring-with-clip-and-hook-black-80224096/

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jennifer Hogan

I really like the Rod Loop Tape. I'll show my mom.

The rest of the house--- doesn't have much going on. The only curtains I have up are the ones left by the previous owner. They are neutral in color and have a faint leaf design. They are on large grommets. There is the drape and then a sheer in the main living spaces.

I'll come back and post a photo.

We have lived here 2 years and all I have done is bought 2 sofas. We are using my old bedroom furniture from highschool. The day we closed on the house, we found out we were expecting. Unfortunately, I had a misscarriage and then we were gone for a whole month for the holidays... got a puppy... and the next thing I know I am pregnant again. I think I went through some depression which is one reason I didn't get a nursery done (but mostly- her room is upstairs, so she was in our bedroom for 3 months, then we moved her to the first floor office until 6 months)... I was finally getting excited to start making this place a home... had picked out my kitchen table and chairs, living room rugs, end tables, our bedroom furniture- and COVID hit. We are very conservative- and decided to halt all non essential spending. I'm a consultant and work has been almost non existent - but it's picking back up.

And now my dining chairs are out of stock. Go figure.

We are doing her room first- because its small enough and we already had a lot of big pieces so even if we do nothing beyond the curtains for a few months it will be nice in the mean time.

I'm hoping by August I can get going on the rest of the house!

Here is my living room inspo.

My kitchen (I know the chairs and table don't go the best, but I need an extendable table that can seat 8/10 - that has butterfly leaf, and a no corner legs, and the cross support is talle enough to vacuum under - and my mom has very similar chairs that are extremely comfortable- and we always end up around the kitchen table playing games and I want comfortable chairs!)

And our bedroom set I plan to get, and our current bedding. Which I settled on because the one I really wanted was over $600... and my husband said no. :P

Hopefully that gives you an idea of what I like. I like to think I am transitional... but who knows.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

@LKB

You have had a lot of life happen in the past 2 years. Your home is obviously functional, nothing really needed to happen and you had time to learn what you love and what you don't love about your home. You have had time to envision your home, figure out the colors that you love and style of furnishings you want.

My advice, make a plan for how you want to use color in each room and how the colors will flow from room to room. You love blue and soft greens. Guessing that you look good in blue, maybe have blond hair and blue eyes and blues set off your eyes and make you feel like a 10.

Color is more important than people know. When we experience joy we mentally take note of the colors surrounding the experience. When we see those colors it triggers the release of dopamine to our brains and we feel joy all over again.

Often these colors are colors that look good on us, in general people like feeling good about ourselves and that brings us joy.

It looks to me that you have already chosen blues and greens for the living room and bedroom, you have pink in the baby's room and it looks like it is the perfect shade of pink to complement the blues in the master bedroom.

Do you have a favorite complement that you love with blue? Pink, peach, coral, soft yellow or do you generally wear blues, greens and tans?

I found an example of a whole home color palette - not created by me, but by a designer who did a fabulous job of using color and having it flow from one room to the next - I just wish they had pictures of the kitchen.

Once you have a plan you can take your time, work on one room at a time, go shopping with your mom and baby, go to estate sales and home shows and art shows and craft shows and furniture stores and garage sales. I have always kept a furniture/decorating budget, setting a bit of money aside each month for larger items and a bit of money aside for the smaller items. It makes me more conscious about what I am willing to spend on an item. Do I postpone getting a new sofa to buy this amazing dresser or piece of art?

Savor the process, buy one thing here and one thing there as you fall in love with things you find.
    Waiting to buy good furniture will save you money in the long run as you don't need to replace it. .

I have been in my home for 3 years. Bought a new television for my living room shortly after moving in. I placed it on my old TV stand. It was okay, it worked, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted. Just last month a piece came up on Etsy - it was perfect. It was the right style, height, width, length and wood. It didn't take me a minute to put it in my cart and make the purchase. Now when I walk into that room I look at it and smile. My bedroom furniture is actually a set that I had seen 25 years ago. I loved the set, but at the time couldn't begin to justify the cost (It was over 7k and way outside of my budget.). I bought something else, but kept the brochure in my wish book. About 6 years ago I saw it at an estate sale, absolutely pristine condition and now only $2000. My girlfriend who was with me at the sale couldn't believe that I still had the original brochure from all those years ago. My heart sings when I walk in and see my wonderful bedroom furniture.

At the end of the day, the things you do to improve your home and the things you buy to fill your home will make your house uniquely yours. It will tell stories of the places you have been and the days you spent with friends and family. Every room will bring memories that will fill your heart with joy. That is really what this journey is all about.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I plan to open close every day for naps / at night for sleeping so at least 3 times a day.

