SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissaaipapa

I have new roses!

Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Back in fall of 2016 we planted a large order of roses from the Serbian nursery Petrovic. This was our second order from them, following one made in 2012; we planted the roses in a double line on the other side of the tractor road across from the roses of the first order, calling the planting the Second Serbian Bed, the roses of the 2012 order making the First Serbian Bed.

Then things happened. The weather of fall 2016 through fall 2017 turned into the worst drought in decades, with an exceptionally hot, long summer; DH was seriously ill and hospitalized in late winter and spring and again in summer; it was also an extremely busy year for DD, as she finished high school, got her drivers license, applied to university and started there, all of this while getting repeated stress-related infectious illnesses which I caught too.

So, beyond having my helper water the new roses, I more or less forgot about them, and with so much going on in the garden, forgotten they have stayed ever since. I did sporadic work on the bed, weeding parts of it and shearing grass around the plants, though never managing to complete the task; the yard-high grass buried the struggling roses. I noted the holes where roses had failed. This was expected, though grievous, and the holes were discouragingly numerous. So, yesterday I was down there admiring the roses of the First Serbian Bed, which have matured and are in full impressive flower, when across the tractor road a rose looked at me. It was a sunny yellow between yolk and butter, and it had a rosy-red blotch. It was 'Queen of Sheba'! one of the handful of moderns I indulged myself purchasing in the order, and doing pretty well. I looked further, and there were quite a few roses looking quite healthy and happy, including 'The Pilgrim', which in a recent post I expressed a desire to try again in the garden: I had forgotten I'd ordered it. There are two thriving looking white roses, an uncommonly handsome pink HP-looking rose, another modern, purple; numbers of Gallicas, of course, as they're great survivors.

I wrote a map of the bed when we planted it, so should be able to reconstruct what's growing there, with the aid of some surviving labels. There will be the numerous holes to fill, perhaps in fall of 2021, as we already have plans for this fall's planting season. Try, try again. But I am contented, very, very contented, to see all these new roses.

Comments (8)