Cake Pan Cakes for when supplies run low

Sooz

I got this in an email from KAF and thought I'd share...the 3 hole method was something I didn't know!

P.S. If anyone has a T&T recipe for one of those MW "cake in a mug" that they've actually MADE and LIKED, please post! I've had a variety of gummy or bad results (and one of those was from you, Pioneer Woman--gummy & nasty yuk!)

Cake Pan Cake article & recipes/KAF

SaveComment16Like1
Comments (16)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Martha Scott

My Mom made this when I was a child -- she called it Crazy Cake and it was the chocolate cake she made most often. May need to go mix one up!

Save     Thanked by Sooz
plllog

I have supplies. I'm going to make a real cake to try out my new flour, but I was thinking strawberry bundt cake, but I have oranges in my CSA box coming so I think I'll make orange chiffon. i have eggs.

I'm not familiar with cake pan cakes, per se. If you're out of eggs and baking powder, the soda and vinegar is great. I like the idea of making it right in the pan, which conserves cleaning and honors the kind of minimalist ethos of the recipe.

When I was living with only two gas rings and a baking pot, I had baking powder, so just adapted basic cake to fit the pot. The pot is a ring shaped pan with a solid roof lid, with side vents, and a flue which directs the heat up the middle. I make cakes and bar cookies in it just fine without changing recipes except for quantities.

I've seen people make microwave cake on cooking contests on TV where the judges were impressed, but I've never tasted a good one.

Save     Thanked by Sooz
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I will have to give that a try! Thanks so much. I'm pretty sure I got the email but thought it was for a sale item and I don't need anything just now so I deleted it. Silly me!

Save     Thanked by Sooz
bbstx

I made a Cake Pan Cake for the first time about 2 weeks ago...or maybe it was 2 months. I’m almost sure it wasn’t 2 years. You know how time is these days! I digress. The blogger who posted the cake I made called it Crazy Cake.

I made the Spice Cake version using Chinese 5 Spice Powder. It was delicious fresh out of the oven and it was still good the next day. By the 3rd day, I was tiring of it, and on the 4th day, I pitched it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the cake except I was eating it by myself. DH isn’t at all adventurous when it comes to food.

I’ll probably try chocolate next. That is more his speed.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Sooz
bbstx

I made the chocolate cake from the KA site. I was going to make my mother’s best friend’s fudge icing, but DH decided he wanted the cake plain with ice cream. The chocolate cake is pretty tasty! I’m glad I made it!

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Sooz
foodonastump

The vanilla cake is in the oven now. My family is looking at me like I’ve lost my mind. Random weeknight baking isn’t a normal occurrence in this household. I’ll report back!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Sooz
bbstx

FOAS, are you going to ice it? If not, how are you serving it? Just plain, which is good too! Let us know how it turns out!

Save     Thanked by Sooz
foodonastump

Yes I made the optional frosting. Which unfortunately means I’m impatiently waiting for it to cool down.

The spice cake was calling me but I don’t have any tomato juice.

Save     Thanked by Sooz
annie1992

Grandma also made a version, she called it "snacking cake", and never frosted it. I ought to make one but I'm going to want frosting!

Annie

Save    
foodonastump

Very good, esp considering how quickly and simply it came together. Though a small amount, the almond extract overpowered a bit. I’ll probably just omit next time. Look forward to trying some of the others!

Save     Thanked by Sooz
Sooz

I was waiting for you to post as I was leaning toward making this tonight! Thanks, FOAS!

Save    
lindac92

I also read those recipes.....I have made that chocolate one many times.....It's a good cake for young kids to start with.....good for a blue bird or cub scout activity.....and you don't have to plan treats.
Glad to hear the vanilla one was good.....and I will remember your advice about the almond flavoring. I always think it can be overpowering.....so I use it by the drop

Save    
bbstx

FOAS, do you think using amaretto instead of almond extract would have helped? I love, love, love almond flavored cakes probably because my mother made it exactly once a year - my birthday. However, I’ve recently started using amaretto instead of almond extract. It is a bit more subtle.

And now I’m in a quandary. After jumping on the scales this morning, I’ve decided my COVID -19 (like the Freshman - 15) needs to be reined in. For at least a week, I’m giving up carbs. [sigh]

1 Like Save    
party_music50

My father's family had a chocolate version recipe and we called it "Dad's 3-Hole Cake"... always one of my favorites, especially when frosted with a cooked white frosting that isn't icky sweet, or just sprinkled w/ confectioner's sugar. The batter makes great cupcakes too.

ETA: re the MW cake in a mug, I made up a gf recipe to try last year and it came out pretty good. I used a soup mug (wider and more shallow) rather than a coffee mug and I'd recommend that to help it cook more evenly in the MW.

Save    
foodonastump

bbstx - I think amaretto could work, flavorwise. I’ve got gallons so maybe I’ll try. It’d have to be more than 1:1 substitution though, and I’m not sure how much. I recently replaced some cream with some ouzo in cookies, a couple tablespoons worth, the taste did not come through at all and the texture suffered a lot. Of course here I’d be subbing our water not cream and that matters.

Save    
foodonastump

ps - Thanks for mentioning the scale. I’m actually down quite a bit through this, but I see now I’ve crept up a few pounds off my plateau. Duly noted.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining Holiday Party Prep: Ready Your Supplies
Take stock of serveware, wash off the dust and clear out the pantry now for low-stress entertaining later
Full Story
Most Popular 7 Low-Maintenance Countertops for Your Dream Kitchen
Fingerprints, stains, resealing requirements ... who needs ’em? These countertop materials look great with little effort
Full Story
Holidays Where to Put Holiday Pots, Pans and Platters the Rest of the Year
If your holiday meal plans involve large cooking and serving vessels, consider these 9 kitchen storage options
Full Story