SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gregory_thomson

Carry over garlic from year to year

Gregory Thomson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My first time growing 5 types of garlic in a raised bed this year, and I'm starting to now pull some up.

Best one so far - pic attached

I could probably see me pulling up many in about another 3-4 weeks - middle of June.

I'm in SoCal - zone is 9b/10a.

From what I understand it's best to plant in Fall.

So if I harvest most in the middle of June, what do I then do with those I want to re-plant in October?

Just re-plant all the cloves from one of each bulb in the same raised bed right after harvesting? And if I do that, should I hold off watering that area for a bit, or will the 100+ temps mean I need to keep them with some water to make it to Fall?

Harvest, and keep a bulb from each in a 'curing' kind of place - cool, dark place with air flow - and they will be good still in October to plant?

Some combination of watering and planting the cloves of each bulb in containers, keeping in a more controlled environment (garage) so the 100+ temperature outside doesn't mess with them?

How do you best carry over from year to year to keep it going?

The garlic I've gotten from the store seems to start going green, and sprouting, in less than a month. I'm assuming home-grown is better able to carry over 3 months to re-planting, but that's just a hunch.

Comments (3)