Do you like bran muffins?

caflowerluver

I was in the mood for some this morning so made a batch from my old Betty Crocker's 1950 cookbook. I usually just have a bowl of All Bran cereal but haven't had some in awhile so decided to make them. DH is not a big fan and he will usually eat only one to be nice. DS will eat a couple, but that leaves me eating all the rest. I will eat 2-3 and put the rest in the freezer for the future. BTW, Nala (dog) got to some spilled bran before I could sweep it up. Hope it doesn't have an adverse effect on her. Do you think she will be OK?

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Suzieque

I like bran muffins a lot, except not when they are too sweet. I prefer to make them with Miller’s Bran as opposed to bran cereal. I haven’t made any in quite a while so thank you for the reminder!

I can’t imagine what harm some bran would do to the dog.

Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
Annie Deighnaugh

I like them but haven't made them in a long time...

Always remind me of my GF who complained when she started college that she was getting backed up from all the fiber-less foods they served, so I sent her a batch of bran-prune muffins which worked like a charm so then I sent her the recipe!

1 Like Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
Michael

Yes! Sometimes we add raisins or carrots.

Edited to add: I could also do prunes!

caflowerluver

This recipe had raisins but sometimes I use chopped apple or dates instead.

Save    
Michael

My daughter uses jalapeno peppers and those are good with afternoon teas.

Judy Good

I love the 6 week muffin recipe. Easy to make the mix, I usually share it. I will try to find the recipe. Nothing like fresh bran muffins when you want them.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Like gran muffins very much. However, haven't made them in quite some time for some reason.

Marilyn_Sue

I like the Raisin Bran muffins that keep for six weeks in the fridge. I made those some weeks ago. I have more Raisin Bran on hand to make more. I like mine sort of sweet.

Sue

glenda_al

6-WEEK RAISIN BRAN MUFFINS

1 (15 oz.) box Raisin Bran cereal
1 c. oil
3 c. sugar
4 beaten eggs
1 qt. buttermilk
5 c. flour
5 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt

Mix cereal, sugar, flour, salt, and soda in large bowl. Add beaten eggs, shortening and buttermilk, mixing well. Store in covered container (Tupperware) in refrigerator until desired. (Will last up to 6 weeks in refrigerator; use as needed.) Fill muffin cups 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
Raye Smith

I love bran muffins, just don't eat more that two a day. I stopped making them because I haven't found (or looked for) a natural substitute for the Crisco oil in the recipe.

Your puppy may need to spend some time outside after eating the bran.

Toby

I thought I didn't like them but after being on soft food for three days after dental surgery I was in desperate need of fiber. I made the All Bran recipe and added a teaspoon of cinnamon and the zest from an orange. They were delicious and I plan to make them regularly.

eld6161

Caflower, my dog get a few spoonful of Raisin Bran crunch (sans raisins):that my DH shares each morning.

I’m sure Nala will be fine.

ETA: my dog gets a taste of everything we eat. He’s healthy as a horse.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
dedtired

I never met a muffin I didn’t like.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
glenda_al

When I had family at home,I always had the recipe, I posted, ready to prepare for work day/school mornings.

So easy to have the mix already in the fridge and make as many as you like. And the smell of them baking while everyone is getting ready to go their merry way for the day.

jane__ny

Never liked them but I never made them. The ones I had tasted like cardboard. Dry and just tasteless. Guess I never had gourmet bran muffins.

Jane

lindac92

Love a good bran muffin....for a while Iw as making oat bran muffins, while my husband was alive as he had the beginnings of a cholesterol problem we tried to control with diet. I made a big batch and kept them in the freezer and they microwaved very well.....and were really tasty with some butter...;-)

sprtphntc7a

eld6161: he's is adorable, love his ears!!!

artemis_ma

Like the dog. Bran muffins not so much.

Judy Good

Glenda, that is the recipe I use except I use a box of "All Bran" Cereal instead. I leave rasins out. You can add when baking if you want them.

Toby

Jane, I was under the same misconception. The recipe with All Bran is moist and flavorful. I recommend adding cinnamon and orange zest.

This is the recipe I used.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/zella-lanes-2-week-bran-muffins-recipe

King Arthur has another almost identical recipe that makes a smaller batch. I haven't tried it though. There's also a pumpkin bran muffin recipe on their website.
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/bran-muffins-recipe

l pinkmountain

I like the idea of bran muffins, but have yet to find a recipe I really like. I think I don't like the taste of bran. I am fine with oat bran, which is what I sub for in most recipes.

Jasdip

I love bran muffins. Mine calls for molasses, nuts and raisins. I don't always add the raisins, or if I do just a few.

caflowerluver

I substituted brown sugar for white sugar and that gave it a more molasses kind of flavor. I love molasses cookies, gingerbread cake, Boston brown bread, dark rye bread, and almost anything made with molasses.

Save    
Jim Mat

A favorite way to enjoy bran muffins....bacon sandwich.

For a group, nut loaf bread bacon sandwiches, for 1-2 a muffin is a good portion size.

cloudy_christine

Years ago I went with a small group on a garden tour several states away. One of the ladies brought bran muffins for us all to eat on the way, I guess because we'd be sitting in the car for most of two days. They were fantastically good, and I was never a bran muffin fan. She knew we'd want the recipe – she was ready with a printed copy for each of us! It is a very basic bran muffin recipe, originally with walnuts and raisins. She replaced those with black walnuts and chopped dried apricots. Wow. It was a great combination.

georgysmom2

Don't think I've ever made bran muffins but make a zucchini bread with All Bran cereal, raisins and pecans. Love that.

P.S. The Bran cereal is actually very good for your dog. Georgy gets to lick out some residue in my bowl.......Google it.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Farm Your Yard Patio-Perfect Berry Bushes Like You’ve Never Seen
Small enough for pots but offering abundant fruit, these remarkable bred berries are a boon for gardeners short on space
Full Story
Moving How to Make Your New House Feel Like Home After a Move
Leave the chaos of relocating behind and start putting down roots with these 10 simple tips
Full Story
Life How to Outsmart Backyard Critters
Learn to think like a raccoon, skunk or squirrel to keep your home safe and your garden intact
Full Story