My mom likes those clips too- so since she is doing the work I’ll let her decide.

Thanks for the link!

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

@LKB

i think I’d do a casual curtain style- rod pocket drape or tie up style like this

Don’t worry too much about your house right now. You’ll appreciate “not caring” about it during this phase of your life- focus on cleansliness and baby safety and having fun and wait on anything else...enjoy these early years with your baby...buy quality pieces and decor you LOVE only as you need and find them. Old furniture and bare walls are perfect for babies to explore (mess up!).

You have an unprecedented amount of time cooped up in your house right now (baby + covid) and I’m sure the house looks like one big to-do...resist the temptation to stress yourself out about it.

I speak from experience. My daughter is 6, and the last year or so we’ve finally started putting money into the house (we’ve been here 10 years). What we like and what works for us has become much clearer over the years.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Katie B.

Thank you!!

I definitely need black out curtains. But that vallance is SO cute!!!

Yes- I’m enjoying life now but I’m also older (34) and am looking for some things to be marked off my list!

Slow but steady!!!

I’m posting some fabric I found for a supporting fabric. Next!

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jennifer Hogan @Katie B.

I was just picking up the curtain fabric (which hobby lobby screwed up- ugh) and I found these 2 patterns for 1/2 off.

There is only 2-5/8 of the check pattern- but I have a few hobby lobbies in the area I can go to.

Plenty of the other fabric.

Thoughts?!

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

I love the first, although it’s slightly pinker than I’d like with your floral.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Katie B.

That’s what is throwing me too.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@katie B. I just googled pink check fabric and this came up:

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

Perfect. Repurpose it!

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Katie B.

Sending to my mom. She wants to make the toddler bedding and sent me this. Obviously my floral. White sheets. Pillow case and back of comforter the alternate pattern (she likes the non check- I’m leaning check! )

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

the basket weave is the right pink

you can’t go wrong really

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@katie B. Omg how did I not see the “basket weave” but now I can’t unsee it!

They must have had 15-20 yards of that- and of course it’s the more expensive of the two! (But still 50% off)

I swear I just need to make a choice and move on!

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@katie b. Still deciding on supporting fabric....

But just for the sake of size... this is a 5x7 rug (I got it free when I was dumpster diving in our neighborhood l! Haha. It’s at my moms house now and looks great with her style.

Do you think it’s the right size?

I’m not a huge fan of rug on carpet but the carpet is builder grade and new carpet isn’t in budget just yet. Plus the color is 🤢.

So I want something a little softer for her to fall on.

You like my snow sheets?! The room needs help being dark enough with this summer sun! And Hobby lobby messing up the fabric order so I’m still waiting for the rest of the floral to come in! My dog thinks anything I put on the floor is an invitation to lay on. Spoiled spoiled spoiled.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@katinoaradise

How lovely she still has it!!!

Yes, mom is working on the toddler bedding. She may sew a sheet in the floral if we have extra fabric.. which I think we will because hobby lobby screwed up and I think I bought more than needed!

I love the pillow idea for the rocking chair.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@katinparadise see above... I tagged you wrong!

• Katie B.
    3 years ago

What about a sheepskin rug? You can get them cheap at IKEA (or amazon). Sheepskin is the only “rug on carpet” I ever seem to like.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Katie B. I’ll check out the rug when I got back to ikea.

We are making progress! I had tons of issues with room darkening fabric so we actually found some room darkening ones at ikea for $35 a pair.

Anyway, curtains should be done by Tuesday! I’m so happy. All I have is hardware hung and my my just pulled down the curtains to hem.

100% if anyone wants a nursery done for you baby.. get it done before they get here. Ha!

• suezbell
    3 years ago

A child now in a crib will be needing a calming vibe -- it is in your best interest for the child's bedroom to have a calming vibe..

Is that floral fabric bedding and/or window treatment? That's likely more appealing to an adult than a small child -- has a "busy", crowded "where's Waldo" vibe to it.

Seriously consider neutral colors for the wall and a not very busy pattern (with limited colors) for any rug. A child that is crawling or walking around barefoot would likely want a soft feel more than a complex pattern.

Bedding and curtains can be relatively easily replaced as a child ages but you don't want to be redoing the walls or flooring or rug each year as the child's interests and tastes change.

For bedding/window treatments and rug, you might choose a half dozen patterns you would accept and then see which one the child, without nudging, gravitates toward -- if, of course, the child is old enough to reach for one or the other.

For a little girl's room, you might consider a somewhat more muted/pastel color with more space in between -- floral, yes, but less flower and more background.

