It's a tree!

plllog

My little lemon tree seems very happy. I swear the center leaf grew half an inch just today.

SaveComment21Like6
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

It's very cute!

1 Like Save    
CA Kate z9

Congratulations! ( It looks so good in that red pot. )

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

Groot!

You must be so proud ...

2 Likes Save    
Sooz

Awwwww, a baby! Congrats!

1 Like Save    
party_music50

Yay! That's growing fast! You should have lemons in no time. :)

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

lemons LOVE to be fertilized. Use it half strength per bottle Rx.

Fertilize weekly, weakly. [or vice versa]

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Adorable!!! I see something lemony and luscious coming from it some day. :-)

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

How wonderful to be able to grow lemons. Too exotic for Brittany!

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)

Did you grow that from one of the seeds inside a lemon?

Save    
chloebud

Love this book...a good one to go with that little tree.

1 Like Save    
plllog

Yes. I have a big, mature lemon tree which fruits all year. I rarely see the flowers, but I assume they must be there. Sometimes a lemon, which is still nice and juicy, will have seeds that are sprouting. Some weeks ago, I asked here if it were worth planting and tending one. I was just after a little plant, given the affirmative, I've been growing this little one by my sink with the orchids. Orchids actually do better outside, but I only put them out if they get ants (sometimes I'm given an anty plant).

IC, frost and snow are too exotic for lemons, and aren't seen here. I was in the high desert once, in the Winter, and saw a few snowflakes come from the sky, I was in Germany for a few days once, at Midwinter, but while the sun was wan, distant, and only out for five hours, there was no snow. I've seen it on the ground in the mountains, and in glaciers, but I, like lemon trees, seem to be too exotic for Brittany. ;D

1 Like Save    
plllog

LOL, Chloebud! Send me a copy in about 8 years, and we'll see if the tree is up to provisioning it!

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I still have an organic lemon in the fridge, been there for probably 3 weeks; would that be cold enough to have killed the seeds or could they still be viable?

Save    
chloebud

plllog, let me know how the tree's doing in 8 years and I'll send the book!

It's crazy, lemons here are about 80 cents each right now, and I can't even give all of ours away. Our tree was here when we bought the house. I can it's really old and would cry if something happened to it. I'm such a lemon fan...just looking at them makes me happy. :-)

1 Like Save    
plllog

I don't know much about gardening. Or, I should say I know a lot more about gardening than people who know nothing about gardening, but it's next to nothing compared to people who really know about gardening. That said, there's no knowing if your lemon's seeds were viable to begin with. My tree was hard to find. I demanded an old fashioned, acidic fruit one. It's probably a Eureka, but not one of the newer, sweeter ones. A lot of the new stock is cloned and grated onto strong rootstock. Clones often aren't strong for traditional reproducing. The seeds in my lemons, if they're left on the tree long enough, often sprout inside the lemons, as did the one I planted, which is why I thought it might work. There's no way to know if my little tree will ever fruit. As a baby houseplant, it seems strong and happy. It may not breed true, however. We'll see in 8-10 years. :) My tree was about 8 years when it arrived, and took a couple of years to strongly fruit, but some of that time was surely acclimation. Citrus often need a year or two of rest after transplanting before they fruit (again).

Yes, Chloebud, lemons are little packages of tart joy! Do you know the age or your tree? They can survive past 30, but they do get elderly and have a finite lifespan. There was a lemon tree here, too, but it was barely alive, and long past fruitful, and didn't take long to just die. I have no idea the age. I hope your tree is hardy and will bloom and fruit and make you happy for decades to come.

2 Likes Save    
chloebud

plllog, I have no idea how old ours is. I need to check with the gardener since he also worked for the previous owners for many years. Our tree is way back in a corner in our backyard where there's not that much sun. Some of the branches go over into the yards of two different neighbors. I've told both neighbors to please help themselves but they don't seem to. I've always got a bowl, basket or other container of lemons on a counter in the kitchen. I like to include some of their leaves, too Just that much nicer.

1 Like Save    
Cloud Swift

Our trees are pretty old. They were mature when we bought the house and we've lived here around 35 years. There are 2 really large ones in the way back and a dwarf next to the house. They produce a lot and the lemons can stay a long time on the tree so most of the year the lemons are there if we need a lemon.

My husband has been doing some grafting on our citrus trees. There was an orange tree that didn't produce good oranges (we think that the original graft had died and the resulting tree was just from the root stock. So he grafted a good orange onto that and once the graft took cut back the old tree. There is a large grapefruit that we hope to convert to an orange tree because we aren't big grapefruit eaters.

Snow is something you visit here - you go up to the snow. I was in my 20s the first time I saw snow fall at sea level - it still seems pretty strange to me that that happens. :)

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

Yay, a real lemon leaf!! The others are just regular leaves.
I'm looking forward to seeing his growth progress.

1 Like Save     Thanked by plllog
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

"ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I still have an organic lemon in the fridge, been there for probably 3 weeks; would that be cold enough to have killed the seeds or could they still be viable? "

The seeds should be fine. Planted directly from the fruit should make a tree like plllogs. Might want to plant at least three in the pot as we always have germination rates. Not all will German ate. lol, Germinate.

Only heat above 130-ish will kill seed. Cold preserves them. Even a freezer. You just will not get the same clone fruit.

A co-worker asked for my Meyer lemon seeds a few years ago. She grew up in California but live in a small NYC apt now. Misses gardening. She gave tiny trees like plllogs for holiday gifts. (mine perished sadly) it would be 3-4 years old now.

You can also plant heirloom tomato seeds directly from the fruit in your fridge. Or dry them on a p-towel. I saved seeds from a baby delicatta squash from misfits that I just planted. I dried them since they were from a squash a couple months ago.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by plllog
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Gonna try it! Thanks for the encouraging info.

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

I adore your little lemon tree, plllog! I hope it grows up, and produces fruit, wouldn't that be something! ETA: Your pot and double saucers are so bright and cheery!

Save     Thanked by plllog
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Tree Care: Common Tree Diseases and What to Do About Them
Learn to recognize trees that may be affected by diseases or pests so you can quickly take action
Full Story
Gardening Guides How to Keep Your Trees Healthy
Ensure your trees’ vigor for years to come with these tips for protecting roots, watering effectively and more
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Tree: Australian Tea Tree
A living sculpture with an unmistakable appearance, this coastal native creates an intriguing landscape scene
Full Story