Buying Chicken During the Pandemic

sheilajoyce_gw

I don't know what is going on with poultry production, but buying poultry in a grocery store sure has changed. It is easier to find boneless, skinless pieces than intact. You'd think with all the shortages of butchers/meat processors that the more labor intensive boneless and skinless poultry would not be the primary product available. Also, the chicken breasts are huge. Where did all the normal sized pieces go? The ones I find look like they just might be turkey breasts.

SaveComment3Like1
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maifleur03

The reason the pieces are larger is because in some areas the chickens are older when they are butchered. Growers would rather hold the poultry for a period of time hoping the processing plants reopen than have to kill and destroy the carcasses.

1 Like Save    
joyfulguy

I've heard that they've bred the chickens to produce breasts so large that it's hard for them to walk, they almost fall over.

ole joyful

1 Like Save    
DawnInCal

I'm finding the opposite. I haven't seen a boneless, skinless chicken breast in weeks. I'm actually happy about this as I prefer to buy breasts and thighs that still intact, and until recently, they have become very difficult to find.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros How to Approach Your Sales Strategy During the Pandemic
In this webinar, business growth strategist Jessica Marx gives a sales pep talk for design and remodeling pros
Full Story
Industry Research Half of Homeowners Have Continued Remodeling During the Pandemic
Sheltering in place has inspired homeowners to improve their homes, according to a new Houzz survey
Full Story
Backyard Ideas Is a Backyard Chicken Coop Right for You?
Find out the features to include in a backyard chicken coop, and see how to build or buy one
Full Story