SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miranda_faciane93

Hate my counters and floor

Miranda James
3 years ago

Help! My husband and I purchased an 80’s ranch style around 3 years ago. I have spend the last 3 years doing what I can to make this house home-y for the time we planned to be here (about 5 years). A recent call to the student loan department brought on the realization that we may be here a lot longer than I originally cared to be.

About 2 years ago we replaced our Formica counters with Manchester by Cambria Quartz counters. It was not my original selection but after being told a seam would end up making the pattern look odd. I chose the Manchester and haven’t really “loved it” . Our cabinets were painted antique white and “distressed” for an old farmhouse feel... but I’m pretty over that style and want a more relaxed modern or transitional look. This year we installed peel and stick tile from Lowe’s in a “stained concrete” look. I hated our builder grade off white tile... but sad to say I probably hate this fake concrete even more. (Don’t tell my poor husband 😬😬). Anyway, the floor is dark and the counters are dark and I really like a clean crisp feel... nothing like what I have.

Our walls are SW Repose Gray. My dad and I have built some shaker style cabinet doors after I nearly fell out from the $17k quote I got from Home Depot. We are taking our time and they are coming along nicely. The bottom will be SW pavestone and tops will be SW Eider White.

My question is what can I do to give my kitchen a more updated crisp feel without having to get new counters or replace the floor just yet?

Comments (100)