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Jojo-Designs-Watercolor-Childrens/dp/B083W11V8S/ref=pd_lpo_201_img_2/136-9494044-5156007?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B083W11V8S&pd_rd_r=ed95dc46-79e6-4ce5-870a-6db67f55fa4c&pd_rd_w=iHpSU&pd_rd_wg=SpLge&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=F5CNWVTBD4HSRFJ9637D&psc=1&refRID=F5CNWVTBD4HSRFJ9637D

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Jojo-Designs-Watercolor-Childrens/dp/B07NF1FS65/ref=pd_lpo_201_img_1/136-9494044-5156007?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07NF1FS65&pd_rd_r=ed95dc46-79e6-4ce5-870a-6db67f55fa4c&pd_rd_w=iHpSU&pd_rd_wg=SpLge&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=F5CNWVTBD4HSRFJ9637D&psc=1&refRID=F5CNWVTBD4HSRFJ9637D

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/genevieve-gorder-twin-floral-quilt/s330285?localedetail=US&a=1552&campaignid=1733408149&adgroupid=67501599306&targetid=pla-616762710400&pla_sku=330285&pcat=HSW&ag=kids&scid=scplp330285&sc_intid=330285&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3Nv3BRC8ARIsAPh8hgJRKt9mGHNW9LF0Vml_Ny_YHK-1szgoaTcLFoEDMtfES7MkuHuLaUwaAoQMEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Jojo-Designs-Yellow-Sunflower/dp/B07W62GCXJ/ref=pd_sbs_201_5/136-9494044-5156007?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07W62GCXJ&pd_rd_r=96353260-4c51-4b78-b84c-6df3fbda5bd9&pd_rd_w=l7UP5&pd_rd_wg=ZQ0Ax&pf_rd_p=bdc67ba8-ab69-42ee-b8d8-8f5336b36a83&pf_rd_r=MXZ1GM6T1MQWH4ZZXBC8&psc=1&refRID=MXZ1GM6T1MQWH4ZZXBC8

https://www.wayfair.com/Vera-Bradley--Coral-Floral-Cotton-Reversible-Comforter-Set-A306A17PKEBS-L1221-K~VVBB1034.html?refid=GX434587141676-VVBB1034_28510238&device=c&ptid=905354799537&network=g&targetid=pla-905354799537&channel=GooglePLA&ireid=52813520&fdid=1817&PiID%5B%5D=28510238&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3Nv3BRC8ARIsAPh8hgKZP9VbYf84_orI72DuhPbedezoHzY9kCFpLXm8bcdyi7hXYceBtVwaAs1VEALw_wcB 

https://www.countrydoor.com/p/elena-floral-mini-comforter-set-766746.html?source=google&code=PLA_Campaign-Computer&medium=inhaus&link=766746&cm_mmc=google--PLA_Campaign-Computer--All+Products--766746&cm_mmca1=ABA&mkwid=sQ1PiwG4h-dc_pcrid_431602253261_pkw__pmt__slid__product_766746_pgrid_34406745551_ptaid_pla-804416356480&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3Nv3BRC8ARIsAPh8hgJbBLXOWkQZDeP4CI-96ckpJ4askCD2NpjmtTHXdZ3rc7W0-dKj-IwaAg5VEALw_wcB

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@V @decoenthusiate @partim @houssaon @irene morresey @everdebz @decormyhomepls @ Jeanne cardwell @partim @katie B. @jennifer Hogan @Sarah @sabrina Alton interiors @suezbell

Here is this mostly done room! Thanks for all your help. I still need to paint her bookcase before brining it in.

And I realize once she’s out of the crib I need to move stuff and child proof it.

In front of her play mat is a low mirror she’s loving.

I’m happy- of course with how it turned out but mostly that I’m “done”.

The green (colors aren’t showing well) are black out curtains from ikea. To save money and not weigh down the room we kept them on the outsides of the windows to frame. Worked well. Very impressed with how much light is blocked. I didn’t need pitch black... but 98% is perfect!

I learned a ton from you all! I’ll be back for sure for other rooms!!

Jury is still out on rug. I may skip.

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, mom is making me a changing pad cover and seat cushion in the basket weave.

We have enough fabric to do some kind of toddler bedding at some point

• LKB
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@suezbell

I really see how more background feels light and airy and more child-like. And in hind-sight, would have made for a more youthful room. I’ve had the fabric for a few weeks now (all 12 yards!)

I like your idea of selecting a few options I like- then letting her pick from there and will do that when she’s older.

Her room is mostly done besides her bookshelf. I plan to keep her overall room to nap/sleep time or quiet play / reading. She has a play room (which I need to decorate next!), that has a little more going on.

But yes, I agree bedrooms should be calming- for any age.