SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neohippie

Terrible Garlic Year

neohippie
13 years ago

Any of my fellow Texans having a terrible garlic year? I think I'll be lucky if I get anything to plant for next year. Forget about enough to eat.

Last year was my first year planting garlic, and it went great. I got the garlic sampler from SSE, which had 10 varieties of heirloom garlic. This year I replanted 8 of those varieties (2 of them didn't do well), plus 5 more from a generous GardenWeb trader.

But then we had this hard freeze in February where it didn't get above freezing for three days straight (unusual around these parts), followed quickly by this awful spring we've been having where it hasn't rained in two months, and temperatures have been in the HIGH 90's with very windy conditions. (You might have heard of the wildfires in Texas.)

I've been trying to keep up with watering my garlic every day, but the wind dries things out so fast, and then there's nothing I can do about the heat. Most of my garlic has died before it even started to bulb up. I think the freeze knocked out most of the softnecks, and then the summerlike heat in March and April is finishing off the hardnecks. It shouldn't be getting up to 97 or 98 until AFTER all the garlic is harvested.

It's really disappointing. I had such a great harvest last year, and I was really looking forward to some of the unusual heirloom varieties I got from that trade. Now I'm going to have to rely on lousy store garlic for at least a whole year, and I'll probably have to start from scratch buying all my planting stock again this fall.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor