SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ediej1209

Piroshkis revisited

So ... I am a bad Piroshki Mom. When I made my first batch a couple of months or so back, I only made 1/2 of them up and put the rest of the dough in the freezer. So week before last, I pulled the dough out and stuck it in the fridge with the intention of making them either that evening or the next morning
Then I hit a spell of not-so-great days and didn't get them made. And then forgot I had the dough in the fridge. I found it yesterday. Yikes. So I thought, well might as well see what happens. Dough was kind of a funny very light greige, but smelled like bread dough so I set it in a greased bowl on top of the refrigerator, where I promptly forgot about it again for a few hours! However, it did rise a little. So I made the piroshkis up using coleslaw mix (cabbage & carrots) sauteed in olive oil and 1/2 slices of provolone cheese and pepperoni. After they were made up, and allowed a bit more rising time, I gave them an egg wash and dusted them with flaked salt. It was pretty late last night so after they came out of the oven I packed them in a big ziplock bag and put them in the fridge. Just heated a couple in the microwave. They came out surprisingly tasty, slightly chewy but not tough. Can't ask for better than that, especially considering how neglected they were!

Comments (11)

• plllog
    3 years ago

Brava!!

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 thanked plllog
  • lindac92
    3 years ago

Yum....sharing the recipe for your dough?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 thanked lindac92
  • bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago

ditto on the recipe please

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • Sooz
    3 years ago

Success, yes? Good for you!!

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 thanked Sooz
  • party_music50
    3 years ago

I've never had or seen a piroshki! I researched it a bit and the closest I've had would be a saltena (Bolivian) or a pasty from London. Similar and just the fillings change?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 thanked party_music50
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I used this recipe for the dough:

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/the-nosher/how-to-make-russian-piroshki-just-like-grandma/

The dough is apparently nicely freezable and also pretty forgiving. The first batch I made I used the traditional filling per the recipe but this batch I added a few things like pepperoni. And then sprinkled flaked salt on top. Next time I might do a handheld pizza!

• Lars
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've mostly made them with meat fillings that included onion, but I should probably try a cabbage filling as well, or maybe a combination.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 thanked Lars
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lars, the sauteed cabbage is phenomenal in these. I can't have onions, but I bet if you did an onion/cabbage mix it would really be good!

• plllog
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

2Many, this is the thread we're revisiting:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5867587/pirozhki-anyone#n=22

I didn't make mine--I was already sick and not up to it.

Edie, I keep forgetting to say how impressed I am by your use of cole slaw mix. Clever!

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 thanked plllog
  • 2ManyDiversions
    3 years ago

Aw, heck plllog, I remember that now! I've got way, way too many 'recipes to make'... thank you for the link.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7 thanked 2ManyDiversions
Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!