SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

Trailrunner, some sourdough questions...

jojoco
3 years ago

Trail, If you could use a distraction, I'm your girl. I've just enough sourdough information to make mistakes. I was given a cup of four year-old starter in March. I've faithfully been feeding it once a week, marking it with tape, and then the next day, after it has doubled, I remove a cup and begin the process of making the dough and the original starter goes back in the fridge where it will await its next feeding.

So here are my questions.

-What is "discard"? If I wasn't making bread, would the amount over the tape line be the discard?

-How do I increase my amount of starter if I want to keep several going, and/or share with friends? Would the discard be the new starter base?

-one week, I was a day late in feeding the starter and a brown clear liquid formed on the top. Just a bit. Looked like a darker beer. I poured it off and kept going. Should I have just stirred it back in?

Thanks for your help. Please feel free to expand on my questions and share some of your sourdough knowledge. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to learn how to get better at this.

Jo

Comments (13)