Am hearing farmers markets are opening again ...

bragu_DSM 5

... somewhere, over the rainbow.

Not here, in the land of FMs, the buckle of the MW. Yet.

masks and distancing are/will be an issue, on both sides of the table.

Edible/food items only. My plants don't fit into that category.

I love to go to the FM and purchase locally roasted coffee and talk to folks as a MG.

People are social critters. Thus it's not easy to take the 'social' out of 'social distancing.'

SaveComment12Like
Comments (12)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
John Liu

Farmers’ markets have been open pretty much throughout here in Oregon, although sparsely attended for a while, but as of a couple weeks ago, my local FM seemed fairly active with sellers and buyers. All vendors wearing masks, pretty much all customers, booths set up with spacing.

I feel that the risk of retail shopping is generally fairly low if masks are worn, even more so in open air. The more virus particles you’re exposed to, the more risk. Well under 1% of the people you randomly encounter in daily life will be shedding virus. The chance of being exposed to enough virus to get sick, if you are only briefly around that one shedding person while both wearing masks, and breezes are quickly carrying away particles - seems pretty low.

I have thus gone to my FM a couple times, and will continue to do so. I am still minimizing my trips to grocery stores, because they are enclosed spaces. I strongly favor the stores that are requiring masks and limiting crowding, and actively avoid the stores that aren’t looking out for my safety or their employees’ safety.

Basically, imagine that someone is smoking a cigarette in a place, would the smoke gather and linger - then try to avoid that place - or would it quickly disappear - that’s a better place.

Save    
plllog

Farmer's Markets closed here for awhile, and not all are open, but many are. The modifications include limited numbers allowed to enter, and movement through the market is one way. Everyone must wear face coverings and the FM gives coverings to those who need them. There are hand washing and sanitizer stations all along the route. I think there are some barriers. There's no sampling and in some locations the visitors are not allowed to handle the produce. In others, it's up to the vendors. It has mostly been groceries, not nonessential things. I started getting CSA boxes that are delivered to the house, rather than having to deal with it. :)

Save    
party_music50

They just announced that an area farmer's market would be opening here last week -- at a church! -- right at the beginning of Phase 1 opening. I think they can only sell food stuff.

Save    
Jim Mat

I am CA, the FMs in my County did not close, but there was “traffic” control and chalk and tape on the street for distancing.

Save    
l pinkmountain

My local ones in PA have been open for a couple of weeks. All made good adaptations to minimize personal contact. Outdoor markets are safer than indoors if you follow CDC guidelines for proper distancing, minimal food handling, and folks wear masks. Also, many participating farmers are doing pre-orders with no contact pick ups. Our local farm market moved to a larger public space so that parking and vendor areas would not be so tight. But these are rural and suburban locations. I can imagine in urban areas, it is going to be tough. But not tougher than grocery shopping or any other social activity.

Save    
2ManyDiversions

Only our larger FM didn't open, and I stopped going 2 years ago as the produce was high and not up to par, and even the baked goods were pricey but not very good if you do your own baking... but the local stands stayed open. Those I loved last year, but now... No masks, no distancing, and quite crowded. No thank you. I will miss the peaches, they were incredible.

Bragu, I hope you find a local, safe, FM soon : )

Save    
plllog

Just saw this on TV. It's stupid, but it made me laugh. Obviously, pre-virus.

Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Surprised to find out most of our markets are open and have been all along. Just the outdoor markets. Less vendors. Some vendors did quickly build websites to order ahead and pick-up. Social distancing and masks are mandatory so no 'shaming'.

It has been a tight system for 30 years with only farms selling their own produce they grow...no purchasing and re-selling. No crafts, trinkets, or tube sox, lol. Plants are fine if you grow it, homemade soaps, etc, and such are fine as long as you have edibles.

Prices have always been good. I've shopped the UnionSquare market for years. Usually packed with strolling lookers not buying much but a snack. Most now it seems want to get in and out more comfortable shopping open air instead of a grocery.

1 Like Save    
Jim Mat

A new vendor at the FM in my small town is a local restaurant. The restaurant had their own garden, serving site grown produce in the restaurant.

With SIP, the restaurant began selling their produce at the FM. The restaurant also tried offers take and reheat Foods. I saw savory pot pies, scones, beef stew, chicken soup....Usually a baked item and a take and heat comfort food dish, plus their produce.

A vendor was selling CSA type produce boxes.

Berries are often very inexpensive and delicious....I think restaurant closures have resulted in a surplus of fruit.

Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

2MD, I don't blame you for not wanting to get into those crowds. Even if you're getting Neulasta, a compromised system is too fragile for that. Can you maybe sweet talk a friend into going when the peaches are in season and getting you some?

Our FM's are starting up but right now it's mostly veggie plants, which I don't need. And we have a pretty extensive garden, but no fruit. So when those start coming in is when I'll go (yep, love fresh peaches!!) We've been getting incredible strawberries from our neighbor's berry farm. More $$ than grocery store but soooo much better! And local!!

Save    
artemis_ma

I am hoping my local farmers markets will open. The one I attended most often last summer was never much crowded. And I loved the goat meat and fresh veggies that I may not be able to grow here as well. The goat guy also sold duck eggs, so creamy.

I'm sure there will be social distancing and mask wearing plans in place - but people who attend farmer's markets are probably a more considerate batch of humans than the ones in many supermarkets.

Save    
Gooster

The outdoor FMs in my area have been continuously open, I believe, although I have not gone. It would be interesting to see to go. It is outdoors, well ventilated and with wide aisles. It would be better than a supermarket, unless it was super crowded.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Moving 8 Things to Learn From Open Houses (Whether or Not You’re Buying)
You can gather ideas, get a handle on the market, find an agent and more
Full Story
Decorating Guides Hemp, Hemp, Hooray! This Superplant May Be Legal Again in the USA
Hemp products are durable, sustainable, antibacterial and much more. Will the plant finally get the status it’s due in the States?
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Openness Meets Intimacy in Wisconsin
Courtyards, a terrace and thoughtfully placed windows connect a home to the outdoors in a dense Madison neighborhood
Full Story